PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats only have ONE WR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So, here's how I see things after sending BJ away.

Troy Brown is guaranteed to be injured at some point this season. He always has been, as his age has increased.

Caldwell has been plagued by injuries.

Last year was the first year we've seen Branch basically stay healthy.

As best I can see it, we are thus looking at a WR corp of:

Rookie Chad Jackson. Add Bam Childress by default and ladies and gentlemen that could be our WR unit at some point next season.

Alot of the above is tongue in cheek, but my point is we badly need another WR or two, and there doesn't appear to be alot available right now. I'm positive by nature, but is anybody besides me very worried about this????

Somebody convice me that we're in good shape at WR, because I don't see it, AT ALL.

I am not saying your concerns are mute, but it just doesn't matter if we see it or not. BB/SP see the whole picture & we cannot. TC hasnt eve started yet and we are questioning the big picture?

I know of very few WRs in this league who have never gotten hurt. It's the nature of the position. However, I don't think we should assume they all will.

dryheat44 said:
I know of very few WRs in this league who have never gotten hurt. It's the nature of the position. However, I don't think we should assume they all will.

I hear ya, but you can see alot of WRs that start 16 games, or that show a pattern of either staying on the field, or being hurt all the time.

I'll add this to my post. Not only is Troy hurt every year now, but his skills have dropped of dramatically IMO. Caldwell has been hurt alot, and hasn't shown much on the field yet. Bam Childress is an undrafted FA. Chad Jackson is a rookie. Branch is so fragile, BB doesn't even let him play in the preseason.

I'm worried.

Yeah, I wonder how they are going to play a game this weekend.

Brady has a history of injuries: how are we EVER going to live at QB?

Richard Seymour has a history of injuries: how are we EVER going to live at QB?

Any player can get hurt at any time. You can say the same you just did with the ENTIRE roster.

NE39 said:
Yeah, I wonder how they are going to play a game this weekend.

They could get by this week but what about the week after that? This is very disturbing. I'll try not to think about it when I'm putting.

Yes, the loss of Bethel has completely caused the WR corp to become empty since he was incapable of being hurt.

Last year we really only had 2 WRs - Bethel was a non-factor then and it seems clear would have been again - so no loss in my mind... we would have cut him anyway

I'd like to have another few warm bodies in camp via trade or a free agent...

and while I'm not looking at Caldwell as a #2, I think its reasonable to think that he and Jackson will combine for some decent WR numbers

I also think that maybe Troy Brown sees a 25% reduction in his reps - that still gives him 30 + catches.

The reality of the NFL is that your #1 & #2 WRs catch the bulk of the balls - #3 & 4 provide depth have a few catches a game at most

TEs & RBs have plenty of catches themselves... looking at our overall receiver corps we could use more depth in case of injury, but could start the season today and have a very very good offense

Expect to see the tight ends become a much bigger part of the offense this year...why else would we have five recievers and four tight ends!

What's Tony Gaiter ding these days?

Get on the David Patten bandwagon while there's still time!

Last edited:
The WR corps is the same today as it was yesterday. Bethel was never going to be a viable factor at WR.

Andre Davis, Tim Dwight, Bethel Johnson, David Givens. One out of those receivers mattered AT ALL last year. We have added Reche Caldwell and Chad Jackson, a guy who most considered a #1 pick. I feel fine, but I guess adding one more vet - Dez White? - couldn't hurt. No need to worry.

Yesterday...

Yesterday there ws no room for a David Patten on the team. Today they made room for him.

The WR who is the deep threat to open it up for the underneath receivers; the guy who runs the flies and deep posts; who doesn't catch a lot of passes, but contributes.

That job description is now vacant with BJ's departure.

Welcome home David P.

We also have Dan Graham, Ben Watson, David Thomas, Garrett Mills, Kevin Faulk, and Patrick Pass... all very capable pass catchers.

AzPatsFan said:
Yesterday there ws no room for a David Patten on the team. Today they made room for him.

The WR who is the deep threat to open it up for the underneath receivers; the guy who runs the flies and deep posts; who doesn't catch a lot of passes, but contributes.

That job description is now vacant with BJ's departure.

Welcome home David P.

I see us going after Patten as well. He is a dependable vet backup. I'm thinking Caldwell will contribute more than Dwight did, so the only real loss is Givens replaced by Jackson. As a rookie, there is just no wat to know what he will do this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
surely there will be added 1 veteran WR - it could be Patten or someone else
but i am sure someone will arrive

re

Bostonian:

5 players on the O-Line
1 QB
1 RB

That leaves 4 players for a combination of WR's, TE's, and H-Backs. Our base will be 2 WR's and 2 TE's, and we will also use H-Backs a lot more frequently.

We will still be able to run 4 and 5-wide sets, but they will include tight ends. The key will be Ben Watson. The defense can go with a nickel package, allowing Watson can use his size and strength. Or, the defense can stay in their base defense, which will allow Watson to go deep. Graham will run routes or stay in to block depending on whether the defense is blitzing. Jackson and Branch will both be solid threats with good hands.

So... what's the problem again? =)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is valid to worry about the depth of the WRs but not really valid to worry on account of BJ. BJ would have been the #5 WR again, maybe #4 if he could beat someone out. Which I doubt would have been the case.

Plenty of time to get someone after cut downs. Even if Patten is not available someone will be to fill that 4th/5th WR position.

I feel fairly comfortable with a top 4 of Branch, Jackson, Caldwell, Brown. We'll learn how well these guys look when news from the passing camp leak out.

I'm particularly interested to hear how Watson has progressed and how the new kids Jackson, Thomas, and Mills look.

I expect Klecko to have a breakout year at WR, not to mention McGrew and Stone.

D-A-V-I-D P-A-T-T-E-N, clap clap clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey