PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The perfect pick for the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackPMiller

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Kenny Phillips S/CB Miami. Is Asante coming back? How much longer can Rodney Harrison go on? Phillips is the guy that the Pats should really think about. Hell, I would not mind drafting this guy to replace Corey Chavous and have him play next to Oshiomogo Atogwe. Atogwe is showing signs of turning into a pretty good Safety. Chavous looks old and lost out there right now. But with the health of Little, the guy that I believe is the best fit for my Rams is probably Vernon Gholston. Little is really our only speed rusher, and he is out for the season, and has shown durbility issues, Gholston would be able to take over for Little. I'm not sold on Chris Long as most are. He gets all this pub mainly because of two reasons, a real good senior season, and being the son of Howie Long.

Kenny Phillips S/CB Miami. Is Asante coming back? How much longer can Rodney Harrison go on? Phillips is the guy that the Pats should really think about. Hell, I would not mind drafting this guy to replace Corey Chavous and have him play next to Oshiomogo Atogwe. Atogwe is showing signs of turning into a pretty good Safety. Chavous looks old and lost out there right now. But with the health of Little, the guy that I believe is the best fit for my Rams is probably Vernon Gholston. Little is really our only speed rusher, and he is out for the season, and has shown durbility issues, Gholston would be able to take over for Little. I'm not sold on Chris Long as most are. He gets all this pub mainly because of two reasons, a real good senior season, and being the son of Howie Long.

LOL! I've been saying either Kenny Phillips or Rey Maualuga for the Patriots since the end of the 2007 draft. If Maualuga stays in school it might seem like a bad thing for NE, but maybe they can land Phillips this year, and Maualuga next year :)

Hey, I can always dream...

Did anybody watch any of the Miami games this season? Their defense lacks discipline and Phillips was a total free lancer.

BB does not allow free lancing on his defense. Also Merriweather outplayed Phillips last season and Merriweeather is not exactly lighting it up this year for us.

But I do agree, we need secondary help and their are no shut down CB's in this draft, so maybe BB sees value in him at #2.

Brandon Flowers late 1st-2nd
Trae Williams late 2nd -4th

Those are guys who I think BB might want.

I watched the Miami-Virginia game specifically to scout Kenny Philips, and you know what-- I didn't get it. He was no help against the run, and didn't look interested in putting his helmet into anyone. Pure cover DB. Our safeties have to by physical and hard hitting.

If that game is any representation, BB will not be impressed. I sure wasn't.

Did anybody watch any of the Miami games this season? Their defense lacks discipline and Phillips was a total free lancer.

BB does not allow free lancing on his defense. Also Merriweather outplayed Phillips last season and Merriweeather is not exactly lighting it up this year for us.

But I do agree, we need secondary help and their are no shut down CB's in this draft, so maybe BB sees value in him at #2.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartiee CB Tennsesse State is getting alot of hype, and for his cover skills. Granted he is not a big hitter, but the kid with a great coaching staff can learn. Of course, he'll need to gain some weight, since the kid is only 6'3" 178, but the coaching staff could tell him to go outside with you Pat fans to join in some tailgating food. I bet some of you have some real good tailgate food that could get him to gain a few needed extra pounds.

Last edited:
Top rated CB I read was Mike Jenkins South Florida
Never seen him play so I can't comment.

What are the opinions of the fallowing prospects at Safety?:
Josh Barrett (6'2" 225lbs) Arizona State
Jamar Adams (6'2" 210lbs) Michigan
Quintin Demps (5'11" 202lbs) Utep
Bobbie Williams (6' 214lbs) Bethune Cookman
Tom Zbikowski (5'11" 207lbs) Notre Dame

Also, when it comes to CB's I think Antoine Cason's probably going anywhere from mid to late first round. I've watched him play a few times this season, and I think he's quite the nice CB, with a very good combination of size, speed, ball skills, and I like his ability to take it the distance.

Last edited:

I did see Jenkins play, and HE looked real good. I'd vote for that. But it would mean a trade down into the teens, at least.

More than likely Malcolm Jenkins of Ohio State will be the CB to go in the top ten, Micahel will, as of now, be in the latter half of round one.

More than likely Malcolm Jenkins of Ohio State will be the CB to go in the top ten, Micahel will, as of now, be in the latter half of round one.

It really doesn't help matters that the WR Michael Jenkins is out of Ohio State.

What are the opinions of the fallowing prospects at Safety?:
Josh Barrett (6'2" 225lbs) Arizona State
Jamar Adams (6'2" 210lbs) Michigan
Quintin Demps (5'11" 202lbs) Utep
Bobbie Williams (6' 214lbs) Bethune Cookman
Tom Zbikowski (5'11" 207lbs) Notre Dame

Also, when it comes to CB's I think Antoine Cason's probably going anywhere from mid to late first round. I've watched him play a few times this season, and I think he's quite the nice CB, with a very good combination of size, speed, ball skills, and I like his ability to take it the distance.

Barrett looks awfully stiff. He might get drafted as a weakside linebacker. I like the rest. In fact, they make up my wish list for safety, along with Reggie Smith and Simeon Castille, who play CB now, but look to be free safety types in the NFL due to their size and lack of top-end speed.

Anyone see Charles Godfrey out of Iowa play?

just looking at his profile, he could be the type of mid-round CB that the Pats seem to like drafting (Samuel, Hobbs).

He's got height (6'0) and speed (4.35-4.4). What I'd like to find out more about is his hip swivel / change of direction abilities.

I think we will trade down and go for a OLB or a CB/FS/SS I'd love to see Reggie Smith in the team. Being an Oklahoma fan I've watched him and he is always in the play. Great open field tackler, smart, and very versatile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes