PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Onion goes too far...lampoons Hills death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll say it again. Satire doesn't have to be funny. There's a difference. The most famous piece of satire ever written was horrific and sad, not funny at all.

Explain how this qualifies as satire.

Explain how this qualifies as satire.

Poking fun at those who think Belichick is a dreck of a human being.

i.e. Belichick thinks of another way to cut a football player. Solomon Wilcots and Esiason say, "I told you so. He's evil and mean."

Does it qualify?

There is crazy **** and then there's just plain ****.
If there are no editors or overseers of some kind,then maybe this so-called corporation consists of about 5 people typing out of a flat in NYC. Either way,if you care so much about that particular point,why don't you just write to them and ask. :rolleyes:

It really seems like you care more than I do. Ya see, for me, I just assumed it was all bogus made up crap that needed no editing. I just can't imagine why they'd have an editor. To fact-check utter lies?

It really seems like you care more than I do. Ya see, for me, I just assumed it was all bogus made up crap that needed no editing. I just can't imagine why they'd have an editor. To fact-check utter lies?

Editing is only "fact-checking"? There's nothing in the Onion that's fact,why would fact-checking even enter into it? They aren't reporters. My point was,somewhere along the line (and I'm sure there IS indeed a line) more than one person saw it and thought it was OK to print. I DO care that obviously more than 1-2 people found that particular piece to be acceptable. Obviously you find it acceptable too. Obviously I do not. Voila,end of story.

Would I have written it or approved it? No. But the fact of the matter is that The Onion crucifies everyone. Have you laughed at stories that made fun of starving kids in Africa, or homicidal housewives, or the actions of our own elected government officials?

This story is no different, with the exception that we feel personally involved. It's perfect fun to laugh at others, but when it hits home then it's not funny.

Objectively, say if it was PURE FICTION that a Pats player was found dead with that headline...pretty funny? Yeah.

Of course, in reality, I'm pretty bummed about the whole deal, particularly since I'm facing with the first mortality of my life soon.

But to get high and mighty and take offense to one thing but laugh at the rest is an example of how cold and callous everyone is, and serves only to personify the perceived inhumanity The Onion is now accused of.

Would I have written it or approved it? No. But the fact of the matter is that The Onion crucifies everyone. Have you laughed at stories that made fun of starving kids in Africa, or homicidal housewives, or the actions of our own elected government officials?

This story is no different, with the exception that we feel personally involved. It's perfect fun to laugh at others, but when it hits home then it's not funny.

Objectively, say if it was PURE FICTION that a Pats player was found dead with that headline...pretty funny? Yeah.

Of course, in reality, I'm pretty bummed about the whole deal, particularly since I'm facing with the first mortality of my life soon.

But to get high and mighty and take offense to one thing but laugh at the rest is an example of how cold and callous everyone is, and serves only to personify the perceived inhumanity The Onion is now accused of.

Satire, and for that matter humor in general, is best when it pokes fun at the powerful. While Hill was certainly physically powerful, he was just another man in the grand scheme. That's why this doesn't work and isn't at all funny. This is no different than poking fun at a child who gets hit by a car and dies. That wouldn't be funny either. I like the Onion, but this was a bad choice. Period.

Last edited:
Hyundai had an ad on that site. I emailed them also. The address is

[email protected]

send 'em a nasty one too.

It just didn't work on a humorous, satirical, or humane level. If it had any of those 3, it would have been much more palatable. As it is now, it's just meanly stupid and sophomoric.

sheesh people, it isn't too hard to just blow stuff off without getting offended. disagree and move on.

maybe you guys should be upset at Marquise for being too dumb to wear a life preserver. Do you guys get all in a huff about the Darwin Awards? the only difference here is that Hill didn't die spectacularly.

sure the Onion's take is questionable, but it's hardly worth the effort of an angry letter.

Satire, and for that matter humor in general, is best when it pokes fun at the powerful. While Hill was certainly physically powerful, he was just another man in the grand scheme. That's why this doesn't work and isn't at all funny. This is no different than poking fun at a child who gets hit by a car and dies. That wouldn't be funny either. I like the Onion, but this was a bad choice. Period.

I absolutely agree.

But...The Onion has never restricted themselves to these guidelines. My point, again, was that selectively being revolted isn't exactly grounds to burn down the castle Frankenstein-style...

I absolutely agree.

But...The Onion has never restricted themselves to these guidelines. My point, again, was that selectively being revolted isn't exactly grounds to burn down the castle Frankenstein-style...

Agreed. That's why I chose not to e-mail. I don't think they would care and complaining to advertisers isn't my style. I'll continue to read the Onion as I always have with the knowledge that sometimes they miss the mark, as they did in this case.

Its a harsh world out there. The Onion people knew the story wasn't very funny even to non-Pats or even to non-Football fans. They published because it was extreme enough to get them some publicity. Most likely some bean counter looked at a flat growth chart and wrote a memo saying that they needed to be 'edgier.'

I guess they don't care. They never answered my email. Whatever, I actually looked at their recent publication and overall it was not of the quality it was a few years ago. So I'm done with their dumb publication.

Eh. The Onion has made fun with war, death, terrorism, and rape before. I was a little taken aback by the specificity of the thing, but on reflection I attribute it too the "this isn't funny, this affects me!" reaction.

Consider two of the other stories I came across while browsing links just now:
"Rodeo Clown Bleeding On The Inside"
"Al Qaeda Also Fed Up With Ground Zero Construction Delays"

Each idea is amusing, but I'm sure there are rodeo and 9/11 websites somewhere that don't find that funny at all.

Eh. The Onion has made fun with war, death, terrorism, and rape before. I was a little taken aback by the specificity of the thing, but on reflection I attribute it too the "this isn't funny, this affects me!" reaction.

Each idea is amusing, but I'm sure there are rodeo and 9/11 websites somewhere that don't find that funny at all.

Exactly. It ain't cool, but, whoops, I laughed at others with them, and now they're laughing at me/us...

doesn't seem so funny then..

I thought I made that point; guess not.

Thanks, u.

This thread astonishes me.

I *did* think the Onion bit was funny. It's clearly a dig a Belichick's image. I couldn't understand why so many people too offense.

So at lunch I said to my wife and father-in-law "Did you hear about Marquise Hill?"

They had, they are avid Pats fans.

Then, to see whether I was just completely missing the point of people's objections to the Onion bit, I related the fact that the Onion gag was controversial and then decribed the picture and the headline.

My father-in-law's reaction was to immediately laugh out loud. Exactly as mine had been when I originally saw it. When I said people thought it was disrespectful of Hill, their unprompted reaction was the same as mine, it's a Belichick joke, what's the big deal.

I honestly believe that many here have lost perspective on this.

This thread astonishes me.

I *did* think the Onion bit was funny. It's clearly a dig a Belichick's image. I couldn't understand why so many people too offense.

So at lunch I said to my wife and father-in-law "Did you hear about Marquise Hill?"

They had, they are avid Pats fans.

Then, to see whether I was just completely missing the point of people's objections to the Onion bit, I related the fact that the Onion gag was controversial and then decribed the picture and the headline.

My father-in-law's reaction was to immediately laugh out loud. Exactly as mine had been when I originally saw it. When I said people thought it was disrespectful of Hill, their unprompted reaction was the same as mine, it's a Belichick joke, what's the big deal.

I honestly believe that many here have lost perspective on this.

You have to admit it's a little cold, but it's true. Well said, man. I'm guessing those most outraged are the same who were willing to sell him, similarly, down the river long ago.

Poor kid, such a shame.

I remember when Howard Sterm was making fun of injured quadraplegic BU hoveky player Travis Roy.....ro me that was LOW low low....this was as bad if not worse...

Major difference, those articles do not ridicule a real person's death within days of its occurence. Those headlines are the kind of surreal silliness that The Onion does well, and do not find humor in the lifeless body of a real human being.

Apparently they took it down..I see nothing of the death of Marquise Hill on there now...Only a pic of the coach with his headset on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down