Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Party of No Blocks International Protecting Girls Preventing Child Marriage Act

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Dec 17, 2010.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

The party of no strikes again, after overwhelming bipartisan support in the Senate the Party of no votes it down.. shameful these representatives of family values..

What is the GOTP afraid of? Alienating the voters in Kentucky? What is the matter with the GOTP? Two gay adults can't get married, but a 65 year old man can marry a 10 year old girl? GOTP you are beyond disgusting*. What goes around, comes around.. sick f...cks.

House Republicans Block Bill Aiming to Prevent Child Marriage - The Note

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

Re: The Party of No Blocks International Protecting Girls Preventing Child Marriage A

So we shouldn't interfere in countries that send people to kill us, but we should trash cultures in the third world......OK.

Do you think congress is deluded enough to think this would help?
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Re: The Party of No Blocks International Protecting Girls Preventing Child Marriage A

The vote was 241-166. How many republicans are there in congress? :confused2:
  4. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I just read the rest of the article. Not for nothing, but what part of broke do people not understand? We're trillions in debt, and americans are struggling. Why should we spend money on such a program at this point in time? It's no wonder the vast majority currently serving were recently fired.
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

bills with little structure and wiggle room need to be the politics of old.

Good idea for the bill ... a great idea.

These people are smart enough to craft a bill with no wiggle room

... but to do that means they need to shed the ways of old ... this is why we are broke and broken.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

This is nothing more or less than putting politics FIRST and people LAST. That is today's Republican party, plain and simple. Whether its young girls, first responders*, gays, illegal children--*no matter how sympatheti*c the group, the GOP resists or ignore their needs because to help them would put the tally in the Democrat's camp, not theirs.

There is a very obvious pattern here, and it will come back to bite them in the azz.. the only ones who will learn to love these guys are the Chamber of Commerce and big oil.

Yet there are posters from the right who rail daily, about how we are silent on the world stage about abuse towards women, he wants Hollywood to respond, but when given the chance for our country to respond the party of no sends this worthy bill down the shytter...

Comments from Steve LaTourette R-Ohio..

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +316 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

I think you are deluded enough to not understand that it is primarily Muslim countries (the ones you generally think we should "interfere" with) which practice child marriage.

The main countries where it is primarily practiced are Yemen, Saudi America, Pakistan and Afghanistan.
  8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 5 / -8

You have to wonder how much of this aberrant behavior actually scores points with anybody. With congressional republicans polling even lower than congressional dems, you also have to wonder whether they've mistaken a "throw the bums out" vote for a right-turn among the voters.

I think they tell us they've mistaken "a" for "b", but are actually aware their views and actions are abhorrent.

The trick is to repeat over an over again that it's the people's will until the people say "Ohhhhhhh, I personally don't believe in child marriage, but it turns out The People think it's okay... what the heck, I'll stick with these guys, it's no big deal..."
  9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

What as a practical matter will this bill in the USA do to change anything in the KSA?

or is it just more taxpayer $$$ for NGO's?
  10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +316 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

It's exactly what you've always espoused, 13.....it's a beginning to fighting that "War on Islam," that you keep accusing the US of not fighting.

In fact, you've told us that we have "no alternative" but to change their game.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...icies-put-us-risk-today-page2.html#post130872
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Save the children!
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

A great, noble idea.. well said.
  13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 1 / -10

What happens to girls in foreign isn't our responsibility...what happens to girls in the United States is. And to think democrats almost decided to use our tax dollars for more over-seas issues. Damn shame...

Now, had the bill included wiping out Sharia law as part of a world-wide effort (not just the USA), then I'd be all for it. But you can't dismantle sharia law one piece at a time.
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Neither was our intrusion into Iraq.... we meddle all the times in the affairs of foreign countries, why do you think we have over 700 bases all over the world, this was a very positive step shot down by the grand old tea party.. passed unanimously in the Senate..

700 unnecessary bases around the world is a goddam waste of money, and a real shame.. but there is silence.. Karzai walking around with 52 millions of dollars of taxpayers money in his pockets is a real shame.. the continued waste and fraud of the defense industry is a real shame.

BTW, hard for you to believe, but this is not exclusive to Sharia law.. girls married very young happens in many cultures..
  15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

Save The Children:
    Most of the children that need to be saved in America are living in "America's Housing Projects"
  16. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Ah good, so evidently you are in the mold of Reagan and Bush 43, spreading a culture of morality to other sovereign nations! Glad to have you on the team!

Seriously though, what does the bill do? From what I've read it promotes ending of child marriages overseas as a goal. Um, OK, great, I'm sure before introducing the bill Obama was all about child marriage, but NOW he'll see it as a problem! What exactly do you think, short of invasion, we could do to stop the practice, and do we need a separate bill to state that we should be trying to wipe out the practice?

At any rate I disagree with house republicans here, they should have passed it, although as RW mentioned many Dems must have voted against as well. I just think its funny how the goal of spreading morality was abhorred by the left until... it wasn't. Personally I'd like to see the US use our foreign aid (and the threat of cutting it off) as more of a diplomatic tool. Yemen practices this and is slated to get $100 million from the US in 2011.

ForeignAssistance.gov

Of course there's the argument that being culturally insensitive, even if we consider the culture barbaric, will drive more anti-american sentiment and lead to more terrorism.
  17. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

“Some conservatives have expressed the following concerns,” they said. “The bill authorizes $108 million over five years – before ascertaining how much is already being spent on similar programs that aim to prevent child marriage – and without finding any offsets.”

So the real question is what is in place now to help prevent this in other countries (since we can't pass laws for other countries) and how was the $108 million going to prevent, in other countries, what would be rape in the U.S.? But, then again as Whoopi and the gang that hates Bill Orielly and Fox News so much they walked off the set would tell you, "it's not rape, rape." :rolleyes:
  18. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +146 / 2 / -1

Protecting children abroad isn't our responsibility but preventing sharia abroad is?
  19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Our foreign policy has sent a mixed message to many foreign countries, and no where is it more evident than in the mideast.. we turn a blind eye to countries that espouse barbaric policies toward women and children, if we are allowed to have a base there..

Not sure if I espouse morality, than the attitude of the GOTP that just saying no is the only answer..

I agree that this will not accomplish much, but it is better than not being on record as against.. it makes me mindful of the hesitation by the US not agreeing with banning landmines, which really effects women and children more than anyone else.

Or banning drones, which also effects women and children as well, but we rationalize this by calling it collateral damage..
  20. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

This is very true. For bases, for oil, for even the hope of cooperation in the war on terror (I'm looking at you Pakistan!). There are many reasons we as a country get into bed with some pretty bad people. I guess the question is where do we draw the line? I mean, I'm no big fan of the Saudis, but having them as even a quasi-ally is helpful both militarily and economically. In this case I agree with passing the bill as I don't see it affecting our foreign relationships to any degree, but in a more general sense I don't think we'll be able to impress our moral code on other nations and expect them to capitulate or to continue working with us on things that serve our own national interest.

As an aside I also draw a distinction between calling for an end to barbaric practices like child marriage and banning weapons systems that may give our troops an advantage in the field. Even for something we might consider outdated like landmines there can still be a vital use, such as setting an impenetrable perimeter around a camp in hostile territory.