PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots agree to a one-year deal with free-agent wide receiver Donte Stallworth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Patriots agree to a one-year deal with free-agent wide receiver Donte Stallwo

As long as we don't bring back Maroney, I'm cool with whoever from 2007 comes back.

Hoyer for Moss?

I'm going to put some derivation of this in every thread now methinks.

I am joking though just in case it's not obvious.

Re: The Patriots agree to a one-year deal with free-agent wide receiver Donte Stallwo

Good point.

I do not like Josh McDouchey one bit, by the way. I hope he's grown up since he left the Pats.

Maverick, is that you?

If there's one thing Stallworth hasn't lost it's his deep speed.

His 51 yard catch against us was pure speed, on the release and then in his glide.

It's a good familiar addition that adds some flexibility on the cheap.

BB will still walk away with two wide receivers in the draft.

Camp fodder with little to no hope to make the team?

I'm not so sure. He still has the speed and has familiarity with Brady and the offense. That's pretty big. Brady has also openly said that he'd like to play with Stallworth again.

If there's one thing Stallworth hasn't lost it's his deep speed.

His 51 yard catch against us was pure speed, on the release and then in his glide.

It's a good familiar addition that adds some flexibility on the cheap.

BB will still walk away with two wide receivers in the draft.

In 2007, Stallworth was signed to be the speed, deep threat. Moss came several months later, draft time. Tough to judge his fit in 2007 with Moss.

If the speed is there, it's there. That should satisfy the "stretch the field" concept. Besides, Brady said, Stallworth was our best YAC receiver in 2007.

BB has always said, drafting a WR is dicey. Best to take his word.

Wouldn't be shocked to see 3 RB's on the roster in 2012.

Last edited:

Try WR1. I see 90/1500/12 for Senor Stallworth this season.
Are you related to the poster Nordberg? :rolleyes:

I do not like Josh McDouchey one bit, by the way. I hope he's grown up since he left the Pats.

I do find it a bit ironic that you're complaining about McDaniels not being a grown up.

Camp fodder with little to no hope to make the team?

This team had one viable wide receiver as it went into the Super Bowl against the Giants last year.

Any wideout under contract with the team now has a shot to make the team.

Branch is a solid depth guy, I expect him back. But his spot is not secure. Neither is Edelman's. And I am not counting Slater as a WR.

The Patriots normally count 5-6 WRs. Some may call Hernandez a WR, but he's not really, and we carry 3TEs normally anyway.

That means we have 4-5 open spots at the WR position going into the offseason. Lloyd takes away one. But other than that, its still 3 or 4. Which sounds ridiculous, but is true. We are beginning to fill those spots.

I can see Stallworth making it as a deep threat, and as a guy who is deadly on screen passes. He offers real value there.

Last edited:

I'm not so sure. He still has the speed and has familiarity with Brady and the offense. That's pretty big. Brady has also openly said that he'd like to play with Stallworth again.

I hear you, but he's only got 41 receptions in 3 years since his return. That would seem to be an indicator that his time is coming to an end. Maybe he'll reverse course, though.

So, we signed Stallworth instead of Branch.

Crazy! I swear Stallworth got bumped down the depth chart by the end of 2007, but who knows what the reason for that was. There was a lot of talent on that roster and I'm not sure what to make of it. Regardless, this isn't a bad signing. If he still has the speed and familiarity what's not to like? I think Gaffney was the guy we made the mistake in letting go, and like a lot of you guys, I'm wondering if we'll make a move for him as well.

First thought is that Ocho is definitely gone, I'm not sure about Branch though. Brady loves the guy and that might be the thing that saves him.

In 2007, Stallworth was signed to be the speed, deep threat. Moss came several months later, draft time. Tough to judge his fit in 2007 with Moss.

If the speed is there, it's there. That should satisfy the "stretch the field" concept. Besides, Brady said, Stallworth was our best YAC receiver in 2007.

BB has always said, drafting a WR is dicey. Best to take his word.

Wouldn't be shocked to see 3 RB's on the roster in 2012.

Yeah. I think it's a more 'relevant' move than some posters think (training camp casualty). Stallworth can obviously still get downfield and if he can give us 20-35 catches at 15 YPC on the 4-wide package that McDaniels will use more than BOB, he's served his purpose as a coverage carrier.

The draft is deep at wideout with the best value from rounds 2-5. BB knows we need young players to develop without the need to see results immediately. I see us grabbing one in the late 2nd or 3rd and then a UDFA.

So, we signed Stallworth instead of Branch.
Patience grasshopper!

I hear you, but he's only got 41 receptions in 3 years since his return. That would seem to be an indicator that his time is coming to an end. Maybe he'll reverse course, though.

He played with who? Flacco, Beck, and Grossman? I would dismiss his stats, check out Branch in Seattle who looked to be done and brought two seasons of alright play here.

Can't count on the Pats to keep anyone outside Welker, but I see DS as a solid deep guy who should be 3rd WR. Then you got Ocho and Gonzalez fighting to stay here.

He played with who? Flacco, Beck, and Grossman? I would dismiss his stats, check out Branch in Seattle who looked to be done and brought two seasons of alright play here.

Can't count on the Pats to keep anyone outside Welker, but I see DS as a solid deep guy who should be 3rd WR. Then you got Ocho and Gonzalez fighting to stay here.

Why on Earth would anyone dismiss his stats when he's got two long ball throwers (Flacco and Grossman) passing the ball?

Last edited:

No one here thought we were going to go a whole offseason without signing an aged Veteran Receiver now did you?

I think its been about 5 years in a row.

Perhaps Welker is going to get traded. I honestly feel that way.

They're putting themselves in position to trade hi, or so it seems. I'd have to see the trade before I had an opinion on it ........... but we seem to be preparing. We still have Ocho on this team ..... it's strange, all things considered.

Last edited:

They're putting themselves in position to trade hi, or so it seems. I'd have to see the trade before I had an opinion on it ........... but we seem to be preparing.

That could happen...or they're just protecting themselves against a possible holdout.

Come on.

That's like saying since we signed Gallery, we're getting ready to trade Mankins.

They're putting themselves in position to trade hi, or so it seems. I'd have to see the trade before I had an opinion on it ........... but we seem to be preparing. We still have Ocho on this team ..... it's strange, all things considered.

Nobody values Wes Welker more than the Patriots do. I don't think any team out there would be willing to offer what it would take for us to trade him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back