Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Oregon vote

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Just one week after the media chattering classes announced that Republican Scott Brown's upset win in Massachusetts represented a political sea change, voters in Oregon sent an unmistakable message of their own. And to be sure, they signaled an important win for Democrats and their progressive allies.

Rather than gut school funding and other essential government services during a recession like most states, Oregonians voted to raise taxes on the wealthiest residents and boost the minimum corporate tax from its shocking level of $10 a year.

http://crooksandliars.com/jon-perr/oregon-sends--progressive-message-on-taxes

In an election with 59% turnout statewide, voters approved both Measure 66 (which raises taxes on households with taxable income above $250,000) and Measure 67 (which sets sets higher minimum taxes on corporations and increases the tax rate on upper-level profits) by a comfortable 6 point, 90,000 vote margin. With a 70% "yes" vote, Portland's Multnomah County alone provided most of the difference.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  2. Gunnails

Gunnails Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Portland politics is wac, bunch of loons.
  3. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I'm sure it was easy too. The "raise taxes on the rich" and "have to cut funding for schools" because we need more money. Same tricks they've played in California for the past 30 years.

Good job, Oregon. Say bye bye to job creators who live in your state. Let us all know what your unemployment numbers are next year.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

wow....

talk about knowing NOTHING.

California just balanced its budget by cutting education, healthcare, parks, and retirement for state workers. We also approved offshore drilling.

MIght wanna understand why Disnyland pays less in property tax in cali than most private landowners.

MIght wanna know that it took a simple majority to pass prop 13 in California...but it will take a 75% vote to increase taxes.

here: (because you dont seem to know what you are talking about)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_13_(1978)

California is attempting to fix its budget crisis by all conservative measures.

Oregon is attempting liberal ones.

lets see who climbs out first, and stronger?
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +296 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

All good stuff there. So there's a few more kids in my kids' classroom - no difference. And boo hoo, we approved offshore drilling.

Anyway, on subject - it's easy to vote to increase others' taxes.
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

what?

If you are in town sometime, I'll take you to Alameda (Near Oakland) where they clean the High school semi-daily, because there arent enough janitors or money to clean the schools everyday. There is also no music or sports programs at these schools, thanks to Prop 13...

which Ironically is the exact opposite of what you posted as being difficult. Somehow it was EASY to vote a property tax DECREASE in California.

It has slowly destroyed our state. Ask any resident NOT living in Orange county.

and honestly...you will be shedding some tears in the future with the uneducated, malnourished, unhealthy generation that supposidly will be taking care of us.

crocodiles...
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +296 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I'm a resident not living in OC, I'll ask myself :)

My kids' schools laid off teachers, everything is fine. My 4th grader has the same teacher as my (now) 6th grader had for 4th grade; she has more kids but I don't see any difference from how it was two years ago. We still have music at our middle school but if we need to make further cuts I have no problem with that going. I'd much prefer my kids have an extra 30 minutes of math or english than screw around with a trumpet or whatever. We've been cut too (I live in CA, remember) and my kids' schools are just fine - not noticeably different from before the cuts.
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that there are/were more people voting that made less than $250,000 a year, than there were that made more. That's some vote. Says a lot really.

BTW, I sure bet it will help Oregon balance their loss short term. The problem will be in future years, when fewer people making good money will want to move, and/or live there. Understand that higher earners, even at lower rates, pay more actual dollars in total taxes. A large population of $50k earners will mean a lot of debt, since the total dollar figure confiscated will be low, in comparrison to taxing a population with a larger portion of higher earners.
  9. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Really? California has balanced its budget? I thought they were still 20 billion in the red? Can you send me a link to an article that details this there, smart one?

Oregon will learn, eventually, that its "government spending, stupid"! There's not a problem with the amount of income, it's the amount of money that is wasted. Silly liberals.
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

gee....

here are the 1st three articles that came up when I used "google". Its a website search engine that uses words you type to find websites that might conatin information that could be useful to the user.

uggggghhhhhhhh.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/25/us/25calif.html

July 2009 Budget Package

July 24, 2009 - California Budget Crisis - Resolved, For Now
  11. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Thanks for those articles DATED LAST JULY 2009!

Here, for your reading pleasure, is an article from just a few days ago:

Stop looking to feds to cure California's budget crisis

Before you start calling people stupid, maybe you should check your facts, you know, so you don't end up looking completely stupid yourself.
  12. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Let me add:

Where have all those tax raises gotten your state? Answer: Into a fiscal mess and financial failure.

Have fun, Oregon. Witness your future.
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Huh? you are citing an article that is talking about state taxes vs what the feds deliver to the state?

YOU claimed California didnt have a balanced budget. I showed you the last budget passed. You somehow point to an article about federal tax reimbursment?

back on track...

This budget gap yearly occurance in California. Prop 13 is the cause of lack of revenue for our state. We turned to all of the conservative mantras to balance it. Oregon went the other way.

For all your kicking and screaming, you'd better hope thsi experiment works in Cali...we are the worlds 8th largest economy, now operating on a conservative budget.
  14. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

No, the problem is not Prop. 13 and lack of revenue - California is already overtaxed as it is - the problem is the spending. Overspending is the source of your problem.

Why do you think so many business and citizens are leaving California? Because the taxes s*ck and makes life unbearable because the cost of living is not worth it.
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

What Buisness leaving ?

Apple? Nope
    Disney? Nope
    Sun? Nope
    Oracle? Nope
    Chevron? Nope
    HP? Nope
    Cisco? Nope
    GAP? Nope
    Direct TV? Nope
    Google? Nope
    Hilton? Nope
    Yahoo? Nope
    Ebay? Nope

wow....for such an overtaxed (in your opinion) state....its crazy that we are able to be the home of so many companies ....

J$,

Do you live here? (By Here I mean Cali)
  16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Intestate Bakeries? Yup
    Custom Stamping? Yup
    Metalist International, Inc? Yup
    Fidelity National Financial? Yup
    Buck Knives? Yup
    Toyota? Yup
    Aircraft Seal & Gasket? Yup
    Black Diamond? Yup

Ain't google a *****?
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

hahahahah!

you don't know how funny you are.....YES google is a B!TCCCH!

Where do I start?

Lets go with FNF first.
    =====================================================
    Fidelity National Financial to Move Its Headquarters to Jacksonville, Fla.
    Article: Fidelity National Financial to Move Its Headquarters to Jacksonville, Fla. - Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News | HighBeam Research - FREE trial

NOTE: 2003
    ======================================================
    BuckKNives
    Buck Knives moving to northern Idaho town
    Buck Knives moving to northern Idaho town | Deseret News (Salt Lake City) Newspaper | Find Articles at BNET
    Cheaper workers compensation payments, lower labor costs and less expensive electricity bills are luring the famed sport and utility knife manufacturer Buck Knives Inc. from California to Idaho.

Buck said he sometimes gets disgruntled letters from customers asking why their knife has a "made in Taiwan" sticker. But he said that over the years it has been necessary to shift some production to Asia to keep manufacturing the $19.95 and $25.95 knives demanded by retailers such as Wal-Mart.

Buck Knives anticipates $34 million in sales this year.

NOTE: The article is from 2004
    ===============================================================
    Metalist INTL.
    Welcome to Metalist International

No mention of California at all on the website or in its History statement.
    ===============================================================

Looks as if NONE of these companies left becuase of the current budget crisis in CA. And the one that seems to have done so on some scale was making most of its product (85%) in Taiwan.

yeah.....

google is a *****HH....but is also still in CALIFORNIA!
  18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +193 / 3 / -10

Ah....HELLO Holy One! As I'm sure you know, Oregon is one of the bastions of "Granola-Head" liberals in the nation...you do know this, right?

So this was actually expected and not a sign or a message...just expected.

Oregon....home of Nike and on-site work playgrounds.

19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

so?

Is California full of Loony Liberal pinheads too? I thought we were?

Funny too.....Isnt Mass also full of Blue liberals? They just elected a TeaBagger...

be careful when making generalizations
  20. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Dems are retiring and refusing to run all over the country this says it all. Biden's kid won't even run in Delaware..... :singing: