PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The "pass-rushing OLB" myth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patspsycho

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Every time that "we need an OLB" gets out of control, I like to post this wonderful treatise by Jays52:

Happy New Years, all. I've had the d on my mind throughout the entire season. I was probably over optimistic at times, but I still think that it was the strongest part of the team this year. I have been impressed with their ability to get off the field when needed. I have been impressed with their ability to dial up the blitz. I have been most impressed by some of the creativity behind the plays and sets.

Overall, I think that this is an extremely skilled squad. I think that the "lack of a pass rush" thing is just an easy term for the uneducated to throw out there. The fact of the matter is that a weak pass rush isn't a new problem for the Patriots. 08 was probably the worst year, with 07 being quite close as well. At least this season the team has the horses to run the race. This is the first season in quite a few years that the team has legitimate NFL speed on defense. If you have the speed to get to the QB, you can actually send people. Scheme can compensate for lack of an elite edge rusher, and we are seeing more and more blitzing from this team. This is indicative of the players getting what the coaches are trying to do, and the coaches trusting their players ability to reach the QB.

While I certainly think that a legit pass rusher (in additon to another serviceable TBC type) is needed, I think that too much emphasis is placed upon the OLB in the 34 getting your heat. Let's consider pass protection schemes. At it's most basic, pass blocking schemes are set up as a "mug" protection. Often, you hear the "cup" protection, but it is more of a "mug". Cup protection forms a semi-circle pocket, mug protection has the guards and center staying more stout in their protection, as the tackles bring the ends upfield. This facilitates sliding much better than cup protection schemes. Too much emphasis is placed on edge rushers simply beating a tackle, end, or back (usually a combination) and getting a shot on the QB as he hits his hitch step. Largely, Belichick was responsible for this line of thought with the way he utilized the real LT. It really is much more than that, though. Pass rush is primarily about taking away avenues of escape. Be it sliding, throwing lanes, or hot reads, the rush needs to take these away to be effective. As an example, take a look at the best pocket slider in the NFL, #12. He is extremely tough to get after because he understands where the pressure is coming from, where in the pocket he can move to, and where his help is. When Brady is pressured effectively, teams understand how he moves. He has an initial slide, usually caused by an edge guy getting upfield. Brady then slides towards the B gap and uses the forward momentum of his step to deliver a strike either downfield or to a zone vacated by an extra rusher. When he is taken down, the defense beats a guard or center and puts a guy directly into the slide. This is accomplished by interior rush. The inverse of this situation is also true. Inside rush can also flush a QB into an end. We are seeing this type of complimentary pass rush from the Patriots recently. They understand how QB's move in the pocket and take advantage of it. The safeties and ILB's are becoming highly proficient rushers, and it is showing more and more on the field as the inside rush becomes a halmark of this Patriots team. Yes, they do need an elite edge guy to create a true swarm, but they are compensating quite well.

I'm guessing you don't have a bulletproof vest, Psycho...I think this may prove to be a mistake....INCOMINNNNNNNNNNNG!!!..:bricks:

Jay52 nailed it.

The premise of this D as BB has said is "everyone do YOUR job" we had a young athletic fast D. We had breakdowns because young players would get in the wrong position ie they didn't do 'their' job. Experience will cure this.

Lack of talent wasn't the issue the D improved as the young players got more experience. IF the DL hadn't been destroyed by injuries (2 healthy DL in the playoff's) the D would have been fine in the playoffs.

When we understand that and the reality that we may have little or no offseason to integrate rookies into the scheme this draft looks great lots of talent for 2012, and 2 rb's who need the least time to learn their job and contribute this year for the position.

What, do you mean to tell me that the thought jays52 put into his commentary makes more sense than the thought put into "#*&%!+ Belichick sonof ^!@*+* stupid idiotic arrogant mother*%@!=/: dumbass" commentary found on draft day threads within milliseconds after a draft pick is made?

Regardless of position, the Pats need an elite pass rusher if they want to win a title.

10 Packers: Clay Matthews (OLB)
09 Saints: Will Smith
08 Steelers: Harrison and Woodley (OLB)
07 Giants: Strahan, Umenyiora, and Tuck
06 Colts: Freeney and Mathis

Patriots: Tully Banta-Cain???

What, do you mean to tell me that the thought jays52 put into his commentary makes more sense than the thought put into "#*&%!+ Belichick sonof ^!@*+* stupid idiotic arrogant mother*%@!=/: dumbass" commentary found on draft day threads within milliseconds after a draft pick is made?

Yes, I dare say that.

There is also the issue that the way NFL offenses are run today, it is virtually impossible to get pressure on over half the throws that are out before anyone but an untouched rusher could even get close enough to have any impact on the QB.

There are some inalienable truths with every NFL fan base, and you can go to 32 boards and they will all complain about these at times

1) The OC sucks, I could call better plays
2) The QB has all day we need a pass rush
3) When we allow 1 sack, our QB is getting murdered, our OL is a turnstile
4) When a pass is caught, that corner is toast
5) Any game that is lost is because the team 'didnt show up' and weren't into it
6) Any run of over 10 yards means we are getting 'gashed' and cant stop the run to save our lives.
7) Any loss is ultimately blamed by some on the refs
8) A winning team that loses a game really sucks, and is overrated and should make wholesale changes
9) A losing team that wins is ready to break out
10) If next weeks opponent won last week, we are in trouble because they are hot, if they lost, we are doomed because they are mad,

Fans are the same everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
lolz.....I especially like #10.
you'd think carolina and oakland would be the most feared teams in the league as pissed off as they must be.
talk about revenge games......

Regardless of position, the Pats need an elite pass rusher if they want to win a title.

Apparently you did not read what Jay wrote about the myth of the "elite pass-rusher." Having an elite pass-rusher most definitely is not going to win you any title, because you know who he is, and where he is coming from. Any QB with an iota of smarts will know to slide protection, play away, or exploit the vacant zone behind him.

Great pass-rushing or pressure occurs when you don't know where it's coming from. That's far more effective, when it's a result of the system than a single player such as Matthews, an one-trick pony who Vollmer completely shut down in the Packers game.

What was misconstrued as a lack of an elite pass-rusher, I have time and again, rewatched most of the games, and I have seen clearly that it had mostly to do with youth more than anything else (lack of consistent focus, mental toughness, scheme execution).

It only got better as the season went on, as Andy points out (see below), and while the 3rd down conversion rate went down slightly, it still went down.

Did you know:

In the second half of last season:

The Patriots were tied for 2nd in the NFL in sacks (1 out of first)
Allowed only a 57.4% completion percentage, 9th best in the league
Led the league in Ints
Allowed the 3rd fewest points at less than 16 per game.
Held half of their opponents to 7 points or less. Think about that 7 points or less in half of the games.
And were 8-0
Beat 5 playoff teams in those 8 wins
While allowing a 46% 3rd down conversion rate.

These numbers suggest something different than what you are saying.
They developed into a good pass rushing team. (Good by comparison to the league, not some opinion)
Pass defense was good
Overall defense was very good
3rd down conversion stats werent so good, even with the 2nd most sacks but the defense still dominated.

Maybe using terms like laughable to describe a defense that opened the season with a slew of new starters and young players and developed into the one that accomplished what you see above when it gelled.
Is there room for improvement, sure. Is there a reason to describe the defense of this team as if we were the Panthers? Of course not, and it cheapens whatever point you are trying to make.

The majority of the league relies on pin-your-ears back rushers, so the majority of superbowl winners will have the Clay Matthews and the Dwight Freeneys. Doesn't mean collapsing the pocket slowly but surely won't work.

I'd rather have a pocket collapser that can also look for the run. I'm still haunted by the 2009 playoff loss.

A lot of our sacks used to come from the DL collapsing the pocket, or wearing down the line.

We could potentially be pretty strong this year with the addition of Stroud and Warren, progression of Brace and maybe resigning Gerard.

Hopefully, we are able to add one more young pillar in coming years.

Cunningham should be much better with less thinking and more playing. I'm sure he had a lot thrown at him last year. Moore might be that guy that is just itching to get his shot after obscurity. Looked like it last year. I think Nink is a good hustling player, not a star, but we've gone a long way with hard working improving players.

I think TBC is gone. Knows the system, not real strong against the run, so what's the excuse? Good contract run the year before, I guess. What do we lose by bringing in some situational rusher?

Last edited:
I don't see stroud or brace collapsing any pocket on passing downs, and maybe not even warren --- but I'm staying positive.

Well, lets spin the facts to fit the conclusion.
Will Smith is not an elite pass rusher. He has averaged less than 7 sacks a year for his career.
The Giants did not have an elite pass rusher in 2007, they had a number of pretty decent ones.

first off, you should be aware that 4-3 ends, have different jobs than 3-4 ends, or olb, just as 3-4 olb will play differently in pitt than they do in ne.
not to say maybe gb and pitt don't have better defenses -- they certainly do pretty well, while we haven't exactly been elite, but then again we hung 32 on the steelers, 24 on green bay, and 45 on the jets , so let's not act like we're horrible and these other teams have it all figured out.

It's no ******* myth. Every top D in the league features a fearsome pass rusher.

Yet none of those defenders can also stop the run or play in two gaps. did u not see clay in the SB and vs NE? he got put on his ass if it wasnt for pickett the play would have never happened vs the steelers.

There arent alot of tamba hali's and suggs walking around, and to be honest cunningham is pretty damn close(Cunningham being picked around the same place as woodley)

Last edited:
Being blockable on a class of plays isn't the end of the world, as long as you generally occupy your blocker without leaving him free to do much else.

If you destroy single blockers on the pass rush and merely occupy a blocker on running plays, you can still be a very good player.

That's not how BB designs his defenses. He wants everybody who's apt to have a blocker on him to be at least an occupier-plus, never likely to be so controlled he can't come off the block and at least participate in making a play. But defenses with less stoutness and more speed than that can succeed as well.

There is also the issue that the way NFL offenses are run today, it is virtually impossible to get pressure on over half the throws that are out before anyone but an untouched rusher could even get close enough to have any impact on the QB.

There are some inalienable truths with every NFL fan base, and you can go to 32 boards and they will all complain about these at times

1) The OC sucks, I could call better plays
2) The QB has all day we need a pass rush
3) When we allow 1 sack, our QB is getting murdered, our OL is a turnstile
4) When a pass is caught, that corner is toast
5) Any game that is lost is because the team 'didnt show up' and weren't into it
6) Any run of over 10 yards means we are getting 'gashed' and cant stop the run to save our lives.
7) Any loss is ultimately blamed by some on the refs
8) A winning team that loses a game really sucks, and is overrated and should make wholesale changes
9) A losing team that wins is ready to break out
10) If next weeks opponent won last week, we are in trouble because they are hot, if they lost, we are doomed because they are mad,

Fans are the same everywhere.

11) I think I'll trust my GM and my head coach more than I trust you armchair evaluators.

12) If you question any of the team's moves, you aren't a true fan

sound familiar? :D

Apparently you did not read what Jay wrote about the myth of the "elite pass-rusher." Having an elite pass-rusher most definitely is not going to win you any title, because you know who he is, and where he is coming from. Any QB with an iota of smarts will know to slide protection, play away, or exploit the vacant zone behind him.

agreed. thats why teams like the colts (Freeney), packers (Matthews), Ravens (Suggs) and Steelers (Harrison) routinely have trouble pressuring the QB. After all, it's not like an elite pass-rusher gets extra attention paid to them in the protection schemes, opening opportunities for their teammates tio clean up after them . . .

Every time that "we need an OLB" gets out of control, I like to post this wonderful treatise by Jays52:

Was this posted before or after the divisional playoff game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes