Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Pacific

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by KontradictioN, Feb 13, 2010.

1. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,750 / 30 / -48

No Jersey Selected

Ten part miniseries from the Producers of Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan. This looks EXCELLENT. It's about time someone made an epic about what happened in the Pacific theatre of World War II.

HBO: The Pacific: Homepage
  2. dalero

dalero PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -2

If it's half as good as Band Of Brothers it will be great.
  3. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,750 / 30 / -48

No Jersey Selected

It looks better to me. Much better.
  4. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Reason why there wasn't a grand mini-series about the Pacific war yet is probably too much cost associated with it because of so much has to do with the navy, exotic locations, and politics...

There have been dozens of movies about this part of the war from before to after the war including numerous classics just nothing like this is going to be.

Wikipedia has a write up of the movie: it's based on the lives of three US Marines, one whose accounts will be used from boot camp to Guadalcanal to Peleliu and the other from the battles of Peleliu to Okinawa. A third is based on the real life story of a Medal of Honor winner who was in the battle of Guadalcanal, went stateside, then came back to fight and die on Iwo Jima...

It's about as encompassing as you can get for the Marines' perspective of the war.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  5. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,054 / 6 / -23

#61 Jersey

My dad fought in Okinawa, I remember some of the stories he told. After the island was secured a group of Americans played a baseball game against some Japanese prisoners. One of the Japanese players committed an error and his commanding officer walked over and gave him a heated lecture.

I'd like to see a series about the early WW II naval battles in the North Atlantic, including the sinking of the Bismarck, the last great naval battle.
  6. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,750 / 30 / -48

No Jersey Selected

Simply excellent. That's all I can say about this. Pure excellence. A tour de force of film making. Looking forward to seeing this one play out.
  7. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Awesome, I was excited to hear about this after seeing Band of Brothers (which I found amazing) and the first episode totally lived up to my expectations.
  8. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

Was going to start a new thread and found this one. This series has been absolutely fantastic, and definitely reccomend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

That being said, I have to say that this is definitely a campaign that deserved the recognition this series has given it. It's amazing to see what those guys went through and how hard it really was. Definitely gives you a whole new respect for them. I've definitely enjoyed it so far.
  9. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,750 / 30 / -48

No Jersey Selected

My dad was a Marine during Vietnam and he had relatives who were Marines during WWII. They will be the first to tell you that the Japanese were the most formidable nemesis that this country has ever faced. They lived by the code of the bushido and, most of the time, the Marines had to kill the Japanese to the last man in order to take control of the particular island. This fact is what prompted the part from this past week's episode:

"Why don't they just surrender?"
    "Because they're Japs. We're going to have to root them out one by one."
  10. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My only knock on it would be the fact it hasn't gripped me the way Band of Brothers did yet, it keeps flirting whereas Band of Brothers made you feel like you knew the whole company right from basic. You can still rattle names off like Malarkey, Lipton, Winters and Shifty Powers. I thought BoB captured the atmoshpere between guys brilliantly, it took you deeper than The Pacific has so far and didn't waste time showing guys getting their hole, atleast till Holland.

So far the only guys I know a single thing about are Leckie and Sledge and I still don't know what I am following apart from the obvious battles in the Pacific theater. Are we following Leckie or are we seeing Sledges rise from being medicaly unfit to his story during the campaign? BoB took you inside with the guys, with The Pacific your sort of on the outside trying to look in and follow their experiences.
  11. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +604 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

I agree with this, but I would also say it's a bit too early to pass judgment. It took me two or three times of watching BoB before I could fully appreciate it. I think the Pacific will benefit from repeat viewings.

I would like to have seen Sledge's bootcamp story a bit more. That scene with the mortar and "Tojo" and "****face" was pretty great.

It's good to see a series on the Pacific. I think part of the reason it doesn't get as much airplay is because it was a nasty war, fought against an enemy who was largely unknown within the American consciousness. If you look at the material from the time, the propaganda is focused much more on Hitler and Mussolini than anyone else. Americans were/are more familiar with the battlefields and locations of Europe, and there was a sense that every time there was a victory, some great, ancient town or city was being liberated.

In the Pacific, there was horrific battles going on against a suicidal enemy, led by some guy named Tojo, all for gaining control of god-forsaken lumps of volcanic rock and ash in the middle of the Pacific. Of course, this perspective isn't entirely true, but that's the common perception, and I think also that the jungle warfare reminds people too much of Vietnam.

That's my amateur psychology take on it.
  12. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Last night dragged a little but overall I'm impressed. I'd agree its not as good as band of brothers just because that had so much more of a linear storyline and development of a fixed group of characters, but I'm still enjoying it immensely.
  13. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Also, "Looks like you won the sack race" was an absolutely classic moment. I was laughing my ***** off.
  14. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It is getting deeper. Thats exactly what I mean when you say about not seeing any of Sledges or Leckies basic, you basically see them leaving mummy and daddy and then it jumps massively to them in theater leaving us trying to catch up. I think thats where the Pacific suffers the snail pace start in terms of telling their story. For me The Pacific only really starts after three or four episodes, even with Guadacanal early on.

I'd imagine you guys are ahead of us, our episode last night was Peleliu Airfield.
  15. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,750 / 30 / -48

No Jersey Selected

Yeah, we just got started on Iwo Jima. If you dont feel an attachment to any characters yet, trust me when I say that you WILL get attached to John Basilone before this episode occurs.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 4, 2010
  16. PlainOldEd

PlainOldEd Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

"We call you ball peen hammer, you know..... that's a little hammer"
  17. Ian

Ratings:
    +245 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

The series is obviously now over - so what are your thoughts about this one now in general? I really enjoyed it, but I have to say I could have really watched more of this and felt that they really didn't delve deep enough into it.

I enjoyed the character development, but definitely agree with others who feel it could have been even longer and as a result more interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed it and definitely have a new found respect for everyone who served in this part of the campaign, and have found myself researching some of these guys and been fascinated by the other details that really didn't come out during this series.

What are everyone else's reactions?

Ian
  18. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,750 / 30 / -48

No Jersey Selected

I know that the story is supposed to follow Basilone, Sledge, and the other guy (name escapes me now), but I really think they should have showed more of Iwo Jima. What they showed simply did not do that battle one lick of justice. This could have been SO much better. The series had promise and was enjoyable, but they dropped the ball more than a few times. I came into this expecting a raw, unflinching look at Iwo Jima and Okinawa, but we only got a slight taste of both battles and, though they tried damn hard, the people behind the show still didn't do justice to the punishment that those Marines had to go through in order to defeat the Japanese in those two battles.
  19. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

We just had Iwo Jima last night, was pretty good purely because theres a story there, It gave you chance to see his side. Then of course once you start to feel his character......I think theres two left now here but my initial opinion remains the same. I think it was a challenge for them to try and keep the viewer in the loop of all three characters but for me it didn't work throughout.
  20. Ian

Ratings:
    +245 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

I agree completely with this assessment, as this was my biggest complaint also. I would have liked more of an in-depth look at both battles, which were two of the costliest in that campaign. I actually really enjoyed the narratives at the beginning of each episode, as I thought those were really well done. Part of me hopes that Hanks includes more in-depth ones in the DVD set when it comes out, because as KontradictioN said, they didn't do enough to really show those two battles.

:agree: