Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Only Potential Savior for the Republican Party

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Apr 29, 2009.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

Does Rush agree??? He has said he would anoint the next presidential candidate of the right...

I thought Bobby Jindal was the heir apparent??
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +395 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Rush can think what he wants but you are overly gullible if you buy it - check out what Rush thought about McCain.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Ron Paul resonates even less with people of color than Bush or McCain. Ron Paul would not resonate with Christian conservatives. Ron Paul has a nasally voice and a scrawny body, and while I don't think its right to judge a person by those things, you can bet that many people will do just that. If you're looking for a libertarian who will pick up votes from the Democrats, you have to find someone whose message resonates with people of color, because some Christians would prefer the Democratic Party's libertarian morality to the even more libertarian views of Ron Paul. Also, that racist newsletter he put out is very troubling, except to his apologists (and racists, of course).
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  5. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

What about his son? You didn't watch the video.
  6. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He needs to win reelection first before he can think about taking politics to the national level. His name is getting recognized around the country but he's still got to secure his future with reelection first.
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

With that thought doesn't Rand Paul have to win an election prior to being considered as the Potential Savior of the Republican Party???
  8. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Libertarianism is NOT the answer.

Take that to the bank.

//
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

Mr Fog Doth Spaketh, prepare for another 130 thread comments about his beliefs... "Oh Lookee me, Rev. Moon doth not agree with this.. therefore I will defend it and take not quarter, even though no one will agree with me.. it is about meeeeeeeeeeeee"
  10. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Rand Paul huh.... I wonder who he was named after?

Anyway, I think that a more libertarian-minded candidate would likely resonate with a lot of (R)s or potential (R) supporters, but it would be met with resistance from the Christian right most likely. But I think most would prefer a more libertarian leaning candidate than an authoritarian one.
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I didn't watch the whole thing. I assumed, since he was talking about his dad, that's who you were referring to. But, are you serious? Rand Paul? What do you like about him? His respect for Jim Bunning? His support for gun owners? His broad defense of the Republican platform? Who do you think a guy like him will attract that would favor the Republicans? And Rand Paul-Mitt Romney? Do you think either one of them has the personal skills or experience (or name, for that matter) to connect with a broader range of people?
  12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Are there any McNally's in the family?
  13. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Haha very good. I'm sure it's Doc Brown at the end of Back to the Future III. I picture Ron Paul standing in a flying train, introducting his kids: "This is my daughter, Ayn, and my son, Rand."
  14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +488 / 2 / -9

Helen Thomas Had Another Orgasm
  15. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

He's not part of the Washington system (he's an eye surgeon), he believes in small government, strong defense but isolationist foreign policy, gets it about PetroDollar and reserve currency status, gets it about blowback and the hypocrisy about the Iraqi war.

He communicates very well.

Would you vote for Rand Paul or Sarah Palin for President?
  16. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Flash back to 1974, immediately post Watergate and the Republicans were in similar straits, with pundits predicting their demise. It took Ronald Reagan, a conservative to revitalize the party. They didn't try to be like the Democrats, but tried to be true to the ideals of smaller government and lower taxes. (I know he oversaw the largest tax increase in history- if you are going to blame him for that give him credit for the growth in the 80's- ). What also saved the Republicans was the Carter administration, a self-proclaimed outsider who promised change with limited foreign policy experience. His administration and his "misery index" of adding up the inflation rate, prime rate and unemployment that he used to attack Jerry Ford came back to bite him in 1980 with Ronald Reagan's famous " are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?" comment.
    My point is that if President Obama gets the economy back on track it will be much tougher for the Republicans to become relevant again. BUT if the economy does not take off and there's double digit inflation when the money supply surges in the wake of all the increased spending and there are other "man-made disasters" (their term, not mine) he could find himself in the same predicament. I am not wishing him to fail but making an observation.The task for the Republicans is finding someone to step up to challenge and lead the party...Ron Paul? Romney? Jindal??? Someone else?? Remember that 3 years ago, no one expected Sen. Barack Obama to be the Democratic standard-bearer.
    Down off the soap box....
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  17. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

If I voted at all, it would probably be for Sarah Palin. Sarah Palin is a woman (which I regard as a plus), has a troubled family (which might inform her attitude towards social policy), and is an opportunist (which might make her flexible on issues when it's in her political interest). That said, she does not seem too bright. Rand Paul seems bright enough, but he has a states rights point of view, which is a threat to all minorities, and which I think enables corruption at the state level, where it's easier to get away with stuff.
  18. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

enables corruption at the state level? that's a good one.........you check out state politics lateley? especially MA,RI???

and how does a corrupt federal government improve things over a corrupt state government ....... it just sends my money further down the corruption pipeline
  19. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

So it's in the best interest of Republicans for the American economy to tank? Got it. The only problem is that 2 years of wishful tanking will probably irreversibly harm America's dollar as international reserve and oil trading currency.
  20. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

That's my point. States are subjects to almost as little scrutiny as corporations. To shift more power to them would enable them to engage in even greater corruption.

The federal government has far more transparency laws than state government and, on top of that, it's subject to great scrutiny by the media, the political opposition, and the interest groups. While it's true some of that money and power gets shifted to the state, I'm simply against giving more economic or legal power to the states than they already have.

I should add that I think every occupation carries the same percent of naturally corrupt people -- whether that occupation is government worker, minister, businessman, union leader, politician, or teacher. I think it's more difficult to be corrupt in government because there's greater transparency.