PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The PATS FO could learn a lesson from JETS FO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is a troll thread or not, but it's hard to argue that the Jets haven't outdrafted/better FO in the last couple years...

when they actually finish ahead of the pats, then you might have a point

when they actually finish ahead of the pats, then you might have a point

Hmm...I could have sworn they made the AFC Championship this year...or was I dreaming?

Not sure if this is a troll thread or not, but it's hard to argue that the Jets haven't outdrafted/better FO in the last couple years...

Well, the draft over the is a question mark. Gholston is one of the biggest busts of all time. Sanchez is still an unknown if he will be good or not. We don't know if players like Shonn Greene, Darius Butler, Pat Chung, etc. can be full-time starters. The Jets have traded away their drafts to get certain players.

The Jets have been more aggressive in free agency than the Pats though.

Hmm...I could have sworn they made the AFC Championship this year...or was I dreaming?

You might have missed the part that they were lucky to be in the playoffs and required a better team to give them a free win just to get above .500, but other than that I guess you have a point.

And I mean hell it's not like there were extenuating circumstances like a week 17 ACL tear to the league-leader in receptions. Surely we should learn a lesson from the Jets on how to build a team that barely finishes above .500!

You might have missed the part that they were lucky to be in the playoffs and required a better team to give them a free win just to get above .500, but other than that I guess you have a point.

And I mean hell it's not like there were extenuating circumstances like a week 17 ACL tear to the league-leader in receptions. Surely we should learn a lesson from the Jets on how to build a team that barely finishes above .500!

======================================================

Excuses aside, because all teams have too deal with injuries, some of us are just trying to be objective.

Unless Joe Namath is part of the discussion, because I can't be objective about Joe Willy.

Excuses aside, because all teams have too deal with injuries, some of us are just trying to be objective.

Unless Joe Namath is part of the discussion, because I can't be objective about Joe Willy.

Objectivitiy says that the Jets were 7-7 going into 2 games in which the other team had NOTHING to play for.

And don't dismiss the facts as "excuses" just because it helps paint your team in a better light.

PS: the quote code is a good enough separator to not need ====

Last edited:
Objectivitiy says that the Jets were 7-7 going into 2 games in which the other team had NOTHING to play for.

And don't dismiss the facts as "excuses" just because it helps paint your team in a better light.

PS: the quote code is a good enough separator to not need ====

====================================================

Then don't dismiss that the Jets were 30 minutes away from a SB.

The =============== are my thing, they make me special, and there free.:)

Then don't dismiss that the Jets were 30 minutes away from a SB.

They were 1 game away and I never dismissed it. They had a mediocre season and played well in the playoffs for 2 games. It is what it is. I wouldn't model a team to emulate what they did last year.

They were 1 game away and I never dismissed it. They had a mediocre season and played well in the playoffs for 2 games. It is what it is. I wouldn't model a team to emulate what they did last year.

================================================

I agree.

I agree.....

We should hire a fat obnoxious head coach that treats the game as a celebrity media outlet of trash talking for all those New Yorkers.

Sexy Rexy Ryan, what a decision.

Sorry...to those who say I am cherry picking..

I forgot to add Greg Lewis and Prescott Burgess, Shawn Springs and Alex Smith

I guess the point I am making is why not target a guy early that you really want and go after him instead of being passive and waiting for whatever crap is left over

You are kidding right?
You want to emulate the Jets because............why?
I guess they changed the rules and NFL teams are now competing against each other and championships will be awarded on March 5th of each year based upon the name value of transactions. Actually playing the games to find out that the so-called steals were actually players that were overpaid for, well who needs that.
The Chargers dumped Cromartie because he is overrated based upon a high Int # 3 years ago, and without a real good replacement in line still want to get better at his position.
Sanchez was a 3rd round talent reached for in the top of the 1st round, at a high cost, who was over his head in his first season. But hey they traded up so it had to be the right thing.
But your right lets emulate the team that hasnt finished with a better record than us in the last 9 years. Because, hey, its all about headlines.

I agree.....

We should hire a fat obnoxious head coach that treats the game as a celebrity media outlet of trash talking for all those New Yorkers.

Sexy Rexy Ryan, what a decision.

Parcells did that quite well here actually....:D

How many Super Bowls had New Orleans won going into last year? How many Super Bowls had Arizona won going into the Super Bowl the year before that? How many Super Bowls had the Colts been to when they won the Super Bowl a few years ago. Quit living in the past and start living in the present and concern yourself with the future. I could care less who we sign today or tommorow and I am not saying we should sign Peppers or Dansby or ripping anyone for not signing anyone today. What I am saying is we darn well better pay attention when the Jets sign guys like Cromartie and the Dolphins are prepared to sign a player like Dansby. We clearly need to draft better and make better offseason decisions or we will continue to be one of the also rans. I sure as heck didn't hear any "In Bill we trusts" the day after we were steamrolled at home by a medicore Ravens team in January while the Jets came a whisker from going to the Super Bowl. Fast forward 2 months and the Jets will be adding Jenkins, L.Washington and Cromartie to their roster. We will likely be without Welker. We clearly need to get much better this year, whether that is today, tommorow, next week, in the April draft, in July whenever, but the present roster will likely fare no better this year than it did last year.

