PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots vs Jets POST Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
why the hell would we ever sign the dead son of Ozzie Nelson?

david-nelson-sized.jpg

you know what would be wonderful, picking up david nelson now that the jet cut him, and using him vs the jets to rub some salt in the jest's wounds

He's been one of the worst receivers in the league. They would use him more than us, because they could just ignore him.

It's always fun to use the Jets castoffs against them, but I don't think that is going to apply in the case of David Nelson, and that's a good thing.

How soon until the jets jettison harvin? Or do they gave a strong enough locker room to control him.

How soon until the jets jettison harvin? Or do they gave a strong enough locker room to control him.

I think the popular belief in league-wide circles seems to be that Harvin won't be on the roster in 2015 when the team is reset.

As we know, he has both a high double digit cap hit as well as a negative and selfish locker room presence.

Even though we all continue to hear the rumor that Childress stole Harvin from the clutches of Bill Belichick in the draft, I highly doubt that he'd be much of a fit here--unless his salary were cut in half. Even then, I think it's debatable.

I agree with some of your finer points, but I was speaking just about the more general sense. In my opinion, the bottom line was that we just didn't play nearly effectively enough on defense. I don't believe that it had anything to do with offensive gameplanning, which is what I think you are talking about.

Speaking offensively---In the case of the NYJ, I think their obvious weakness in the secondary states to attack through the air. The decision was likely made even easier due to their obvious strength being their front seven and ability to stop the run. In the case of Thursday night's game, the coaching staff very well may have assumed us losing the TOP battle due to some of these factors. Unfortunately, our inability to stop the run AND the combination of allowing too many 3rd down conversions made it much more difficult than it needed to be. Just my opinion of course.
I see no disagreement Sup. The defense--against the run particularly---was spectacularly bad. And attacking the Jets through the air is obviously sensible. Moving beyond these things, I think those who point out that >70% passing is pretty extreme, and that better balance would have improved TOP are making a valid point. Whether a different mix would have been preferable, and whether this was part of the game planning or reaction to specific situations, is certainly open for discussion, but I have seen no intelligent argument to suggest that better balance would not have improved TOP.

The Jets have one of the best run defenses in the NFL and the Pats nearly put up 30 on them almost exlusively through the air. And yet you think they should have run more?

The Pats nearly put up 30 against the Jets at Gillette? Wow! Break out the bubbly.

They also nearly lost.

Run the damn ball.

Brady was 54% throwing against a "bad secondary" which was dropping 8 into coverage.

Good idea to run the ball more then?????

To be fair, he was at 54% because of several bad drops by Edelman and Gronkowski.

To be fair, he was at 54% because of several bad drops by Edelman and Gronkowski.

Look at the tape, though. Those 3 TD catches were each great adjustments by the WRs. None were on the money. It all evened out.

The Jets OL was holding all night long.

Geno is dropping back and taking sacks in lieu of throwing the ball away and risking the INT.

I had high hopes for Cannon. He was supposed to have quick feet. He is no Left Tackle IMO.

Brady had a great game. The throw to Amendola was sweet.

The NE pass defense is ranked 4th in the NFL.

I would have liked to see more of Jonas Gray.

Play calling got squirrely for a while.

The passing game is coming along.

If Rex did not onside kick the Jets win this game. They should have kicked off and played field position.

That was my initial thought while sitting in the stands. But after thinking it through, I think if the Jets had kicked it off, the Pats do not run the ball 3 straight times. They spread them out, get the 1st down inside the 2mw and run the clock out.

Given that you've never "beaten" me, I'd suggest you're pulling a late year Al Davis, and going full on delusional.
Deus - Shmessy is one of MANY who have schooled you..

Watching the safeties get washed out on the perimeter hopelessly trying to set the edge in a 4-2-5 is sheer awesomeness....

I hope to god Belichick learned his lesson from 2002 and buries the Big Nickel, never, ever to bring it back as a base defense ever again!

All the memories from that gawd-aweful base scheme from 2002 resurfaced tonight.

BB didn't use the "Big Nickel" in 2002 as the base. The issue in 2002 was that the team didn't have a true NT and tried to run the 3-4... Clearly you have memories that are just fantasies..

Last edited:
What I saw from Collins is that he's still trying to use his athleticism to overcome his mistakes..

The qualms people have with him on the run game need to be reviewed. I saw Collins getting washed out be GUARDS getting to the second level because the front line didn't tie them up.. Did Collins get wiped out by Sudfeld and Richardson? Yes. On a couple of plays.. that's going to happen. However, the Collins forced many of the plays away from him..

The thing I worry about is Pats Run defense. Ivory ran thru the DL.

Side question: Is Chung really better than Harmon? really? In the game, Chung always seem to be catching up to the person he is covering. Also, a mismatch since Chung is short. Opinions?

Patrick Chung is 5'11 2/8.
Duron Harmon is 6'0 2/8

Do you really think that the 1" makes ALL that much difference????

BB didn't use the "Big Nickel" in 2002. The issue in 2002 was that the team didn't have a true NT and tried to run the 3-4... Clearly you have memories that are just fantasies..

I'm not sure whether it was called the "Big Nickel", but I certainly remember Tebucky Jones, Lawyer Milloy and Victor Green all out there at the same time on many plays that year.

Sticky Caulk - so you disagree that Brady's 54% passing completion wouldn't have been helped by Edelman and Gronkowski making those catches.. So you disagree that 24/37 (64.86%) wouldn't be better than the 54% he had?

Look at the tape, though. Those 3 TD catches were each great adjustments by the WRs. None were on the money. It all evened out.

Shmessy - those 3 TD catches have nothing to do with the 4 drops by Edelman and Gronkowski.. To say "it all evened out" makes no sense at all.

I'm not sure whether it was called the "Big Nickel", but I certainly remember Tebucky Jones, Lawyer Milloy and Victor Green all out there at the same time on many plays that year.

Then you aren't remembering correctly because the "Big Nickel" was never the base defense that year. It was the 3-4 and it was lamented because the Pats didn't have a NT after Steve Martin was a complete failure and talked himself right off the team by November.

I'm not saying it wasn't used. I'm just saying it wasn't the base.

Then you aren't remembering correctly because the "Big Nickel" was never the base defense that year. It was the 3-4 and it was lamented because the Pats didn't have a NT after Steve Martin was a complete failure and talked himself right off the team by November.

I'm not saying it wasn't used. I'm just saying it wasn't the base.

"I'm not saying it wasn't used. I'm just saying it wasn't the base."

Actually, you did:

Dabruinz Post #331.

"BB didn't use the "Big Nickel" in 2002. The issue in 2002 was that the team didn't have a true NT and tried to run the 3-4... Clearly you have memories that are just fantasies.."

I was simply replying to that post.

****Post Edit: And now you have edited your post #331 after seeing this. You just took out the words "in 2002" and added the words "as the base" in the first sentence. C'mon.

Last edited:
Here's the stats I wanted refuted...Pats 27 Jets 25...Pats 5-2...Jets 1-6...refute THAT
Irrefuteable.!

The Jets played a near perfect game,commited no INTs nor fumbles, nor damaging penalties. And still lost.

The Pats broke all the sacred rules on defending the run, played 5 DBs almost exclusively. They had only 19 minutes TOP, and still held them to 25 points, while scoring 27 points in 19 minutes, and purely on Offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down