Welcome to PatsFans.com

The opportunism of selective ideology

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 15 / -12

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan (February 12, 2009) - Gregg Was Pwned

Andrew Sullivan: "I have to say even I am a little taken aback by the force of the Republican assault. Even in a downturn as swift and alarming as this one, even after an election that clearly favored one approach over another, even after the most conciliatory efforts by an incoming president in memory, these people have gone to war against the president. The president should stay cool. The rest of us should realize what motivates the GOP: the opportunism of selective ideology."

Andrew Sullivan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sullivan is known for his distinctive personal-political identity. He is gay, and considers himself to be a classical libertarian conservative who is often at odds with other conservatives in the U.S.

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +606 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

Well a lot of people are taken aback by the force of the Democrats thinking they can do whatever they like. Obama isn't exactly governing like he ran - he's wanting to increase the deficit, play partisanship, hire guys of questioable pasts. I wasn't a fan of Obama but I am very disappointed in how bad he has been. Winning the election doesn't mean you get to do anything you want and calling a vote "bi-partisan" when you get 3 Republican voted in the House and Senate combined is a complete and utter joke. Enjoy your win and enjoy your party's spending spree - but don't suggest the Republicans are somehow misusing whatever power they have left when it's the Democrats who can't control themselves and behave like adults.

BTW - 53% to 46% may give a nice electoral win but it still shows a centrist country - "clearly favored one approach" ??? Hardly, especially when American voters are saying 2-1 there should be more tax cuts and less spending in this bill.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Was a different bit of rationale from people like you when the dunce and his lemmings were doing it much more blatantly (and with much more deadly results) 4-8 years ago...

4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +606 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

You won't find a lot of support for me for Bush since 2003 - and when he declared "I've earned some political capital and I'm going to use it" I didn't like that either.

Comparing Obama to Bush is a silly sport, though, considering Obama was supposed to be a new age President and has turned out to be nothing but a partisan hack.

5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Yes yes... round and round you go, desperately trying to distance yourself from the criminal cabal that just left... meanwhile, you'll defend the vast majority of Boy George's foreign and domestic policy to the death...

Look up the term cognitive dissonance...

Who's comparing them nearly as transparently as you? You can throw the lazy term "partisan hack" out there all you like. No one's buying it.

He's appointed Con men, he's kept your party's unabashed rendition ambitions, he still coddles to the Fed, he voted in FISA, he's not really withdrawing from your party's little privatized war... Heck, he's even favoring faith-based intitiatives... I'd say he's reached across the isle exponentially more than the meathead who just left... Nice try...

6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +606 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

I'm not going to compare him to Bush but if you think Obama is reaching across the isle . . . :disagreement: :eek:

7. Patters

Ratings:
    +359 / 15 / -12

By most measures he has made an effort to reach out, and even many of his Republican critics acknowledge that. But, there's been almost no reciprocation on the part of the Republicans. Reciprocation doesn't necessarily mean backing Obama, but means playing a role in making the discourse more civil.

8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +606 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

Believe what you want but I think you're full of it. There's been no reciprocation because the Barack and Nancy show is running solo and doing it behind closed doors. They won, great. But let's not pretend this is new politics, bi partisan politics or politics the way the people want - it's the same old crap.

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +359 / 15 / -12

I think Obama has made a real effort, and I condemn him for it because of attitudes like yours. It's not worth making overtures to the right. They have a bullying mentality, a pack mentality. They are a gang.

10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +606 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

Obama wants Republicans to join him - as long as they do exactly what he wants. If he were acting the way you describe he'd have called a halt to Barack and Nancy's Spending Spree and worked with Republicans on an actual bi-partisan bill instead of finding three RINOs and ramming it through. The Republicans had alternate stimulus bills and they weren't even heard from, meanwhile Obama accused Republicans of wanting to do nothing in his press conference. His is a deceitful liar. But he speaks well :rolleyes:

11. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Let us always remember that no matter how sincere a president may be -- and I believe Barack has made a pretty good effort to be open in his agenda -- there are those hard-ball types behind the scenes, be they Rove or Rahm Emmanual, who essentially distrust all opposition and follow the Machiavellian model.

The way politics is done is broken. There is way too much separation and distance between the two big parties. Almost an unbridgeable divide. I believe Obama is _trying_ to make things better, but the system is filled with mine fields of insistence on private agendas, and he is seeing that up front and personal now. We truly need reconciliation and cooperation now, more than ever.

//

12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +606 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

No he isn't. If he were he would have halted the Spending Bill when it got ZERO Republican votes in the House and sought a real bi-partisan bill. If he were he wouldn't have accused Republicans of wanting to "do nothing" in a press conference when he knew perfectly well the Republicans had proposed two stimulus bills themselves. Obama is a continuation of the problem, he's part of the problem - albeit with more charisma than we're used to.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  13. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Hm-m-m. More style than substance, then? I'll have to watch more closely. I did hear his complaint about Repubs "doing nothing", and that did grate the nerves; not in the spirit of bi-partisanship.

I'll keep watching.

We need a "non-partisan" viewpoint now, something is good for ALL, not just left wing or right wing.

//

14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +606 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

It's not only "not in the spirit of bi-partisanship" - it's a flat out lie :

House Republicans Push Counter-Proposal on Stimulus - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com

"Far from rolling over, House Republican leaders are trying to win concessions from President Obama over the massive economic stimulus package and have proffered a bill of their own to put on the negotiating table."

You're a liar, Obama, a big, fat, stinking liar.

15. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +731 / 11 / -7

Hmmm. There are two possibilities:

1) The Republicans, newly finding themselves in the opposition, have decided to demand exactly the right number and type of concessions from Obama/the Dems, the bettter to all play fair, or

2) The great majority of Republicans never were going to vote for this bill.

So what we have is two sides that did not meet pointing fingers at one another and saying "you didn't compromise."

BFan, you're destined to be disappointed for eight years. Obama wasn't your candidate, and he will not morph into your candidate.

From my point of view, he bent over backwards to maintain a civil tone and to compromise where he felt he could.

The GOP wanted to be able to vote against this bill, and still have it pass -- because otherwise they get blamed.

PFnV

16. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Whatever... it's been conveyed that the man has reached across the isle, and he has... period.

It's clear you're just going to dismiss anything anyway, no matter how repression-party-friendly his decisions may ever be ... So, yes, ok, ... you're programmed to hate the black progressive in charge... we get it...

I have zero doubt that you're the kind of dude who was cheering for the guys in the pick-up and the end of Easy Rider...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Here, Here....

Kinda Big of our president to reach to republican party first peeps. He is giving them a seat at his mandate. They are too dumb to understand, so step aside. There is a nation to mend.

18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +606 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

He gets 3 Republicans, enough to overpower it through, then lies in his press conference about Republicans (as mentioned above). That is not reaching across the aisle.

19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +606 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

He would never be my candidate but I was hoping he'd be better than he has been. Just like you guys didn't like Bush when he was elected, and never would, but I imagine on inauguration day you thought he would be better than he ended up being. For me Clinton ended up being better than I expected although he never was "my candidate". But Obama so far is equal to Bush for you - not my candidate but even with that a worse President than I expected when I voted against him.

20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 7 / -2

That's the far left's MO though. They support all kinds, as long as those kinds do like they do.