PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats Should CONSIDER Replacing Matt Patricia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but Baltimore wasn't in their "Nickel" defense 90% of the game the way Bedard suggests. In fact, it's an outright lie.

The Baltimore Front 7 of Suggs, Lewis, Ellerbe, Kruger, Ngata, McPhee, with Jones /Kemoeatu (rotating at LDE) were out there a majority of the time.

Cough, cough.

I'd rather see McDaniels replaced than Patricia

Re: That Pats Should Replace Matt Patricia

My post/theory isn't just focused on the Baltimore game, though.

I agree that personnel is key.

Then what is it based on? In pretty much every game where he had two competent corners and one competent safety to work with, Patricia's defense did pretty well.

Then what is it based on? In pretty much every game where he had two competent corners and one competent safety to work with, Patricia's defense did pretty well.
Fair point. But my reaction and post wasn't based on one game. It was based on the points I made in my OP and other posts, which you likely are not concerned with.

I would take the Mangenius back.
At the time, I didn't think he was anything special. But I think he's improved, and he seems regretful. So if they can bury the hatchet, I think he'd be a big upgrade.

There's just something wrong with this team's inability to develop defensive players.
CBs, Safetys show flashes of potential, then decline.
The Front 7 shows flashes then tapers off at the 'good but not playmaker' level

And it's been a really long time since we heard 'Bill the Genius really outcoached them'. It's really just 'the offense is so good that when they're clicking, which is most of the time, we just blow out the other team'

I want Crennel back. Not a fan of Patricia whatosever

Fair point. But my reaction and post wasn't based on one game. It was based on the points I made in my OP and other posts, which you likely are not concerned with.

I think folks are also missing a key point.

Our college scouting people stinks in evaluating CBs and Safeties for us.

Really, these guys need to be replaced.

Not to mention our Secondary coaches, stink too.

12th snap:
29niidc.jpg

13th snap:
34pzw5z.jpg

14th snap:
28jhxt.jpg

15th snap:
16lfoqp.jpg

16th snap:
254v86q.jpg

17th snap: (Ridley run for no gain on 3rd and 2)
20thvk2.jpg

That's all I'm going to do for now. If people still don't believe that the Ravens played nickel basically the entire game, then I'll gladly do more.

By the way, there's one base snap remaining, and that was where the Pats used 7 offensive linemen and the Ravens matched with a 3 safety, 0 CB defense. The two Welkerless snaps and that heavy goal line snap were the only three snaps Welker missed all game, and the only three snaps the Ravens didn't use their nickel defense in.

Bravo......notice how the bloviators suddenly fled like rats. All that nickel, yet McDaniels put Brady in shot gun on 3rd down 13/14 times with zero shot gun. They don't trust their O line even vs nickel. That's an indictment

I'd bet the guy who started this thread wanted Bill O'Brien gone a few seasons back.

the same threads were made about Dean Pees how did he do once he got some real talent to work with ? the pats need a pass rushing DT and at lest one realy good CB

And it's been a really long time since we heard 'Bill the Genius really outcoached them'. It's really just 'the offense is so good that when they're clicking, which is most of the time, we just blow out the other team'

I'm not so sure I'd entirely agree with that. I think there are still plenty of times where Belichick gets high praise for just about everything that he does.

Actually, just last week we heard plenty of things about his "legacy" and his great gameplanning to take away the Texans best players 2x in one month.

Overall though, I do see what you're getting at. For a guy with so much of a defensive background, we've seen the defense underperform plenty of times, but I also think that he does a good job of covering up weaknesses--much more than anyone realizes.

I'm not personally nearly as concerned about Matt Patricia, mostly because Belichick is still the one who oversees everything and works closely with that side of the ball.

In other words, Patricia is still somewhat of a figurehead, how much so depends on your specific idea or defintion. Belichick is closely teaching him, and has been for quite awhile now. Just like BB himself, Patricia wasn't even named DC in his first year, just to stay out of the pressure and limelight. I think it would take a lot more poor plays from the defense next year to actually have him replaced.

I don't think that making a new change there will necessarily immediately improve the situation or give us the results that we're looking for. Drafting, making some moves in FA, and having players stay healthy should though.

12th snap:
29niidc.jpg

13th snap:
34pzw5z.jpg

14th snap:
28jhxt.jpg

15th snap:
16lfoqp.jpg

16th snap:
254v86q.jpg

17th snap: (Ridley run for no gain on 3rd and 2)
20thvk2.jpg

That's all I'm going to do for now. If people still don't believe that the Ravens played nickel basically the entire game, then I'll gladly do more.

By the way, there's one base snap remaining, and that was where the Pats used 7 offensive linemen and the Ravens matched with a 3 safety, 0 CB defense. The two Welkerless snaps and that heavy goal line snap were the only three snaps Welker missed all game, and the only three snaps the Ravens didn't use their nickel defense in.
Nice work on the pics. Or you could just look at the secondary snap counts:

Ed Reed 83 of 83
Bernard Pollard 83 of 83
Corey Graham 82 of 83
Cary Williams 82 of 83
Chykie Brown/Jimmy Smith 80 of 83

I realize that replacing Matt Patricia isn't the hottest of topics, but here's why I think the Pats should do this:

1. Have you ever read or heard anyone say that Matt Patricia is a great coordinator? I assume the answer is no. There's no positive buzz about this guy. Brady can't say enough about Josh and yet defensive players never talk about Matt. Means something, I think.

2. As the season wore on, we saw more of BB than ever with the D during games. That shot of him coaching the D and just looking up at a Pats TD during the Texans game was cool, as it showed how focused Bill is, but it also was a commentary on Bill's level of involvement with the D, while a good thing in some respects, was more than we might have expected given that he's the HC.

3. Patricia is a younger guy who may not be able to challenge Bill.

4. Tom E Curran has alluded many times on the radio during WEEI interviews that Patricia is not a great communicator. Tom is loathe to criticize, probably partially for fear of losing access, so maybe this means something. I think Tom is a smart guy and knows his Pats stuff.

5. Romeo is available. Eric is available. Both would bring an element back to the team. I'd prefer Romeo. By a lot. But it's clear from hearing Eric on the radio that he knows his stuff and maybe he and Bill have buried the hatchet or will. Winning means more than keeping up a feud, even though Eric did a ridiculous thing.

6. While the D improved last year, it still had many flaws. All the 20 yard plays. All the yards. A fresh voice might help avoid some of those things.

So there you have it. My reasons for wanting Patricia out of his current position.

Thoughts?

CHANGED THREAD TITLE

The Patriots Defense is coming on. This past season Matt Patricia was the official DC, for the first time. I think the Pats defense did a much better job. Everyone expects even better, next season. The quality of his coaching is measured in the results. And how many other coaching staffs have a genuine rocket scientist ?

yeah...but people tend to NOT pay attention to what is WRITTEN...therefore, Sciz SHOWS it frame by frame so that one HAS TO pay attention....it's identical to Faulk's catch on 4th and 2 and the four hold PLUS the in the grasp on Eli's "miracle!!!!" toss.

You see, the subject was broached in writing but when one SEES the arms around the necks of Patriot D linemen they UNDERSTAND UNEQUIVOCALLY what the REAL truth of the situation was in that Super Bowl...so, I applaud Sciz for taking the time to ILLUSTRATE beyond the media's penchant to deflect ,decry, defray and faux debunk, the actual truth as seen by one's own eyes during this last playoff game.

yeah...but people tend to NOT pay attention to what is WRITTEN...therefore, Sciz SHOWS it frame by frame so that one HAS TO pay attention....it's identical to Faulk's catch on 4th and 2 and the four hold PLUS the in the grasp on Eli's "miracle!!!!" toss.

You see, the subject was broached in writing but when one SEES the arms around the necks of Patriot D linemen they UNDERSTAND UNEQUIVOCALLY what the REAL truth of the situation was in that Super Bowl...so, I applaud Sciz for taking the time to ILLUSTRATE beyond the media's penchant to deflect ,decry, defray and faux debunk, the actual truth as seen by one's own eyes during this last playoff game.
Yeah, that ridiculous argument had gone on long enough. It was time to go for the kill shot. It appears to have worked.

Nice work on the pics. Or you could just look at the secondary snap counts:

Ed Reed 83 of 83
Bernard Pollard 83 of 83
Corey Graham 82 of 83
Cary Williams 82 of 83
Chykie Brown/Jimmy Smith 80 of 83

Nice work greg during the season.

Your claim is not fact. Your claim is just an opinion formed without much, if any, thought. This team has had late leads in two Super Bowls where Welker was a starting WR, and both times the defense failed to hold the leads. Welker's salary will not be a reason for a SB win or the lack of one.

Defense wouldn't have had to protect the lead in SB47 if Wes held onto that ball that would have sealed the game

Nice work greg during the season.
Appreciate it. Just trying to do my job and keep my head down.

Maybe I can come back after the Super Bowl and a little rest, and we call all have a long chat/airing of grievances. I'm not perfect, I make mistakes, but I hope to learn from them and am far from a finished product. So I'd appreciate the input and I like to be accountable.

All the best. Really good, fun season. Sometimes this is the way the ball bounces.

Appreciate it. Just trying to do my job and keep my head down.

Maybe I can come back after the Super Bowl and a little rest, and we call all have a long chat/airing of grievances. I'm not perfect, I make mistakes, but I hope to learn from them and am far from a finished product. So I'd appreciate the input and I like to be accountable.

All the best. Really good, fun season. Sometimes this is the way the ball bounces.

You're the man Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey