PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The only true sin was the video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fixit

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
This amuses me. Every team in the league steals signs. In fact, it's not against the rules to steal signs any other way but taping them. But the Pats were stupid enough to tape it, and now they're "cheaters?"

Give unto me a break. That's so friggin' inconsistent I can't see straight.

Last edited:
Re: The only true sin was the video.

Yep. Stealing signs is legal. Which is why the penalty should not be that bad - not saying it won't be bad but it shouldn't be.

Remember the saying "give them an inch and they'll take a mile"? The league just gave the Jets, Chargers and Colts fans everywhere an inch.

All I want to hear from Goodell is an explanation of how we gained an advantage or changed the outcome of the game in question. If he does come up with something incriminating, then we do deserve to be punished. But so far he seems to be ready to hand down a punishment based on THE PATRIOTS CHEATED. If all we did was break a league policy that has no real meaning, taking away draft picks is a ludicrously unbalanced punishment.

Last edited:

I can't wait for Game 2 with the Jets so all doubt about the gap between the two teams can be thoroughly eliminated.

Remember the saying "give them an inch and they'll take a mile"? The league just gave the Jets, Chargers and Colts fans everywhere an inch.

If anything, it was NE that took the mile. The league turns a blind eye on the stealing of the signs, but NE was just too blatant to ignore.

If anything, it was NE that took the mile. The league turns a blind eye on the stealing of the signs, but NE was just too blatant to ignore.

Very true, very disappointing.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=60400

I wanted to make the same point in this thread - but it can't be emphasized enough.

All the trolls coming here don't seem to understand - and should pay attention to before they get overly righteous- is as odd as it sounds, stealing signs is legal.

Using a recording device is illegal - for whatever the reason.

In my mind stealing signs SHOULD be illegal - but its not.

Therefore I don't think anyone can accuse the Patriots of cheating... just breaking a rule.

This has been the BEST post Ive read all day-Excellent points
and true.....Those Colt,Bronco,SD fans love this.

They're all gonna get smoked.

Coach B is the master!

All I want to hear from Goodell is an explanation of how we gained an advantage or changed the outcome of the game in question. If he does come up with something incriminating, then we do deserve to be punished. But so far he seems to be ready to hand down a punishment based on THE PATRIOTS CHEATED. If all we did was break a league policy that has no real meaning, taking away draft picks is a ludicrously unbalanced punishment.

While I think that in principle you are right.....Goodell is now on a power trip after handing down a heavy sentence to Pacman.........don't expect him to look the other way on this one.......That and the fact that guys like Polian.....Snyder.....Jets and Chargers owners/coaches etc will be up his a## as well to make sure that the Pats get a maximum penalty for committing a crime that they ALL ARE COMMITTING!!!! This is the most ironic thing about all of this........First of all, just getting a signal means NOTHING......because they CHANGE THE SIGNALS repeatedly throughout the game!!! One former DC was interviewed today and didn't think it was any big deal (apologize didn't catch his name but he was on ESPN radio).....and he said that they started color coding the signals that they thought were getting caught onto.....and then change them accordingly....or something to that effect.....Heck....defensive players are picking up signals every game at the LINE OF SCRIMMAGE........after seeing it on film or after several plays.....then the DC will change it up.........They all do this stuff......I guess that is what is so annoying about all of this..........and the Pats are being crucified over it....

While I think that in principle you are right.....Goodell is now on a power trip after handing down a heavy sentence to Pacman.........don't expect him to look the other way on this one.......That and the fact that guys like Polian.....Snyder.....Jets and Chargers owners/coaches etc will be up his a## as well to make sure that the Pats get a maximum penalty for committing a crime that they ALL ARE COMMITTING!!!! This is the most ironic thing about all of this........First of all, just getting a signal means NOTHING......because they CHANGE THE SIGNALS repeatedly throughout the game!!! One former DC was interviewed today and didn't think it was any big deal (apologize didn't catch his name but he was on ESPN radio).....and he said that they started color coding the signals that they thought were getting caught onto.....and then change them accordingly....or something to that effect.....Heck....defensive players are picking up signals every game at the LINE OF SCRIMMAGE........after seeing it on film or after several plays.....then the DC will change it up.........They all do this stuff......I guess that is what is so annoying about all of this..........and the Pats are being crucified over it....

The funny thing is I think that stealing signals SHOULD be against the rules.

But, knowing they can't enforce it they allow it so that every team is equal.

So this has all been an education to me - what I thought would be considered cheating is not cheating... and what strikes me as a slightly strange rule about recording the game, seems to be getting blown WAY out of context by the fans and possibly the Commissioner's office.

The only true sin was Belichick being DUMB enough to brazenly do something that he was made aware that others were aware that he was doing. Belichick KNEW he was suspected of taping signs, the Patriots were CAUGHT, the Patriots were WARNED and he not only continued to videotape signs but also do it in a manner that allowed him to get caught. Incredibly stupid. Incredibly irresponsible. I've lost all respect for Belichick. I thought the Rodney saga was bad but this is much worse. I don't even care if Belichick steps down, is fired, etc. His utter stupidity is unacceptable and unforgivable. I just hope this doesn't cost the Pats any first day picks.

This amuses me. Every team in the league steals signs. In fact, it's not against the rules to steal signs any other way but taping them. But the Pats were stupid enough to tape it, and now they're "cheaters?"

Give unto me a break. That's so friggin' inconsistent I can't see straight.

You are not getting it. There's a reason it's illegal. When you videotape the signals it allows you to play back the signals to groups of people and all the coaches to watch together as a group at halftime and decode the signals. It's much harder to decode signals by watching visually when the coaches are preoccupied with running the game.

Last edited:
You are not getting it. There's a reason it's illegal. When you videotape the signals it allows you to play back the signals to groups of people and all the coaches to watch together as a group at halftime and decode the signals.

You mean like with photographs?

As far as the giant movie-watching party you're talking about, halftime is twelve minutes long.

You mean like with photographs?

As far as the giant movie-watching party you're talking about, halftime is twelve minutes long.

So you are saying the videotape provides no advantage over visual observation? Yeah, that's why they did it knowing it was against the rules and there would be hell to pay if caught. It served a big purpose or they would have never taken that risk....well, unless they are complete morons. So pick one:

1. It provided a big advantage.
2. The Pats are complete morons for doing something that gave them no real advantage but would incur a stiff penalty if discovered.

You guys are really in denial. What would you be saying if the story was that the Colts used this method to make their second half comeback last year? This is a serious infraction and with a tough Commissioner it may cost the Patriots organization a bundle of money or draft picks, or both. I'm not a Colts fan (just so you don't think that, I'm just making that example.

I feel bad for the fans of the Patriots because I know it hurts to find out your team has been cheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots