Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Patriot Guard Riders

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Leave No Doubt, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You remember the Westboro Baptist group, those twisted people who protest military funerals? I don't even want to discuss them because they're just too despicable for words plus how can anyone defend them, but I have to mention them for context. Anyway-

One of the things the Patriot Guard Riders do is attend military funerals (at the request of the families only, they don't just show up unless invited) and physically get between any protest and the funeral itself. They line up, turn their backs to the protesters, raise very large flags so the families can't see the protesters and visa versa, and if necessary start up their bikes to drown out any chanting.

Maybe we wouldn't need hate-speech laws if more people just took action the way these guys (maybe girls too, I'm not sure) do.:cool:

I saw it on the news this morning, great organization and worthy of a mention imho :) The Riders are actually part of a larger group who helps military families and veterans during transition. Sites:

Welcome to Patriots Group

Home
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

Can never forget Westboro Baptist Church, and its God Hates Fags Website...

They personify the danger of extremist religions..

Currently there is a case that will be argued in the Supreme Court concerning their right to free speech, the decision will be a slippery slope no matter how they rule.. personally think Westboro will prevail..

It is very interesting..

Westboro Church Protests Head To Supreme Court

If they loose in the SCOTUS.. then they will probably picket them.
  3. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The Rider I saw on the news said there was about 70 of them (WB) and that they were all family, related I guess. WHO does this.

Anyway I liked the Riders' cause and the organization itself seems very worthy of mention. If we had more people who'd just Do The Right Thing like this group seems to be doing we'd all be a lot better off.
  4. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 2 / -1

The Patriot Guard Riders are a group I admire far more than pretty much any other group you could name. I think the term "hero" is used too loosely, but if it is to be applied to a general group, I'd put these guys right up there.

The fact they are able to resist engaging particularly impresses me.

Regarding the vile homophobic "Christians" of the WBC and free speech, one thing I've been curious about is their ability (thus far) to picket at the funerals themselves. Aren't there often certain areas that protestors are limited to at various events? If that curb on free speech -- not on speech, exactly, but the location of the speech -- is permitted, why can't a certain vicinity around a funeral also be protected? (Yes, it may be a slippery slope, but it seems to me that some sliding has already begun -- unless, of course, my understanding on these curbs is wrong.)
  5. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Patriot Guard Riders... what can you say. I truly feel speechless trying to describe the awesomeness of these guys. They make me proud to be an American.
  6. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Indeed, he made it a point to say they were completely non-violent. Of course he was also one Massive Dude so it begs the question who'd want to mess with them lol. From the footage FOX showed they all looked about the same way. I'd say they just manage to stay focused on why they're there, none of them looked pi**ed, they simply stood at attention with their flags and saluted the procession. Awesome people, they welcome anyone to join and/or donate.

I don't know how WB gets so close to funerals, all I can think of is when all those people were able to protest on some CEO's lawn for hours on end without interruption while the CEO's 14 year old child (who was home alone at the time) hid in the bathroom.
  7. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

For sure. The video I saw this am was awesome, if I come across it I'll post it.
  8. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 2 / -1

OT: This had to have been a police failing, as they were on private property, from what I understand. WBC is smart enough not to do that -- sadly, I think he and many other members are attorneys, and they make sure they abide by the law.
  9. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

That's a shame:cool:

A few videos of the Riders in action:
    YouTube - the patriot guard riders
  10. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

WBC will probably win the SCOTUS case. They are exceptional at interpreting and skirting the law.

But yes, I greatly admire the Patriot Guard. :rocker:
  11. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Justice is blind I guess but that's ok. The very same laws and rights which allow creepazoids to hold up demonic signs and shout terrible things are the same laws that allow the Riders to do the opposite. As long as the WB's continue to do what they do the Riders will continue to do what THEY do. That's what America's all about, and sometimes it's the likes of a WB that brings out the good in people. Not all of us need a gazillion laws to tell us what's right and wrong, all we need is the freedom and creativity to figure out a way to legally and peacefully neutralize wrongness.

The Patriot Guard Riders can't get enough press imo, not just because of what they do but because they exemplify what's good about the citizens of this country. I watched a couple of the videos, apparently there's about 40,000 Riders across the country. Most are veterans, some are parents of soldiers who've served or are currently serving, but some are just plain old citizens.

One of these days the WB will either slip up or just crawl back under their rock. Or simply get their a**es kicked out, like here:
    YouTube - Westboro Gets their ass kicked

:americaflag: