PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots Defense ~ A Return to Dominance ~ The Quickening!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmmmm...sweeet CROW Pie!!
jester.gif

We'll get'm NEXT time, Brothers. :cool:

Back To School.

An Humiliation like this might just prove to be JUST what we needed.

Going zone heavy in the first half combined with absolutely back breaking turnovers by the offense lost us this one. Eliminate one of those factors, and this is a Patriots win.

Mmmmmm...sweeet CROW Pie!!
jester.gif

We'll get'm NEXT time, Brothers. :cool:

Back To School.

An Humiliation like this might just prove to be JUST what we needed.

Agreed. Better now than in the playoffs. They became overconfident after last week. The coaching staff will have to get the players settled down. We shot ourselves in the foot way too much. I hope we draft some stud offensive lineman and a fast tall receiver next year.

Wow.

I'm seriously impressed by our FanBase.

I am fully prepared to have my face rubbed in it.

After all: I've got it comin'. :eek:

But the fact that the first two Cats who responded ~ you two ~ are clearly "Let's Get Back To Work" guys...says a LOT about our FanBase.
beer.gif

Now...who wants to rub my FACE in it??? :D

Better now than in the playoffs.

Exactly. These games happen. And as much as I'd love for the Pats to get the bye (possible still, but VERY unlikely), that's OK. To lay an egg (an understandable egg, in a way--wet footballs are slippery. But both teams played in the same conditions) is just one of those things. If this were the playoffs? No more games? Ugh.

As it is, they get back to it next week. Hope Dennard & Spikes are OK. On we go.

Exactly. These games happen. And as much as I'd love for the Pats to get the bye (possible still, but VERY unlikely), that's OK. To lay an egg (an understandable egg, in a way--wet footballs are slippery. But both teams played in the same conditions) is just one of those things. If this were the playoffs? No more games? Ugh.

As it is, they get back to it next week. Hope Dennard & Spikes are OK. On we go.

Well said, Sir. :cool:

Seriously, though: If anyone wants to rub my face in it, I'm ready to take one for the team...so to speak!! :D

I'm so very proud to root for this Team. :cool:

#$%&.

It happens.

And the way they never gave up...and came raging back...makes me intensely proud. :cool:

I'll stand by them any Day...or Night.

...and consider it a Privilege.

Basically... we came out and made to many mistakes to win the game. the only reason we came even close was the greatness of a QB that basically let us put up 31 points in a quarter against the best d in the NFL.

Brady got little to no help tonight from our D but in all honesty i don't mind this loss too much. It was against a good team and we played shockingly in the 1st half... came out... and played a shocking start of the 3rd.

The basically we rallied which is what i wanted to see and almost pulled off one of the most remarkable comebacks in nfl history.

The only thing that thwarted us in the end is ST and Defense letting us down in two consecutive plays letting the 49rs go the full length of the field. After the D had done brilliantly to get the ball back for Brady those 2 playes were back breakers.

If I remember correctly, even the big pass play the D gave up right after our ST's brain fart in second half was simply due to them beating the blitz. That was the only real back breaker the D gave up all day.

What did we have as a team, 4 turn overs? 2 in our own territory no less. Yet the 9ers only beat us by 7? Take away 2 of those and this game is probably different. :mad:

A few predictions of my own:

1. By the end of season the Pats' defense will be averaging under 20 PPG. They have given up 274 points for the season, which means they will have to average around 15 PPG over the next 3 games to achieve that. I believe that is eminently manageable against San Francisco, Jacksonville and Miami. I think we will end up around 6th or 7th in scoring defense.

Well, that one's pretty much up in smoke. I never would have imagined in my wildest dreams giving up 41 to the 49ers, or the kind of game we had last night. That's why they play the games.

I actually thought the defense didn't play too badly for a while, but they were out there too long, and had their backs against the wall too many times. I didn't see the 2nd half, so I can't comment on that part - it sounds a bit ugly.

SF's a darn good team, but I still like Seattle better. And it will be tough for SF to maintain the same energy level 2 weeks in a row on the road.

Last edited:
Basically... we came out and made to many mistakes to win the game. the only reason we came even close was the greatness of a QB that basically let us put up 31 points in a quarter against the best d in the NFL.

Brady got little to no help tonight from our D but in all honesty i don't mind this loss too much. It was against a good team and we played shockingly in the 1st half... came out... and played a shocking start of

let's not go overboard here. The D played bad but the offense and special teams put the defense at a disadvantage most of the game. Team loss for the most part. Offense couldn't figure things out until the game was out of hand. The greatness of Brady was awesome. Ridleys performance was the death bed.

2 plays/what if's were what if Talib doesnt get snagged up while returning the fumble and what if Dennard didn't get injured?

I'm shocked we lost and truly believe they will beat them handily if they play again. Team hasn't played this team in 4 years and now BB has all the film he needs to make a devastating game plan next time. Not to mention a healthy Gronkowski in the next meeting. I'm stoked for New Orleans.

If I remember correctly, even the big pass play the D gave up right after our ST's brain fart in second half was simply due to them beating the blitz. That was the only real back breaker the D gave up all day.

What did we have as a team, 4 turn overs? 2 in our own territory no less. Yet the 9ers only beat us by 7? Take away 2 of those and this game is probably different. :mad:

Going with a true cover 0 on that end of the field wasn't needed and was a bad call. But, bad call and all, that play goes nowhere if Arrington doesn't whiff on the tackle.

The Ridley fumble is where the game was lost. The offense went roaring down the field after the McCourty pick only to have the ball pop out in stride to a San Fran defender who was quick to oblige. From the start, you could tell. We see these games from the other side of the fence so often, it was a reality check to see the bounces from the side of the lessers.

This defense needs another edge athlete, bottom line. We have a front seven full of big uglies, and we have a somewhat competent secondary with Talib going toe to toe with some impressive wideouts. Our edge guys, be it Jones, Ninko, or whoever, are good for one or two plays a game where they beat their man. We need to go all out to get that guy in the offseason, because we're that guy away from being a defense that can win games for itself. It frees up Vince inside, and it makes everyone else's job easier.

Hightower is quietly a beast. His instincts are second to none. Sure, he struggles in coverage, but every LB in a defense with little pass rush does.

The Ridley fumble is where the game was lost. The offense went roaring down the field after the McCourty pick only to have the ball pop out in stride to a San Fran defender who was quick to oblige. From the start, you could tell. We see these games from the other side of the fence so often, it was a reality check to see the bounces from the side of the lessers.

This defense needs another edge athlete, bottom line. We have a front seven full of big uglies, and we have a somewhat competent secondary with Talib going toe to toe with some impressive wideouts. Our edge guys, be it Jones, Ninko, or whoever, are good for one or two plays a game where they beat their man. We need to go all out to get that guy in the offseason, because we're that guy away from being a defense that can win games for itself. It frees up Vince inside, and it makes everyone else's job easier.

Hightower is quietly a beast. His instincts are second to none. Sure, he struggles in coverage, but every LB in a defense with little pass rush does.

I agree, I love what Ninkovich does. He has great value to this team and I hope he is extended. Would love to see someone brought in for sub packages who excels at getting to the QB to share time. Having two fresh capable bodies at the end position would be nice. Then again we do have Cunningham coming back which will be huge down the stretch.

For my money, though I don't have much of it particularly during the Christmas season, Cunningham is of the same feather as Ninkovich. They are high motor guys with big hearts, but not game changers. Naturally, one more body to rotate in and out is helpful, particularly when said player has such a knack for skinning interior linemen alive.

I don't know what happened to Chandler Jones. Even before his injury he had fallen off from his first couple of games. I was on the Patriots website ordering my Chandler Jones jersey after he dominated a series against the Cards with a pressure, a drawn hold, and a false start. Even when he wasn't beating his man, he was commanding his edge. Now he's just another one of those guys who will give and take sporadically.

Well, that one's pretty much up in smoke. I never would have imagined in my wildest dreams giving up 41 to the 49ers, or the kind of game we had last night. That's why they play the games.

I actually thought the defense didn't play too badly for a while, but they were out there too long, and had their backs against the wall too many times. I didn't see the 2nd half, so I can't comment on that part - it sounds a bit ugly.

SF's a darn good team, but I still like Seattle better. And it will be tough for SF to maintain the same energy level 2 weeks in a row on the road.

The 49ers scored 24 points off of ~70yds of offense... The D was pretty solid all game, but was continuously left out to dry. Really the only difference between the first and 2nd half is the D came up short bailing out the O and STs were as in the 1st half they'd bail them out and then give up long drives on their own. If the rest of the Pats were playing up to par it's fair to say the 49ers would've struggled to even get 17pts.

One bit of worry is the 49ers seemed to have a game plan to go for the end zone once they got inside of the Pats' 40. They seemed to be pretty effective at this and it allowed them to bypass the Pats stingy goal line D. I think the Pats are going to have to be careful moving forward in that area of the field.

Seriously, though: If anyone wants to rub my face in it, I'm ready to take one for the team...so to speak!! :D

[/I]

I feel bad nobody's taking you up on this, so....

HA HA YOU IDIOTIC HOMER!! WHERE'S YOUR MESSIAH NOW?? PATS ARE TEH SUCK!!!

There you go. ;)

100% agree. I don't get what the obsession is with Ninkovich. The defense will never be great with him starting.

100% agree. I don't get what the obsession is with Ninkovich. The defense will never be great with him starting.

I love Nink, but I've been saying a stud LDE is our top defensive priority for 2013 for a while.

I love Nink, but I've been saying a stud LDE is our top defensive priority for 2013 for a while.
He's a good football player but he's an Arrington level player. Would be excellent in a back up/rotational role but does more harm than good as a full-time starter.

1) Sure, I'd like a premier pass-rushing LDE. Stud LDE's are hard to get given where we pick. Every team would like a stud, pass-rushing DE. I'm fine with Ninkovich, Jones, Wilfork, Deaderick, Francis, Love, and Cunningham. I would note that we have 2-3 youngsters in that group who should develop.

2) You must be assuming that we are re-signing Talib, Vollmer and Welker. I'm fine with our safety situation for 2013. Are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down