But we won't do it by abandoning the most sound personell approach in the history of the NFL. (We were the only dynsaty of the cap era)
And we certainly won't do that by trading for overrated players, like Cromartie. I am sure Tom Brady was happy to hear the news that he gets to play against Cromartie twice a year. You sound like the mediocre corner who was run out of town by a team with a bad pass defense is Deion Sanders.

How exactly was Mark Sanchez considered a 3rd round talent? He has always been a top notch prospect and if he stayed in school he would have been overwhelmingly the #1 selection in this years draft. Andy Johnson sipping gallons of kool-aid as usual.

Cromartie is going to be scary good in Ryan's defense Chargers were playing zone and his talent is bump and run man coverage.

Jets have drafted far better than the pats the last 4 years, that's when Tannenbaum took over, they are better than the patriots right now, them the facts. It's 2010, not 2001, wake up folks.

Last edited:
How exactly was Mark Sanchez considered a 3rd round talent? He has always been a top notch prospect and if he stayed in school he would have been overwhelmingly the #1 selection in this years draft. Andy Johnson sipping gallons of kool-aid as usual.

Cromartie is going to be scary good in Ryan's defense Chargers were playing zone and his talent is bump and run man coverage.

Jets have drafted far better than the pats the last 4 years, that's when Tannenbaum took over, they are better than the patriots right now, them the facts. It's 2010, not 2001, wake up folks.

===========================================================

But Rex is fat! And Ghoulston is a bust!

How exactly are you basing that the Jets are better than the Patriots as of now? They didn't even win their division. They were gifted into the playoffs. If you really think cromartie will lift the Jets into an AFC East title I almost feel sorry for you. The Jets won't win the division even with the Pats missing Welker for the first six weeks. Sanchez will still be a liability in his second year.

2001? How many division titles have we won since then? and we made it to a Superbowl in 07. The Jets havn't won anything since Joe Namath. Pathetic.

Also, I would Take Welker and Moss over any Jet Draft/trade pick.......

Last edited:
I have also seen every Patriots game for the past 35 years and have read this board on a daily basis for the last 8-10 years. I also run a multi-million dollar business every day and know that if you rely upon past success and do not stay up with your competitors, you are doomed to failure. Don't believe me, look at companies like General Motors. Just because I do not post every day doesn't mean that I don't know football and don't know the Pats. Grow up dude.

You should also know that its foolish to trash a proven successful approach with a knee jerk reaction that a team taking a different approach which has proven to fail is better.

It is always worth a chuckle to watch our fans react to news that another team has improved itself with the standard comeback that that team has a history of ineptitude and we have 3 world championships in the past 8 years. Folks, you are only as good as your present roster and those world championship teams are gone. In case anyone didn't notice, the team with maybe the worst history in the NFL won the Super Bowl this season. Their past failures didn't mean a darn thing this year. For the Cowboys and other NFC teams to sit back and say, well don't worry about New Orleans because we have multiple past Super Bowls and they have a history of losing would have been idiotic last year. Same with us and the Jets and Dolphins. So they don't have any Super Bowl appearances in the last 25 years, they are still both capable of reaching and winning the Super Bowl and we better darn well be concerned with what they are doing. The Jets are clearly going for it and have substantially upgraded their roster over the past 2-3 seasons. They were 1 game away from the Super Bowl last year and we got steamrolled by the not so spectacular Ravens. Everytime I hear the Jets making another move, I cringe at the thought and it kind of reminds me of our team in its glory years. Sitting back and being arrogant and adding guys like Shawn Springs, Derrick Burgess, TBC, Fred Taylor etc. and drafting guys like Chung as our 1st pick and continually back pedaling away from top end talent in the draft isn't getting it done. When we finally decided to hang in there and select a top end draft pick in Mayo, it resulted in our arguably most talented defensive player. Whether we like to admit it or not, losing all of our assistant coaches, our player personnel guy, the veterans from our Super Bowl runs, and not drafting well or bringing in top FA talent (as opposed to washed up veterans) has caused us to slip down a notch. I am not saying that we needed to go out and pay the money to sign Peppers but we can't just sit back and laugh at players like Cromartie going to the Jets and saying that he won't make them better (probably the same things the Jets fans were saying when we signed Rodney). We can't afford to be arrogant anymore because we have no right to be anymore. The past is gone, we are just another team (with a great coach who is now the cordinator of all things and the player personnel guy) scrapping to try to get our 1st playoff win in 3 years and we can't just sit back and laugh at Miami and the Jets when they already shown much more ability to start improving their roster already this year. We need to be hungry again!

Post of the day. Even if you think that the Cromartie move isn't a big deal and that the Jets' front office and coach ARE inept, there's no denying almost everything in your post. The Pats' "backpedaling away" from top talent in the draft is a great way of putting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down