The Passing Onslaught of 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

pherein

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Thought this might be a good read

Brees, Marino and the Passing Onslaught of 2011 | Cold Hard Football Facts
As we’ve been pointing out this week, the passing numbers were off the charts in 2011. No records were safe, many fell, and many of them went to Drew Brees and the record-setting offense the New Orleans Saints put together this season.

Some quarterbacks made the previously lofty benchmarks of 5,000 yards and 40 touchdown passes look like older, mortal numbers such as 4,000 yards and 30 touchdowns. Four of the top six seasons all time in passing yardage belong to 2011, as do three of the top seven seasons in passing touchdowns.

The average game in 2011 consisted of:
44.36 points; the highest number since the 1965 season (46.1).
34.0 pass attempts per game per team (2nd highest in NFL history behind 34.8 in 1995).
20.4 completions per game per team (2nd highest in NFL history behind 20.5 in 2010).
All-time record-highs were set in gross passing yards per game (244.8) and net passing yards per game (229.7).
Only 2.82% of all passes were intercepted (2nd lowest; NFL record is 2.74% in 2008)
The league-wide yards per attempt (YPA) was 7.20, which is the highest since 1965.

While a lot of those numbers only put 2011 near the top, the season did break several league records in regards to passing.

It's become fantasy football and BB knows it. For the first time I'm actually not all that worried about having a defense for the playoffs. No defense can shutdown a great offense now, it's just not too damned hard with the way they call games now. The 9ers and Ravens aren't going to make it past the 2nd round, one of NE, NO, or GB are winning the superbowl.

I wish we could see the return of defense, but with the new rules and way they call games, not only does the offense have a big advantage, but we will continue to see the best players go to offensive positions where their skills can be best utilized. Why put a beast on defense where they can't breathe in the direction of an offensive player when they can be unstoppable on offense as a TE/WR/RB. It really is only going to get worse.

Note: Did anyone catch on Felger and Mazz that they changed a specific QB rule this year. In the event of a change of possession, a QB CANT be tackled/defended. Forget the "unnecessary roughness" against a QB on an INT return, now a new rule states they can't be touched even if they are going in for a tackle! It's becoming flag football...

There was a play at the end of the Pats/Bills game that truly spelled out to me that the rules in this league have changed so drastically it will be a passing league from here on out.

Late in the game, the unnecessary roughness call on McCourty. Saying he hit a "defenseless" reciever.

He essentially hit the receiver a split second after the ball got there, not with his helmet, and really not all that hard.

Essentially db's now need to wait to see if the Receiver catches the ball before they make any kind of contact.

Essentially every DB not named Revis has to give the recievers a 5 yard cushion for fear of getting penalized for occupying space a receiver may or may not wish to occupy.

Regardless though, the Saints to me look like the best team in the NFL at this point.

Last edited:
Me either Tune, its getting to pass happy. Were are the great DC to shut this down I wonder.

It's not up to the DC. It's up to the rules committee.

The fact that 3 of the top 4 teams have terrible defenses should really be a wake-up call.

There was a play at the end of the Pats/Bills game that truly spelled out to me that the rules in this league have changed so drastically it will be a passing league from here on out.

Late in the game, the unnecessary roughness call on McCourty. Saying he hit a "defenseless" reciever.

He essentially hit the receiver a split second after the ball got there, not with his helmet, and really not all that hard.

Essentially db's now need to wait to see if the Receiver catches the ball before they make any kind of contact.

Essentially every DB not named Revis has to give the recievers a 5 yard cushion for fear of getting penalized for occupying space a receiver may or may not wish to occupy.

Regardless though, the Saints to me look like the best team in the NFL at this point.

Thats absolutely added to the extra yardage. I wouldn't go there just yet though. We don't think we are the best, even though we fight on forum for it. Playoffs are so different from the regular season because you need a coach that understands 1 and done,and you have to play your best ball, Now, and every game. Right now, out of all the teams PiTT and NE have the only coaching staff that understand that. Maybe GB, NO, NY has some experience, because we have been there, done that. Out of those 3 only our coaching staff was humiliated in seattle.
Maybe that lesson learned pays off, maybe not.

But Pitt and NE have the most experience to deal with the playoffs. I think, so they are the best.

Last edited:
It's not up to the DC. It's up to the rules committee.

The fact that 3 of the top 4 teams have terrible defenses should really be a wake-up call.
Does anyone know if Indy retains their spot on the committee with Polian gone? Maybe we can get back to football and allow some contact.

I'm rewatching the Pats-Giants game, and that Giants pass rush is absolutely murderous.

I've lost count of the number of times the pocket immediately disintegrates on Brady, or never even gets formed.

The Giants, when they're on, seem to have an answer to the "passing onslaught".

I'm rewatching the Pats-Giants game, and that Giants pass rush is absolutely murderous.

I've lost count of the number of times the pocket immediately disintegrates on Brady, or never even gets formed.

that's awesome ... too bad what we are talking about in this thread is indirectly tied into why the Giants won that game ... (PI Calls) .. just sayn

it's where we are at ... Ive been watching all these bowl games .. I can't remember when I saw a QB take a snap underneath the center .. All shotgun..

They are completely a momentum team, and that is absolutely scary. Once things start going their way, the D-line and the QB light it up...

Giants might have the best DL in the NFL. JPP, tuck,and umenyiora ? OMG
I think the Falcons are toast, and GB will have their hands full. They never faced the Giants full DL. Were not even sure our #1-5 OL can stop the giants DL. We are understandablely worried about the Giants. We think they have the talent to crack any of the best offensive lines.

Last edited:
it's where we are at ... Ive been watching all these bowl games .. I can't remember when I saw a QB take a snap underneath the center .. All shotgun..

I'm watching the Orange Bowl with a first-half score of 42-20. I'm sorry, but I find football like this boring. It's like basketball on grass. Now I'm wondering why the college game is going this direction.

I'm watching the Orange Bowl with a first-half score of 42-20. I'm sorry, but I find football like this boring. It's like basketball on grass. Now I'm wondering why the college game is going this direction.

maybe because we make villains of guys like Harrison that want to kick your ass, take your QB and crush him, and don't care what you think. How many fines would L.Taylor have today ,lol. LT would not have cared, he would have ripped Bradys head off. But its a different time. for some reason I don't think Pats fans would be to happy seeing Brady beatin up, and complement the defensive play. Do you?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes