PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The pace Jamie Collins is on..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well....

amd_giants_lawrence_taylor.jpg
Out of curiosity, what in the eye test makes you think that should Collins continue to put things together mentally that he could not be comparable to the real LT? IMO there aren't any, then compound that with his agility and value in the passing game and the potential is very much there for him to be a truly once in a generation player. If Watt is Seymour 2.0, Collins is, without question, LT 2.0...he's still just 25 and playing linebacker in a Belichick system in his third year straight reacting. That's really, really special. Combine that with his insane agility, explosion, and movement and he's truly a once-in-a-generation player just like LT was.

It will be interesting to see who Belichick tries to retain in the offseason, between Collins and Hightower.

Both are signed through the 2016 season, so I'd expect one this spring and one of the other/Chandler Jones the next spring when they hit free agency.

My guess is that Belichick will try to lock up Hightower first, but it will be interesting. I don't know if he'd offer Collins a new deal after his third year next offseason or not, but he's the kind of guy who you may want to lock up earlier than later.

Out of curiosity, what in the eye test makes you think that should Collins continue to put things together mentally that he could not be comparable to the real LT? IMO there aren't any, then compound that with his agility and value in the passing game and the potential is very much there for him to be a truly once in a generation player. If Watt is Seymour 2.0, Collins is, without question, LT 2.0...he's still just 25 and playing linebacker in a Belichick system in his third year straight reacting. That's really, really special. Combine that with his insane agility, explosion, and movement and he's truly a once-in-a-generation player just like LT was.

Lawrence Taylor was already that guy at 22.

He only got better. There has never been a more feared pass-rusher, and that includes Reggie White. And, when asked to, he could also cover at a pretty good level. And he was phenomenal against the run. I don't know if the cocaine helped or hurt him, but I do know he was almost never out of position, and almost never got beat, or blocked. Some of that was, I'm sure, Belichick simplifying things, but I could then ask, isn't he doing the same for Collins?

This isn't to say that Collins isn't a great player, and he's got a chance to be the best LB that has ever played here (although he's got a ways to catch Andre Tippett) for sure. But Lawrence Taylor is, in my mind, and I think in Bill Belichick's mind, the greatest linebacker to ever put on shoulder pads. That would make Taylor the best LB Belichick has ever coached.

And JJ Watt is better than Richard Seymour ever was. The two really don't merit comparison. Seymour was very good and filled his position very well at times. JJ Watt is a disruptive force in both the run and pass game, and an exponentially better athlete.

They need to extend him while they can still afford him. .

He's going to command huge money in free agency. .. huge, huge money. .

I'm a big fan of Hi and Chandler but Collins is priority #1, #2 and #3.

BB agrees with this. I'm certain of it.

Unless Collins is not happy here or with the region or hes letting his representation run his life, no way he leaves here. No way. Pats will absolutely make him a fair offer or more.

He only got better. There has never been a more feared pass-rusher, and that includes Reggie White. And, when asked to, he could also cover at a pretty good level. And he was phenomenal against the run. I don't know if the cocaine helped or hurt him, but I do know he was almost never out of position, and almost never got beat, or blocked.

Spot on. LT was the most devastating, dynamic defensive player in NFL history. If they kept track of forced fumbles he'd have ~30 for his career I'm sure. He was insane. From a speed standpoint, Taylor was clocked at 4.53/40 but many say he was in the 4.4s b/c for the combine he was hungover.:rolleyes: He was beating Giant WRs and DBs in sprinting drills. Craazy.

Some of that was, I'm sure, Belichick simplifying things, but I could then ask, isn't he doing the same for Collins?

This isn't to say that Collins isn't a great player, and he's got a chance to be the best LB that has ever played here (although he's got a ways to catch Andre Tippett) for sure. But Lawrence Taylor is, in my mind, and I think in Bill Belichick's mind, the greatest linebacker to ever put on shoulder pads. That would make Taylor the best LB Belichick has ever coached.

When LT was a rookie, Parcells wasn't sure if LT could start because of how complex the D was. BB(who was his position coach as BB didn't become DC till 1985) kept it very simple for LT because he felt that b/c his football IQ and physical ability was so off the charts, he felt that he would pick it up as he went. LTs learning style was seeing and doing as opposed to studying. He'd walk into meetings 1/2 asleep and recite from memory the entire defensive strategy for the next game including where players needed so be on down/distance, etc. He was a total savant in that regard.

I dont know if Jamie Collins is like that but he sure is kicking ass out there.

And JJ Watt is better than Richard Seymour ever was. The two really don't merit comparison. Seymour was very good and filled his position very well at times. JJ Watt is a disruptive force in both the run and pass game, and an exponentially better athlete.

No question Watt is more explosive but Sey wasn't exactly turned loose as a pass rusher while he was here. Would have liked to see 2001-2008 Seymour in that HOU defense.

It will be interesting to see who Belichick tries to retain in the offseason, between Collins and Hightower.

Both are signed through the 2016 season, so I'd expect one this spring and one of the other/Chandler Jones the next spring when they hit free agency.

My guess is that Belichick will try to lock up Hightower first, but it will be interesting. I don't know if he'd offer Collins a new deal after his third year next offseason or not, but he's the kind of guy who you may want to lock up earlier than later.

They were drafted a year apart so I am not sure they need to be extended at the same time.

It's nearly impossible to exceed that expectation, though
Which is why it's also nearly impossible to say that Collins could be the best LB that BB has coached.

JJ Watt and Richard Seymour played in entirely different eras. Having 8 sack seasons as a 3-4 DE was unheard of during Big Sey's time. With how good he was against the run (which mattered a whole lot more than the pass "back then") the sacks he got were just the cherry on top. Yes Watt is a better player but not by much.

I think Collins and Hightower will both be extended because you can effectively extend both of them. DEs get paid way too much due to the glamour of the position. If we sign Chandler Jones I doubt we can sign either Collins or Hightower.

Both get extended prior to the 2016 season.

We really need to thank the Bears for Collins. BB was set on yet another gator Bostic. What could have been.

They were drafted a year apart so I am not sure they need to be extended at the same time.

They are all under contract through the end of the 2016 season due to the Pats picking up the fifth year options of Chandler Jones and Hightower. As mentioned by the previous poster, Collins was a 2nd round pick so he's due at the same time since the fifth year isn't an option.

Either way you look at it, we'll have all 3 of those players hitting FA after next season, so they'll almost certainly want to extend one sooner rather than later. That would leave them one more player to extend, assuming that they are going to try and keep some combo of 2/3. They could end up trying to keep all three.

Both get extended prior to the 2016 season.

I hope so. That could allow them to try and lock up all three, which would be terrific.

Collins is a top10 stud but his game is very different from LT. LT was a sack master. Collins isn't a sack master but he's elite at everything else.

Wasn't some people giving him some flak after the first game of the season. If there ever was a good example of premature.

[QUOTE="Joey007, post: 4358212, member: 20655"
You don't see guys like him very often. I don't only see him being a pro bowler by the end of the year. I see him being in contention for defensive player of the year at the end of this year.[/QUOTE]

At this pace, Collins will be set for the rest of his life with his next contract.

He only got better. There has never been a more feared pass-rusher, and that includes Reggie White. And, when asked to, he could also cover at a pretty good level. And he was phenomenal against the run. I don't know if the cocaine helped or hurt him, but I do know he was almost never out of position, and almost never got beat, or blocked. Some of that was, I'm sure, Belichick simplifying things, but I could then ask, isn't he doing the same for Collins?

Defenses are a lot more complicated than in Taylor's era. Also, in particular, Taylor often got to play "elephant" and choose his role and position.

All that said, I think of Taylor as controlling the playing field in a way that Watt might, but Collins doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back