PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots hope to avoid playing the Jaguars in Postseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the Jags are a very tough matchup, probably the toughest we might face in our first playoff game.

They have a dual-back running game the Pats would have to focus on. But if they do so, David Garrard has the ability to pick us apart.

In certain ways Garrard has had a better year than Brady. Only 16 TDs, but only TWO interceptions. As amazing as it is that Brady has only thrown 6 INTs with 45 TDs, Garrard's ratio is BETTER. You can't count on Garrad making mistakes.

If the weather is bad then the advantage would swing to Jacksonville. I still believe we would win but might be a very tough game.

You're comparing the ratio's of a qb that doesn't throw to one that throws 40 times/game. In case you didn't know, 16 TD's sucks for any qb although his # of int's is outstanding. He plays for a running team that no one expects to pass. He is not a qb with the skills to pick a team apart...not even close.

David Garrard....c'mon man:rolleyes:

Tom Brady - 8.9 TD %, 1.2 INT %

David Garrad - 5.2 TD %, 0.7 INT %

Clearly Brady has the better numbers.

Brady has thrown the ball deep (21+ yards) 23 times. Garrard has only thrown it deep 8 times. Brady has the better yds/att. Garrard doesn't make many mistakes, but he also doesn't make many big plays.

Last edited:
If we play the Jags we will either be coming off a bye week or they will be playing their 3rd road game in a row having previously played Pitt and Indy.

They are a slightly better version of the Steelers.

Jeremy Green is usually pretty rational. Hope this doesn't mean he has succumbed to the ESPN NFL culture.

RATIONAL: he says in this article he says that the week before he had said the VIKES could go to the SB.

Excuse me but that is not a rational statement, not if you really are a student of the game.

As far as the Jags are concerned 4 points to remember.

1. They played the Steelers the week AFTER the Steelers played the Pats....few teams have had a good week the week after playing the Pats this yr.
2. BIG BEN was hurt, throwing shoulder, yet came back to tie game before losing in the final seconds.

3. The Jags beat the Steelers by passing the ball not by running the ball and the Steelers pass defense sucks.

4. Indy has beaten the Jags twice this year, because the Jags secondary sucks just like the Steelers.

Belichick has coached against this team the last 2 seasons. Our 10-6 squad squashed their 12-4 squad in Foxboro and last year we would have won easily if not for a couple of fluke plays.

They pulled out a 7-point win in Pittsburgh, let's not crown their asses yet.

Belichick has coached against this team the last 2 seasons. Our 10-6 squad squashed their 12-4 squad in Foxboro and last year we would have won easily if not for a couple of fluke plays.

They pulled out a 7-point win in Pittsburgh, let's not crown their asses yet.

The win against Pitt was a statistical blowout.
A couple quick, opportune Steeler scores in the 4th made it closer. But the Jags responded with a dominating drive to win.

A couple quick, opportune Steeler scores in the 4th made it closer. But the Jags responded with a dominating drive to win.

Statistical Blowouts that are won by only 7 pts means they are very vulnerable to the big play just like the Steelers and if you saw their games against Indy that is what you saw as well.

Last edited:
RATIONAL: he says in this article he says that the week before he had said the VIKES could go to the SB.

Excuse me but that is not a rational statement, not if you really are a student of the game.

1. They played the Steelers the week AFTER the Steelers played the Pats....few teams have had a good week the week after playing the Pats this yr.
2. BIG BEN was hurt, throwing shoulder, yet came back to tie game before losing in the final seconds.

3. The Jags beat the Steelers by passing the ball not by running the ball and the Steelers pass defense sucks.

4. Indy has beaten the Jags twice this year, because the Jags secondary sucks just like the Steelers.

5. They played the Steelers their first game w/o Aaron Smith, the key to their run defense.

6. This Jags team is EXACTLY THE SAME as the team the pats beat in Jax last year with playoffs on the line for the Jags. Actually, it's not even as good, b/c this version is w/o Marcus Stroud. And we know this patriots team is FAR superior to last year's version. AND this year, it's at home.

I agree that the Jags are a very tough matchup, probably the toughest we might face in our first playoff game.

They have a dual-back running game the Pats would have to focus on. But if they do so, David Garrard has the ability to pick us apart.

In certain ways Garrard has had a better year than Brady. Only 16 TDs, but only TWO interceptions. As amazing as it is that Brady has only thrown 6 INTs with 45 TDs, Garrard's ratio is BETTER. You can't count on Garrad making mistakes.

If the weather is bad then the advantage would swing to Jacksonville. I still believe we would win but might be a very tough game.
His ration is better because he has thrown less has less than15 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. he is agame manager not a Qb. Don't buy the hype they are good but the also got beat by Indy twice and they just got by a Patriot hangover victim Steelers. Trust me the Pats are the team to beat Its the media's job to pump up these other time.

I love how all these pundits are picking the Jaguars to be the "next elite team." Until the Jags can actually beat Indy (have they ever? certainly not this year) they will never be able to compete with the Pats. Theoretically it's a tough matchup, but I'd like to see them beat up on a true elite team before putting them in the same league.

Really? Somehow the thought of Garrard at Foxboro in Jan doesn't make me think 'he'll pick us apart'.

No fear of the Jags at all. The inevitable Colts matchup...now that'll be a game.

To be fair, Fred Taylor kills the Steelers every time he plays them.

Jaguars best win was that Pittsburgh game and it took them a game-ending drive to do it, despite statistical domination. Analysts always say that Indy will have a tough time with the Jags, but the Colts always seem to get the best of them... in fact, they usually have a harder time with the Texans and Titans than the Jags, who supposedly match up so well against them.

To be fair, Fred Taylor kills the Steelers every time he plays them.

Jaguars best win was that Pittsburgh game and it took them a game-ending drive to do it, despite statistical domination. Analysts always say that Indy will have a tough time with the Jags, but the Colts always seem to get the best of them... in fact, they usually have a harder time with the Texans and Titans than the Jags, who supposedly match up so well against them.

This is true. I am suprised at the love the Jaguars are getting as a Colts fan. I know they are a good team, but they can't get by the Colts or Patriots. The media is looking for new blood to hype up.

The Jaguars can do one thing well that the media loves; run the ball. They have two physical backs. The one thing they can do on the Colts is run the ball well too but they have a weak secondary that can be picked apart and for lots of quick scores. Wayne owned them twice this season and so would Moss.

The only thing the media is crazy over is that they think if the Jaguars play the Pats in bad weather that the Pats will have trouble with the running game and they won't be able to run the ball on them. But, there is no need to run the ball on the Jags and the Pats can run it. The Jags cannot stop the pass!!!!!!

Gerrard is good but they do not have any big play receivers or tight ends.

And Del Rio just always seems to blow up when we play them.

I will be curious to see if the Jags win a playoff game finally this season. I think the second time around the Steelers with more veterans and experience on the team might get the better of them. It was a close game with the Steelers and Ben was hurt but he still had 3 TDs and no picks I think.

No matter how bad the Titans are Jeff Fisher and company are a bigger challenge. Can't deny he is a good coach, his QB is just a moron though. And the Texans despite their record have some pretty good talent. They can pressure the QB very well are are balanced on offense.

I really dont care if its the jags the browns steelers or chargers in the 2nd round, just hope the pats win

Adam Schein on Sirius NFL Radio constantly calls the Jags 'America's Team'

I think he says that because they are the smallest marketed team in the NFL and have little media coverage compared to the big boys in Boston,NY,Texas and Cali

If there was ever a Jax/Carolina Super Bowl, only about 100 people would be watching it :)

Last edited:

Are you kidding me? Jacksonville ran the ball when and where they wanted to on the steelers. How many times have you seen a draw play work on third and long? They did it twice, and they did it when it counted.

The Jags won that game on the ground, unless you were watching a different game than the one they played in here in OK.

It's a good thing the pats players don't overlook teams the way their fans do.

Defensive gameplan- put 8 in the box and make Garrard beat our secondary.

"Staples. That was easy."

I highly doubt the Patriots fear any team in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back