PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Onion goes too far...lampoons Hills death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying what the Onion did was right, but it's also not out of character. The 9/11 issue was a jawdropper as well.

Regards,
Chris

I don't even bother reading the Onion anymore. They want this kind of reaction out of it's readers.

I'm not saying what the Onion did was right, but it's also not out of character. The 9/11 issue was a jawdropper as well.

Regards,
Chris

I seem to recall their first issue post-9/11 to be extremely well-done and spot-on (given the circumstances). Just the right amount of levity. This is a 180.

I have enjoyed the Onion for many years......this is by far over the edge, wrong and totally disgusting.

I wrote to them and demanded they apologize...........wonder if they will even acknowledge our notes??

I haven't read The Onion in years since it really went down hill and stopped being funny a few years ago so I don't expect much from them, but I cannot believe they would do something like this. That is offensive and not even close to funny.

I sent them this quick email

I sent it to [email protected] , I suggest you guys let them know how you feel about this too.

I did exactly as you did, informed them I would no longer be reading their material. We're talking about a good 24 year old kid here, it's just totally over-the-line, even for The Onion.

It depends. Do you really think they're making fun of Hill's death? I dunno, I think they're making fun of Belichick's rep around the league. I can see it both ways. It's not an occasion for a laugh, but this is satire. Satire isn't supposed to be funny all the time. It can be ironic too. I actually think this one is pro-Patriots... As in, Belichick, that bastard, he's behind this. send it to Solomon Wilcots and Esiason, etc. -- though it is completely callous toward Hill.

Last edited:
Anyone who's registered on the Planet or KFFL should post it there too-flood them with emails.
I'd love to see Jarvis Green,LSU,etc get ahold of that one.
That was just degradation,and what's more pathetic is that it must have passed through some editor before being published.
Nasty.

You really think the Onion has an editorial structure?

Last edited:
It depends. Do you really think they're making fun of Hill's death? I dunno, I think they're making fun of Belichick's rep around the league. I can see it both ways. It's not an occasion for a laugh, but this is satire. Satire isn't supposed to be funny all the time. It can be ironic too. I actually think this one is pro-Patriots... As in, Belichick, that bastard, he's behind this. send it to Solomon Wilcots and Esiason, etc. -- though it is completely callous toward Hill.

A) It's not funny.
B) It's not appropriate. I have a pretty offensive sense of humor, and rarely label anything too over the top, but this is just stupid. If they want to take a shot at Belichick, fine, but this is just a disservice to Marquise Hill, they definitely crossed a line.

You know, the headline itself, while crude and tasteless, I probably coulda just shrugged off and written it off as typical "******* 10 y/o toilet humor". But coupled with that Coast Guard photo just catapulted it into another stratosphere of tasteless for me. I don't even care if it a "general Coast Guard" photo or one from the actual scene. It's what it represents.

Just terrible.

You really think the Onion has an editorial structure?

Considering they have a corporate office in NY along with 2-3 other branches,I'd assume so,yes.

Regards,
Chris

No, the 9/11 issue was wonderfully done, sensitive and spot on. I recall the article about God holding a press conference and demanding no one kill anymore and ending it crying. It had humor and gravity.

This is way over the line and not remotely funny. I almost can't believe this is the Onion that I used to love so much. I am really appalled.

Their 9-11 stuff was brilliant. My favorite story was the "Not knowing what to do, housewife makes American flag cake". It correctly portrayed the general level of stupidity among our country's population.

This on the other hand is sick. I'm not going to e-mail because frankly they won't care. I like the Onion, but as Zippo said, it just doesn't feel right. In fact I consider it offensive.

A) It's not funny.
B) It's not appropriate. I have a pretty offensive sense of humor, and rarely label anything too over the top, but this is just stupid. If they want to take a shot at Belichick, fine, but this is just a disservice to Marquise Hill, they definitely crossed a line.

I'll say it again. Satire doesn't have to be funny. There's a difference. The most famous piece of satire ever written was horrific and sad, not funny at all.

Considering they have a corporate office in NY along with 2-3 other branches,I'd assume so,yes.

What's the editors job? Other than, hey guys, make up some really crazy **** today?

Hey we're talking about it which is probably what they wanted.

Their 9-11 stuff was brilliant. My favorite story was the "Not knowing what to do, housewife makes American flag cake". It correctly portrayed the general level of stupidity among our country's population.

This on the other hand is sick. I'm not going to e-mail because frankly they won't care. I like the Onion, but as Zippo said, it just doesn't feel right. In fact I consider it offensive.

How about, "9-11 hijackers surprised to find selves in hell." I laughed for days at that one.

What's the editors job? Other than, hey guys, make up some really crazy **** today?

There is crazy **** and then there's just plain ****.
If there are no editors or overseers of some kind,then maybe this so-called corporation consists of about 5 people typing out of a flat in NYC. Either way,if you care so much about that particular point,why don't you just write to them and ask. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes