PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"The Patriots first pick of the 2011 draft will be running back..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would the Pats want a guy with a bad attitude?
I'd like the Pats to draft a backup to develop behind BJGE and maybe give them something a little bit different. Morris and Taylor are too injury prone to count on.

I think he means that Bradford runs with intensity. As in, he runs angry. Etc. Good player.

I do believe that if Ingram is available he will be the pick. He fits the character profile and the playing profile that BB loves, he's Saban's kid, he's multidimensional.

The idea of drafting Ingram is not with the intention to take carries away from BJGE, it's to replace Fred Taylor's roster spot. At worst, Ingram beefs up the STs. At best, he adds more depth and competition, in the same way that drafting two TEs in 2010 and signing Alge made us rock solid and deep. If he could, BB would do that with every position on the roster.

RB is no where close to our biggest need, but it can be improved. And BB will spend the pick on players that he wants to coach, not players who fill slots on the depth chart.

My guess, though, is that Ingram doesn't last until 17, and I dont believe BB will move up for him. More likely he'll find a defensive lineman that he likes from what is a really deep class. I think he'll find value at DE or OLB.

The idea of drafting Ingram is not with the intention to take carries away from BJGE, it's to replace Fred Taylor's roster spot.

Nothing personal, but I could replace Fred Taylor's roster spot this year, and I wouldn't cost the #17 pick in the draft. That is a throw the remote across the room pick for me.

SSDD

I do believe that if Ingram is available he will be the pick.
The idea of drafting Ingram is not with the intention to take carries away from BJGE, it's to replace Fred Taylor's roster spot.

RB Fred Taylor -- 68 of 1,012 (6.7 percent)

att yds ave long td - rec yds
Fred Taylor 43 155 3.6 24 0 2 6

You want to spend a mid 1st round draft pick to fill Fred Taylor's roster spot, but not take carries away from BJGE!

Thomas Clayton will get a shot at the roster, then they'll draft a kid in the 4th or 5th.

The DL is a mess right now, I'll take a DE that has a chance to start from day one.

Last edited:
I do believe that if Ingram is available he will be the pick.

RB Fred Taylor -- 68 of 1,012 (6.7 percent)

att yds ave long td - rec yds
Fred Taylor 43 155 3.6 24 0 2 6

You want to spend a mid 1st round draft pick to fill Fred Taylor's roster spot, but not take carries away from BJGE!

Thomas Clayton will get a shot at the roster, then they'll draft a kid in the 4th or 5th.

The DL is a mess right now, I'll take a DE that has a chance to start from day one.

I completely agree. There is just no need to spend a high pick on a player that won't see a whole lot of playing time. We all know BB loves players that are consistently on the field, thats why he drafts players that also offer special teams value. A backup running back just doesnt offer that value. And I absolutely love Ingram, but he just doesnt make a whole lot of sense for the Pats in the 1st. If he were to fall to the early 2nd that would be a completely different story.

Seems to me that it may be a bit of a waste to spend a 1st round pick on an RB unless you really need a guy who can consistently put up VG yardage even without much run-blocking support from the O-line and TEs. I think that's really the potential that you're paying the premium for. And, even then, it's 50/50 (or less).

Steady, N-S, between-the-tackles, one-cut guys are really mostly what you need if you've already got good, consistent run-blocking, but they inevitably get beat up so it's always good to have spares. I'll be looking at these types who have proven very durable during their college careers but who may not have put up dramatic stats. Might be found 4th round or later.

BTW - Clayton seems more like a "dancer"/change-of-pace guy to me. He may stick if he can show greater actual effectiveness at some point, but I think we still need a BGE clone.

now, now!

2 RBs on the roster (and 3 if you include 35 year old Faulk) is not enough.

I could see a couple picks for RBs.

BJGE is also a UFA at the end of next year.

I doubt ingram though, especially at #17.

Leshoure and Havili are guys who could be picked by the pats.

Very true. It makes me wonder if BB shouldn't try to extend G Warren, who has had a solid year for us.

I still like the RB from K State, Thomas. He is large and decent at catching the ball.

I think RB is actually a need. As good as the combo of BJGE and Woodhead have been if either of them were to get injured (pretty likely for an NFL RB) we would be up the proverbial creek without a paddle. If the right RB is there in the first I say we take him. OT, DE, and OLB all are deeper (believe it or not) than RB.

Is the question if we would draft Ingram if he were there at 17? If so, I think that the answer is "yes". We might even move up a spot or two to get him for 6 years; however, I don't expect him to be there. I also don't think any other running back is close to being of the value that patriots would choose at 17.

Seems to me that it may be a bit of a waste to spend a 1st round pick on an RB unless you really need a guy who can consistently put up VG yardage even without much run-blocking support from the O-line and TEs. I think that's really the potential that you're paying the premium for. And, even then, it's 50/50 (or less).

Steady, N-S, between-the-tackles, one-cut guys are really mostly what you need if you've already got good, consistent run-blocking, but they inevitably get beat up so it's always good to have spares. I'll be looking at these types who have proven very durable during their college careers but who may not have put up dramatic stats. Might be found 4th round or later.

BTW - Clayton seems more like a "dancer"/change-of-pace guy to me. He may stick if he can show greater actual effectiveness at some point, but I think we still need a BGE clone.

Allen Bradford:rocker:

Extending Warren is fine idea (along with Moore and Page).

Very true. It makes me wonder if BB shouldn't try to extend G Warren, who has had a solid year for us.

I still like the RB from K State, Thomas. He is large and decent at catching the ball.

I think RB is actually a need. As good as the combo of BJGE and Woodhead have been if either of them were to get injured (pretty likely for an NFL RB) we would be up the proverbial creek without a paddle. If the right RB is there in the first I say we take him. OT, DE, and OLB all are deeper (believe it or not) than RB.

I think RB is also a need, just not that high. I wouldn't be surprised if they took two.

But completely disagree DE is deeper.

There is not a single prototype 3-4 DE playing right now.
Maybe G. Warren, but he is on a 1 year contract.
Wright has a serious concussion and probably will not be back this year.
Pryor is 6'1 310, a DT.
Love is 6'1 310, a DT.
Ellison is 6'1 310, a DT.
Wilfork and Brace are NTs.

Warren will be back next year, that's one DE. They need two to start.
I wouldn't count on Deaderick next year.
They need to acquire one if not two quality DEs for next year. One of them will have to start.

Yes, DE is our #2 need (after OG). However, signing G Warren would put us in reasonable shape. BTW, no matter how many times we wish it, Brace is not a NT. Love is a backup NT as is G. Warren.

I think RB is also a need, just not that high. I wouldn't be surprised if they took two.

But completely disagree DE is deeper.

There is not a single prototype 3-4 DE playing right now.
Maybe G. Warren, but he is on a 1 year contract.
Wright has a serious concussion and probably will not be back this year.
Pryor is 6'1 310, a DT.
Love is 6'1 310, a DT.
Ellison is 6'1 310, a DT.
Wilfork and Brace are NTs.

Warren will be back next year, that's one DE. They need two to start.
I wouldn't count on Deaderick next year.
They need to acquire one if not two quality DEs for next year. One of them will have to start.

Last edited:
Yes, DE is our #2 need (after OG). However, signing G Warren would put us in reasonable shape. BTW, no matter how many times we wish it, Brace is not a NT. Love is a backup NT as is G. Warren.

Well, I could see OL. It will be highly dependant on many variables. Does Light come back, does Mankins come back, can Kaczur play OG...etc. I also doubt there will be an OG worth taking with the first two picks.

Well, I could see OL. It will be highly dependant on many variables. Does Light come back, does Mankins come back, can Kaczur play OG...etc. I also doubt there will be an OG worth taking with the first two picks.

yes but we don't always draft OG's to play OG... i think we'll look at some of the bigger tackles e.g mankins and see if we can convert them to OG

yes but we don't always draft OG's to play OG... i think we'll look at some of the bigger tackles e.g mankins and see if we can convert them to OG

Ben Ijalana from Villanova has played both, and apparently we're interested in him.

Given the lack of OT talent in this draft there may not be many OTs worthy of the pats first 2 or 3 picks. Not to mention an OT that can move to OG.

Maybe D. Love? He might look good in that LG spot. Other than that, you may have to wait for C. Boling in the Late 2nd.

Given the lack of OT talent in this draft there may not be many OTs worthy of the pats first 2 or 3 picks. Not to mention an OT that can move to OG.

Maybe D. Love? He might look good in that LG spot. Other than that, you may have to wait for C. Boling in the Late 2nd.
Love looks heavier than he did earlier in the season and he moved like he was heavier compared to other games I've watched this season. Pass.

"Bigger tackles?" Mankins is 5 lbs heavier than Light and the same height. He's 5 lbs smaller than Kaczur & Vollmer, the same height as Kaczur.

Scar looks for experienced LTs with good technique, nasty on-field attitudes, smart, disciplined, capable of pulling or getting out to the second level and getting in front of a defender. His five OL drafted in Rds 1-3 were all 6-3/6-8, 305-319 using Combine/Pro-Day numbers. If NE needs a prospect who might need to start right away at OG then throw out Vollmer's 6-8 as an outlier and you've got 6-3/6-4, 300-320. Don't look for the highest rated tackles from draft sites, look for their mid-round kids:

Danny Watkins, Baylor, 6-4/310 -- 12 starts in Big-12 before 2010 season, played in all 22 games at the juco level, but no start data (though he got recruited by Baylor so you can guess).
Jason Pinkston, Pittsburgh, 6-4/308 -- 28 starts before 2010 season (converted DT).
James Carpenter, Alabama, 6-5/300 -- 14 starts in SEC before 2010 season, juco transfer so you know he was starting at the lower level to get SEC attention.
Benjamin Ijalana, Villanova, 6-4/320 -- 39 starts before the 2010 season
Clint Boling, Georgia, 6-5/304 -- 36 starts before the 2010 season

All of the above are college LTs (or, like Boling, was moved all over the line, including LT) and currently projected to rounds 2-4 by NFL Draft Scout. Villanova is in the FCS (1-AA) sub-division which doesn't improve his odds, but the other four play in BCS conferences. Watkins and Carpenter may start at a disadvantage due to their juco background limiting their experience at the higher level, but Vollmer only played OT two seasons so I don't think it's insurmountable. All were All-Conference First Team, save Watkins who was Second Team.

It's a small draft pool, but in 2005 there were exactly two kids who met the general requirements and were projected to the same rounds by NFLDS - NE drafted both of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back