Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Only Real Race

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, May 19, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Interesting that people here are touting primary victories - which really don't tell any story at all, and ignoring the only real race that took place.

This was the only race in the country yesterday where a Democrat faced off against a Republican and the results were clear.

In Pennsylvania, in spite of glowing endorsements for Republican candidate Tim Burns by Sean Hannity, Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum and Dana Perino, Mark Critz, the dreaded Democrat, won.

For all of their bluster about building a national wave this year, including RNC Chairman Michael Steele's guarantee of victory for Tim Burns, Republican policies were once again rejected when it came time to face the voters.

Can anyone say, "bellwether?"
  2. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Not as stunning as it appears though I'm relying on the talking heads on MSNBC this morning. I haven't really followed that race. They pointed out that the Dem was an anti-Washington and anti Obama care candidate and in that white, blue collar area it made sence that he was the only kind of democrat that could win...........I hope I have my points straight because I have to run to work now. Maybe it was all spin? If i'm wrong I'll admit it:p
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +125 / 7 / -13

Not suprising when you look at the driver for turnout in PA the Senate primary with Specter and Sestak. They should run Burns next Nov and we'll see what happens. As pointed out the dem ran as far away from Obama as he could.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

Our Golden Tongued Prince, Beautiful Barack, is he actually losing his Groupies, he sort of got his a$s kicked didn't he?

News
    WASHINGTON - Tuesday's balloting is a fresh reminder of what all the combatants have understood for months: It's a lousy year to be a Democrat, an incumbent or President Obama.

At the very least, Democratic majorities in the Senate and House will shrink significantly this November.
    Read more: Sen. Arlen Specter's primary loss continues bad 2010 for President Obama, Democrats
  5. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This was Murtha's seat... I'd think an upset would be big like Kennedy but a Dem win isn't so much of a big win.
  6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Let me see if I understand you... a seat that was held by Murtha for over 30 years was passed to his aide in a special election where he got all the sympathy vote the Widow Murtha could provide. In a district that is 2-to-1 democrat, he won 53% to 45% while campaigning heavily on a pro-life, pro-gun platform.

And you want to see this as some sort of major victory for the left? :rofl: :rofl:
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Would you see it as a victory for Tim Burns, Sean Hannity, Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich and the rest of The Tea Party or Republicans, instead?

If they really had a statement to make, if they really had all the support of the "Real Americans" that they claim to have, they would have won it, wouldn't they? Seeing as how there is a major backlash against current politicians, of which Mark Crist is, and of which Jack Murtha surely was, what good would his widow's support have done in the face of True American distrust and distaste of all currently seated politicians?

You can spin it any way you want - Crist won and The Republican/Tea Party candidate lost. Use any excuse you want - the fact that Crist is a conservative leaning Democrat means nothing in the face of the far right leanings of The Tea Party and the Republican running against him other than to prove that America's just not willing to go that far right.

If there's a "middle ground" to be met and Independents to be wooed before the November election, which party do you think will be more elastic and more likely to make the adjustment/compromise?
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

The only news would have been if the guy lost. 2-1 Dem, in a district that relies heavily on the massive amounts of pork Murtha brought them. Who better to continue the gravy train, than Murtha's own man. The good news, is that another incumbent is gone.
  9. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And, as already pointed out, the guy ran ANTI-Obama.

So 100% of the vote was ANTI-Obama.
  10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't see last night as a victory or a defeat for either side. It was overwhelmingly just primaries that were voted on.
    And a couple months ago, the Republican candidate won Ted Kennedy's seat in the single most liberal state in the union. Of those two races, I think the Republicans won the more important one, don't you?
    Obviously the Republicans are in a better position to woo the middle ground, because they aren't tied to any unpopular national agenda or figure. Being the party out of power has tremendous advantages, and I sure wouldn't want to be a democrat in a moderate district up for re-election this year.
  11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Probably depends on which state you live in.....but, that being what it is, I think Scott Brown will probably be more allied with the liberals in congress than Crist will - so yeah, I'll give you that it just might be "the more important one." :)

But they are tied to many unpopular stances on certain issues.

It's a race, yanno? Someone will win and someone will lose. Some will be Republicans and some will be Democrats. I don't see it being a landslide win for either side - especially since people are extremely fickle and depending on what sort of events take place between now and November almost anything can change overnight - and probably will.
  12. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +328 / 6 / -7

That is...err...certainly some unimpeachable logic you have deployed there.
  13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's a curious statement considering the very guy you are talking about in this thread you started won a platform that was pro-gun, pro-life and anti-Obama.
    Unlike a few cowards on this board (who shall remain nameless and no I am not talking about you) I am not afraid to give a prediction: Republicans will pick up a total of 25-30 seats in both chambers (which will result in a 50-60 seat swing), which is a very significant number, but not enough to give them a majority.

And my other prediction is that this forum's liberals will be all over themselves talking about how great of a victory it was that they lost "only" 30 seats or so. Essentially they are setting the bar so obscenely low so that they can go bonkers when they clear it.
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

If you don't make a prediction you're a coward? OK then, I better make one cuz I don't want anyone to think you have more balls than me...here goes...

Three hundred thousand years from now, Earth's population will be 500 trillion people and none of them will have nostrils or body hair. We will live in vertical stacks that rise above a concrete-skinned, waterless planet and the Republicans will have a slim majority in the House and the Dems will have a slim lead in the Senate. The President will be a limbless hermaphrodite with a four-foot diameter head and a tail and people will wonder if he is really human but they are too busy worrying about religion.

BANK ON IT!
  15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No no no... I don't mean to imply if you don't have a prediction then you're a coward. My comments were directed more towards others who decide they are too chicken to make a prediction but they have no problem sitting back and criticizing those who do. They know who they are.
    Well, I am sure he (it?) won't have to produce a birth certificate demonstrating his naturalization.
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Oh.
    Well, that's very different...never mind.
  17. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

LMAO that was awesome.