PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats' front 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan-1982

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
the pats front 7 how do they stack vs other 3-4 teams ?

the pats

NT wilfork,
DE Ty Warren, Mike Wright/Myron Pryor
ILB Jerod Mayo, Gary Guyton/Brandon Spikes,
OLB Tully Banta-Cain, Jermaine Cunningham/Rob Ninkovich,

Miami Dolphins,

NT Paul Soliai,
DE Kendall Langford, Jared Odrick,
ILB Karlos Dansby, Channing Crowder,
OLB Cameron Wake, Koa Misi,

Buffalo Bills.

NT Torrell Troup,
DE Marcus Stroud, Dwan Edwards,
ILB Paul Posluszny, Andra Davis,
OLB Aaron Schobel, Aaron Maybin,

New York Jets

NT Kris Jenkins,
DE Shaun Ellis, Sione Pouha,
ILB David Harris, Bart Scott,
OLB Calvin Pace, Jason Taylor,

Cleveland Browns

NT Shaun Rogers,
DE Robaire Smith, Kenyon Coleman,
ILB D'Qwell Jackson, David Bowens,
OLB Matt Roth, Chris Gocong,

Baltimore Ravens

NT Kelly Gregg,
DE Haloti Ngata, Trevor Pryce,
ILB Ray Lewis, Tavares Gooden,
OLB Terrell Suggs, Jarret Johnson,

Denver Broncos

NT Jamal Williams,
DE Jarvis Green, Justin Bannan,
ILB D.J. Williams, Mario Haggan,
OLB Elvis Dumervil, Darrell Reid,

Pittsburgh Steelers

NT Casey Hampton,
DE Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel,
ILB Lawrence Timmons, James Farrior,
OLB James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley,

Oakland Raiders

NT Tommy Kelly,
DE Richard Seymour, John Henderson,
ILB Rolando McClain, Thomas Howard,
OLB Trevor Scott, Kamerion Wimbley,

Kansas City Chiefs

NT Ron Edwards,
DE Tyson Jackson, Glenn Dorsey,
ILB Derrick Johnson, Corey Mays,
OLB Tamba Hali, Mike Vrabel,

Dallas Cowboys

NT Jay Ratliff,
DE Marcus Spears, Igor Olshansky,
ILB Bradie James, Keith Brooking,
OLB DeMarcus Ware, Antony Spencer,

Washington Redskins

NT Albert Haynesworth,
DE Adam Carriker, Phillip Daniels,
ILB London Fletcher, Rocky McIntosh,
OLB Brian Orakpo, Andre Carter,

Green Bay Packers

NT Ryan Pickett,
DE B.J. Raji, Johnny Jolly,
ILB Nick Barnett, A.J. Hawk,
OLB Clay Matthews, Brad Jones,

Arizona Cardinals

NT Dan Williams,
DE Darnell Dockett, Calais Campbell,
ILB Gerald Hayes, Daryl Washington,
OLB Joey Porter, Clark Haggans,

San Francisco 49ers

NT Aubrayo Franklin,
DE Isaac Sopoaga, Justin Smith,
ILB Patrick Willis, Takeo Spikes,
OLB Manny Lawson, Ahmad Brooks,

were would you rank the pats and each teams front 7 ?

Re: the pats front 7

wow that is a lot of work...good job. i think the front 7 will be better than last year....or maybe i am only hoping for that...

#1 Pittsburgh Steelers. best LB core in the NFL and a good vet Dline

#2 Dallas Cowboys. best pass rushing NT in the game best LB in the game

#3 Baltimore Ravens. they have been one of the best front 7's for the last 10 years and still are.

#4 San Francisco 49ers. just a lot of young talent on that defense

#5 Oakland Raiders. John Henderson, 6.7 335lbs Richard Seymour, 6.6 310lbs Tommy Kelly, 6.9 340lbs thats one big front 3

#6 New York Jets. i think there system make them look better then the talent level on the team. but they were the #1 defense last year so ill put them in the top 10 lol

#7 Green Bay Packers, lots of good young talent and speed on that front 7

#8 Denver Broncos. they were one of the best pass rushing teams in the NFL last year and now they have a real NT and a lot more talent on the Dline

#9 the pats. the best NT in the NFL but to many ? at OLB so i can't put then any higher for now

#10 Cleveland Browns. a few good vets on the Dline and some good ILB's

#11 Miami Dolphins, they got some good young talent there

#12 Washington Redskins. yes they were a very good defense last year but half there roster has never even played in a 3-4 so i can't put them higher untill i see them play

#13 Arizona Cardinals. they got a good mix of vets and young talent

#14 Kansas City Chiefs. they are still rebuliding in KC but Romeo Crennel, should help that defense out.

#15 Buffalo Bills. again half there roster has never played in a 3-4 and the defense was not great to start with.

I know everyone loves Lamarr Woodley, but besides him and Lawrence Timmons, their entire defense is over thirty or coming off injury (Troy P.). I'm looking at Pittsburgh as the first dynasty to crash.

Are G. Warren and D. Lewis injured or something?:confused:

If Jenkins proves he's healthy, the Jets grouping will be the dominant 7 in the AFC East. Very long in the tooth, but these guys play attack D like I wish NE would. No offense should fear the Pats D with this roster. Warren and Wilfork are solid, the rest are question marks. Was Mayo healthy last year...or did he suffer without Seymour in front of him? Lots of rookie/sophmores being inserted into LB/OLB grouping for Pats. If they progress and BB shows confidence in allowing more attack schemes, this group could surprise. But the bend and break D hasn't held down a dominant O in years...and I don't see this group being any different.

If Jenkins proves he's healthy, the Jets grouping will be the dominant 7 in the AFC East. Very long in the tooth, but these guys play attack D like I wish NE would. No offense should fear the Pats D with this roster. Warren and Wilfork are solid, the rest are question marks. Was Mayo healthy last year...or did he suffer without Seymour in front of him? Lots of rookie/sophmores being inserted into LB/OLB grouping for Pats. If they progress and BB shows confidence in allowing more attack schemes, this group could surprise. But the bend and break D hasn't held down a dominant O in years...and I don't see this group being any different.

Let's see what happens without Mr Conservative (Dean Pees) at the helm of the defense.

Are you thinking Gerard Warren & Damione Lewis won't make the team?

Are G. Warren and D. Lewis injured or something?:confused:

i just gave wright and Pryor, the edge over them to start camp they both may play a bigger roll then wright, or Pryor,

I have Gerard Warren pegged as a starting DE in our defense (based on camp reports so far), and with that in mind I'd probably put the Pats as #7 on that list. I think a lot of people on this board think they'll be worse than they will, and just as many seem to think that they'll be a lot better. Every defensive line on that list has at least one question-mark on it (once you take Jolly off of Green Bay's list, especially), and I can't rate the Broncos very high if they intend to start Jarvis Green.

For talent, I think the Ravens, Cowboys and Raiders have the most. Jets are on the cusp, and Pats are one good OLB from being cream of the crop as well.

Last edited:
We were fifth in points allowed in the entire nfl last year. Many poster think that points don't count.

I also have Gerard Warren pegged as the starting RDE. The four W's and Lewis should be pretty formidable defensive line.

I have Gerard Warren pegged as a starting DE in our defense (based on camp reports so far), and with that in mind I'd probably put the Pats as #7 on that list. I think a lot of people on this board think they'll be worse than they will, and just as many seem to think that they'll be a lot better.

Last edited:

wow that is a lot of work...good job. i think the front 7 will be better than last year....or maybe i am only hoping for that...

I think you're right. We lost Jarivs Green and Burgess (maybe). Add in Spikes/McKenzie and Cunningham. I would consider that a slight upgrade depending on what Burgess does.

I had no idea the Raiders were a 3-4 team, to be honest.

I have Gerard Warren pegged as a starting DE in our defense (based on camp reports so far), and with that in mind I'd probably put the Pats as #7 on that list. I think a lot of people on this board think they'll be worse than they will, and just as many seem to think that they'll be a lot better. Every defensive line on that list has at least one question-mark on it (once you take Jolly off of Green Bay's list, especially), and I can't rate the Broncos very high if they intend to start Jarvis Green.

