PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats are going to add a reciever....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
They are just too thin at reciever and article after article indicates rumors including the Pats and either Ashley Lelie or Jerry Porter. With Micheal McGrew now injured and likely out for year, Bam Childress nowhere to be found, Deion still holding out and who knows what's going on with Chad Jackson, leaves the Pats really thin at wide out.

If I were the Pats I would make a deal with the Raiders to acquire Jerry Porter for the right price of course. The recievers when healthy and if Branch ever gets his act together would look like this:

1. Branch
2. Caldwell and Porter battling for this spot, the loser gets the #3
3. Jackson
4. Brown
5. Childress

then the 6th spot would be between: Erik Davis, Rich Musinski, Matt Shelton, Zuriel Smith, John Stone

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=150648&format=&page=2

Last edited:
THEARCHIVES said:
They are just too thin at reciever and article after article indicates rumors including the Pats and either Ashley Lelie or Jerry Porter. With Micheal McGrew now injured and likely out for year, Bam Childress nowhere to be found, Deion still holding out and who knows what's going on with Chad Jackson, leaves the Pats really thin at wide out.

If I were the Pats I would make a deal with the Raiders to acquire Jerry Porter for the right price of course. The recievers when healthy and if Branch ever gets he act together would look like this:

1. Branch
3. Jackson
4. Brown
5. Childress

then the 6th spot would be between: Erik Davis, Rich Musinski, Matt Shelton, Zuriel Smith, John Stone

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=150648&format=&page=2

Would love to see Porter, won't happen.
Watch this kid John Stone..he may surprise.

Last edited:
Kelvin Kight has been signed in place of McGrew

Can we just delete this thread? The Raiders have already made it CRYSTAL CLEAR they are not trading Porter. Davis said he wants TWO first rounders, in other words, "F*** you Porter, you're stickin!"

Last edited:
Where did you get that McGrew was INJURED and out for the year. He was NOT placed on injured reserve. He was placed on the Reserve/Left Camp list. There is a difference.

As FG said, they have quite a few, though many are untested. It just means that Watson and Graham will get more recepts or it means that someone will step up.

Stone has been getting a LOT of reps and Kight could, very well, step up and shake up the system.

If the Pats thought someone like Az-Hakim could come in and learn the play-book, he'd already have been in here. The problem is that they have Branch, Caldwell, Brown and Jackson pencilled into the top 4 spots. So they are looking for a KR/WR. And I don't think there are many of those out there unfortunately. Its why they picked up Kight.

Man, now that's McGrew is out, how are the Pats EVER going to replace him? His absence makes them SUPER-THIN at WR.

Chad Jackson will NEVER be back. Article after article says Branch will be out until 2251.

WHAT are the Pats going to do?

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
pats1 said:
Man, now that's McGrew is out, how are the Pats EVER going to replace him? His absence makes them SUPER-THIN at WR.

Chad Jackson will NEVER be back. Article after article says Branch will be out until 2251.

WHAT are the Pats going to do?

:rolleyes:

Don't forget Brady is Pouting because Cassell is the QB of the future:singing:
Patriots will be lucky to win a game this year:rolleyes:

Breathe, people. You're being, once again, chicken little RIDICULOUS.

THEARCHIVES said:

If I were the Pats I would make a deal with the Raiders to acquire Jerry Porter for the right price of course. The recievers when healthy and if Branch ever gets his act together would look like this:

1. Branch
3. Jackson
4. Brown
5. Childress

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if the loser of the #2 battle (which is, and will remain non-existent by your terms - Caldwell/Porter) gets the #3, then wouldn't Jackson get the #4, also meaning the remaining fodder would only be fighting to stay on the roster longest until September?

And if Willie Andrews sticks around, the need for a #6 receiver is lessened. In the past, it was Bethel or whoever was returning kicks/punts. That roster spot will probably be shifted over to the secondary this year, and the 3rd QB spot shifted into the backfield, leaving something like 2 QBs, 5 WRs, 5 RBs (incl. Mills), and 3 TEs.

Also, unless there is an immenent known action or you have some "inside information," it usually isn't best to start a title off with "The Pats are going to..."

Last edited:
If you count Watson as a WR which I believe would be a more accurate description of his role, I think we'll be fine if, or when Branch and Jackson are ready to return to action.

1) Branch
2) Watson
3) Caldwell
4) Brown
5) Jackson
6) Childress (PS)

At TE it looks like

1) Graham
2) Thomas
3) Mills

Last edited:
PYPER said:
If you count Watson as a WR which I believe would be a more accurate description of his role, I think we'll be fine if, or when Branch and Jackson are ready to return to action.

1) Branch
2) Watson
3) Caldwell
4) Brown
5) Jackson
6) Childress (PS)

At TE it looks like

1) Graham
2) Thomas
3) Mills

Right on.

Add in backfield threats like Faulk, Pass, Maroney, Evans (if he makes it), and Dillon, and Brady will certainly have plenty of targets to throw to.

Are the Pats thin at wide receiver? Without a doubt, even with Branch/Jackson.

Are they thin at receiver? Nope.

PYPER said:

1) Branch
2) Watson
3) Caldwell
4) Brown
5) Jackson
6) Childress (PS)

At TE it looks like

1) Graham
2) Thomas
3) Mills

Did I miss something and BB announced that Watson would no longer be playing TE? Or is this just an assumption based on last year's Champ Bailey rundown that he has the speed to be a WR?

Can a 6 foot 250lb guy be counted on to stretch the field play after play? Is Watson planning on dropping 30 lbs to be able to take on the role of WR?

Am I the only one who understands why there's a distinction between WR and TE hence the different positions?

Watson may well be one of our leading receivers this season - that doesn't make him a WR any more than Kevin Faulk would be a WR catching passes out of the backfield.

Last edited:
PYPER said:
If you count Watson as a WR
He's not a WR. He may be the second leading receiver this year in terms of production but it will come as a TE (think Ben Coates).

WAIT A MINUTE, you forgot Keron and Kevin Kight :)

I don't know if the situation is as dire as some of you have made it out to be. I have heard nothing but good stuff about Reche, and when Deion is back I think we will be all right. It's only day 4 of training camp:p

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeSixPat said:
Did I miss something and BB announced that Watson would no longer be playing TE? Or is this just an assumption based on last year's Champ Bailey rundown that he has the speed to be a WR?

First of all.....Relax.

JoeSixPat said:
Can a 6 foot 250lb guy be counted on to stretch the field play after play? Is Watson planning on dropping 30 lbs to be able to take on the role of WR?

Am I the only one who understands why there's a distinction between WR and TE hence the different positions?

Watson may well be one of our leading receivers this season - that doesn't make him a WR any more than Kevin Faulk would be a WR catching passes out of the backfield.

You may be the only one who thinks all WR's run fly patterns on every play. Each player runs different routes. I'm sure they'll utilize Watson in a manner consistent with his abilities.

The point, dear sir, is that "HIS ROLE" doesn't necessarily fit what I'd call a TE. Graham is our TE and Graham's presence will allow us to use Watson more like a WR or an "H-Back". Sometimes he'll be split out wide like a wideout and sometimes he'll probably line up in the backfield like a FB.

I'm not saying he'll never line up as a TE, I'm saying they'll use him very creatively and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him utilized more like a WR than anything else.

The set I'm most curious about is the one back twin TE set where Watson lines up as a WR. We'd have Branch and Watson out wide with Graham and Thomas as the TE's. That could be a DEVASTATING offense for us this year. How would the defense defend that? If they defend the run, we could throw it. If they defend the pass we could run it down their throats. If they play base, we could do both.

This is going to be a fun year.

It's like God told me the other day, "Life is good when you're a Pats fan."

If Thomas comes along, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Watson in the slot a lot more this year.

Not a very profound statement but I thought that I'd throw that out.

stop with these threads esepcially Lelie..he wont fit our system..hes like a Bethel Johnson that can catch better. runs deep..catches it..TD scared to go across middle..gator arms

Porter wont be a Patriot

why would we move Jackson back to #4 when he showed great hands and speed in mini camp? Wasted a 2nd round for a guy to play 4th? If we get a WR..wont be high profile..could be a known guy but will be nothing more than our 4th WR

PYPER said:
First of all.....Relax.

You may be the only one who thinks all WR's run fly patterns on every play. Each player runs different routes. I'm sure they'll utilize Watson in a manner consistent with his abilities.

The point, dear sir, is that "HIS ROLE" doesn't necessarily fit what I'd call a TE. Graham is our TE and Graham's presence will allow us to use Watson more like a WR or an "H-Back". Sometimes he'll be split out wide like a wideout and sometimes he'll probably line up in the backfield like a FB.

I'm not saying he'll never line up as a TE, I'm saying they'll use him very creatively and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him utilized more like a WR than anything else.

The set I'm most curious about is the one back twin TE set where Watson lines up as a WR. We'd have Branch and Watson out wide with Graham and Thomas as the TE's. That could be a DEVASTATING offense for us this year. How would the defense defend that? If they defend the run, we could throw it. If they defend the pass we could run it down their throats. If they play base, we could do both.

This is going to be a fun year.

It's like God told me the other day, "Life is good when you're a Pats fan."

I've been predicting 3 TE sets since they drafted Thomas but that doesn't make Watson a WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes