PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots won't get an opportunity to "trade" Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
What FACTS? Please tell me why and what and BE SPECIFIC, that they cannot AFFORD, in 2009, to carry two good QBs.

Don't give me generalities. I dare you to do so. If you can, I will conceed, but you can't, because I have carefully considered the 2009 CAP situation.

And its is not kosher to say we must sign Wilfork this year when his contract doesn't runout for another season. Or someone else whose contract doesn't run out for two or three more years. They can sign all their own FAs and even sign, specifically, Seymour as well, whose contract doesn't run out until after 2009. :D

----
Miguel at Patscap.com :

Last updated on February 8, 2009 1:35 PM EDT

According to my figures the Patriots' 2009 cap figure is $123,062,338 with 50 signed or tendered players. The 2009 salary cap has been reported to be $123,000,000. I am projecting that the Patriots' 2009 adjusted cap will be $127,000,000. So I have the Pats under their adjusted cap by about $3.9 million. Please note that my numbers do NOT include the cap impact of expected tenders to the Patriots' ERFAs and RFAs or the escalators that may been reached by Logan Mankins, Billy Yates, David Thomas, Ryan O'Callaghan, Ross Hochstein, or LeKevin Smith. My numbers presume that Stephen Gostkowski has reached his escalator and that Jarvis Green has done enough to have earn his 2009 roster bonuses. My numbers also presume that when Ellis Hobbs, Ben Watson, Vince Wilfork, and Nick Kaczur reached their escalators for the 2008 season that they also increased their 2009 salaries by at least the same amount. There is a good chance the aforementioned quartet have earned more.
DISCLAIMERS - My numbers are a snapshot in time. Things will change between the as of date and a future date.
----

This is for 50 players, meanwhile they only have one safety, no punter, no long-snapper, and some of the 50 players are UDFA / camp bodies.

Last years rookie pool number was $4,344,990. It will most assuredly be much higher this year. But, some of them will displace those already on the roster.

At this point they are at or over the cap.

Please tell me exactly where the money to re-sign and sign FAs, extensions, and emergency $$ is going to come from?
I guess it probably wouldn't cause any friction in the clubhouse to rework a half-dozen of the best players to afford one back-up quarterback, so he can make double or triple what they make? Maybe they'll just cut Faulk or Light or Greene to make room for a few JAGS?

As far as Cassell taking an extension, even a two year $8M, or something similar. Just in case he Might be needed. Why would he??? He could go somewhere else and make tens of millions and be the guaranteed starter.

Cassell staying in NE makes no sense for either Cassell or the Pats.

If Cassell is on the roster at $14.6M come September. I will personally shoot a crow, and then fry it in my Turkey cooker.

----
Miguel at Patscap.com :

Last updated on February 8, 2009 1:35 PM EDT

According to my figures the Patriots' 2009 cap figure is $123,062,338 with 50 signed or tendered players. The 2009 salary cap has been reported to be $123,000,000. I am projecting that the Patriots' 2009 adjusted cap will be $127,000,000. So I have the Pats under their adjusted cap by about $3.9 million. Please note that my numbers do NOT include the cap impact of expected tenders to the Patriots' ERFAs and RFAs or the escalators that may been reached by Logan Mankins, Billy Yates, David Thomas, Ryan O'Callaghan, Ross Hochstein, or LeKevin Smith. My numbers presume that Stephen Gostkowski has reached his escalator and that Jarvis Green has done enough to have earn his 2009 roster bonuses. My numbers also presume that when Ellis Hobbs, Ben Watson, Vince Wilfork, and Nick Kaczur reached their escalators for the 2008 season that they also increased their 2009 salaries by at least the same amount. There is a good chance the aforementioned quartet have earned more.
DISCLAIMERS - My numbers are a snapshot in time. Things will change between the as of date and a future date.
----

This is for 50 players, meanwhile they only have one safety, no punter, no long-snapper, and some of the 50 players are UDFA / camp bodies.

Last years rookie pool number was $4,344,990. It will most assuredly be much higher this year. But, some of them will displace those already on the roster.

At this point they are at or over the cap.

Please tell me exactly where the money to re-sign and sign FAs, extensions, and emergency $$ is going to come from?
I guess it probably wouldn't cause any friction in the clubhouse to rework a half-dozen of the best players to afford one back-up quarterback, so he can make double or triple what they make? Maybe they'll just cut Faulk or Light or Greene to make room for a few JAGS?

As far as Cassell taking an extension, even a two year $8M, or something similar. Just in case he Might be needed. Why would he??? He could go somewhere else and make tens of millions and be the guaranteed starter.

Cassell staying in NE makes no sense for either Cassell or the Pats.

If Cassell is on the roster at $14.6M come September. I will personally shoot a crow, and then fry it in my Turkey cooker.

I don't think Crow would taste as good as Turkey in your cooker.

You seem to think the the rookie pool is some ADDITIONAL money required. Sorry, but that is true only when you don't have 51 players signed. They have at least 50 signed now. No other salaries are counted other then the top 51 until final cut down.
So they are not over the CAP right now, because they Need some mystical rookie $4.3 million. They cannot be over the CAP. They still have an estimated $3.9 million over the cap, as Miguel adjusts it. And probably more room after are the rookies are signed.

Any rookie paid will overwhelmingly likely result in a more expensive vet cut. The savings between the two is MORE Cap room. How much more will Wright, Woods, Jarvis and Gaffney get paid? Notice I did not ask how much they will be paid; as that doesn't matter. What does matter is how much MORE than what they are currently being paid in 2009, does. Green's big bonus has already been accounted for as Miguel said. As for the rest, it won't be much. Miguel estimated $3.9 million CAP room give or take, and that is what they have and will have for EFAs, RFAs and UFAs, plus the difference from every vet cut or retired, and replaced by a cheaper rookie. The rookie pool is a chimera, in this case.

Last edited:
I don't think Crow would taste as good as Turkey in your cooker.

You seem to think the the rookie pool is some ADDITIONAL money required. Sorry, but that is true only when you don't have 51 players signed. They have at least 50 signed now. No other salaries are counted other then the top 51 until final cut down.
So they are not over the CAP right now, because they Need some mystical rookie $4.3 million. They cannot be over the CAP. They still have an estimated $3.9 million over the cap, as Miguel adjusts it. And probably more room after are the rookies are signed.

Any rookie paid will overwhelmingly likely result in a more expensive vet cut. The savings between the two is MORE Cap room. How much more will Wright, Woods, Jarvis and Gaffney get paid? Notice I did not ask how much they will be paid; as that doesn't matter. What does matter is how much MORE than what they are currently being paid in 2009, does. Green's big bonus has already been accounted for as Miguel said. As for the rest, it won't be much. Miguel estimated $3.9 million CAP room give or take, and that is what they have and will have for EFAs, RFAs and UFAs, plus the difference from every vet cut or retired, and replaced by a cheaper rookie. The rookie pool is a chimera, in this case.

Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2009 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page

Look at some of the players on the bottom of that 50, a) their salaries b) the likelihood they make the team.

First, wrong. yes 14.65 for one year is a sick amount of money. But his stock wont be so high next year. So if a team offers him a 4yr/$40M. he takes it because instead of 14m guaranteed, thats 40M guaranteed. Secondly, jets. If they want Cassel....they ARE way over cap. So they need to trade players in the package. And lets face it, we NEED def starters. We have too many voids. We can get some good players for Cassel, not just draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back