For talent, I think the Ravens, Cowboys and Raiders have the most. Jets are on the cusp, and Pats are one good OLB from being cream of the crop as well.

I'm getting that impression also. Seems like he's the big dude that can keep defenses from keying on Ty and Vince. I think Lewis might sub on passing downs, but that's just based on others noting his quickness.

They're both wily vets, so there could be a lot of rotating with different fronts, I'm guessing.

2. New York Jets

Kris Jenkins - . He suffered back to back season injuries in 04-05 and then played in like 54 straight games before suffering another, he seems like the type of guy that can recover from that mentally. But can his body do it at 31, playing one of the toughest positions in the NFL?

Bart Scott - Alright, David Harris is the stud of that LB core. He's an less athletic Mayo but he makes game breaking plays - sacks, interceptions, forced fumbles. If Mayo starts becoming a game changer he'll be better than David Harris. But as for Bart Scott, he's been on a downward spiral since 07 but he is very similar to Mayo v Harris. He's average, but he makes plays here and there - something Guyton has never shown to do. Pace is 29, but projects to be pretty solid. Taylor is old as hell, but he's like the Brett Farve of defense. I don't know, I imagine their OLB's will be pretty average. But of course if Revis comes back that secondary turns an average rush into pretty damn good.

**Note - If we're talking about the best defensive team - it goes to the Jets. Just because of Revis, that guy makes everyone around them better.

1. Baltimore Ravens-

Ray Lewis - Every year for the past 5 years I go into the off season thinking, "Oh Ray Lewis is about 30 now, no way he still has it." And then I see that his stats have just about increased as he's aged. No interceptions last year is one bad sign but really, take a look. They are pretty good. You figure even if Ray Lewis starts to suck, he's still better than 90% of the other MLBs in this league. Johnson on the outside is solid, Suggs is hot headed (which as well all know, has costed them) but good, Gooden is the unproven weak-link, if he does turn out to be one.

Defensive Line - Ngata is a beast, not much else is necessary. Gregg, in almost a small comparison to Lewis, is old but reliable. And like Lewis, has shown a dent in the armor by missing two games last year. So again, expect him to slow down a bit - but he's still a very solid NT. Pryce starting would worry me a bit, he's also incredibly old although he seems to still be skilled - good production in a "backup" type of role last year. Fulltime worries me, as I said though. If that's even true, I don't know how Baltimore rotates DLINE. Just going off the rosters given.

3. Dallas Cowboys

Jay Ratliff - Is an underrated DT, he might not be the best run stopper, but he gets sacks, 13.5 in two years and he also gets at fumbles like food. Spears and Orhanskly are pretty mediocre, but they'll stop the run. And when you have...

DeMarcus Ware - You only need average, run blocking DE's. I will argue with anyone about D-Ware being the best pass rusher in the history of the NFL. Anthony Spencer took advantage of his opportunity last year and played pretty well, he should improve going into his fourth year. Bradie James went from having an amazing year to disappointing. And Brooking is old at 34, which is worriesome. For some reason Dallas seems like a team that might not handle runs up the middle well.

4. Green Bay Packers

Defensive line - Ouch... Jolly is gone, Raji is unproven, Pickett is just a filler. The only thing that saves them is having linebackers full of studs and a aging but savvy group of veteran play makers in the secondary, They'll be good, but I think their run defense might take a bit of a hit with the defensive line getting shredded like that overnight. I feel like they have the potential to be one of those teams that just "breaks" though.

5. San Fransisco

Justin Smith - Is a beast, really underrated. Sopo is a pretty trustworthy, blue collar guy. Franklin seems like the obvious weakpoint. Linebackers are young and good besides Spikes, who I'd just say as average on the twilight of his career. Their LBs proved they can play, but they need to be better than good now if SF wants to make it far.

6. Patriots - Lots of youth means there are lots of unknowns. Hard to rank.

7. Buffalo
Last - Pittsburgh - I'm calling this.

Me and Aaron share the same hobbies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes