PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Onion goes too far...lampoons Hills death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow....you just don't make jokes about that kind of stuff.

I like the Onion but that was way out of line.

Yikes...pretty tasteless. Then again, it's a site dedicated entirely to satire. Still...I really hope that large bag doesn't hold Marquise's body.

I haven't read The Onion in years since it really went down hill and stopped being funny a few years ago so I don't expect much from them, but I cannot believe they would do something like this. That is offensive and not even close to funny.

I sent them this quick email

Hi,

I just wanted to say that with the "joke" you guys made about the death of Marquise Hill you have shown that you truly cannot comprehend that there is a difference between being edgy and being offensive and classless.

- A former subscriber

I sent it to [email protected] , I suggest you guys let them know how you feel about this too.

Well, its a fine line isn't it - the stuff that some people find humor in.

Personally, im not offended but im not laughing either - looking back i've laughed (almost involuntarily) at stuff I shouldn't and drawn the line at other stuff - its all very particular to the individual.

For the record, I do generally like the Onion.

Doesn't feel right.

Wow. I was expecting it to be something clever and borderline tasteless, but that's just not even funny. And showing a picture of the body being recovered?

Wow.

And I don't offend easily.

This is on par with tshirthell.com coming out with I [picture of airplane] NY t-shirts about a month after 9/11. But that's a site dedicated to tasteless tshirts, so you know what you're getting when you log on.

This is very disappointing and, IMHO, very much unlike them. They are usually a genuinely funny publication making fun of silly things like "PNC Park Threatens to Leave Pittsburgh" or assorted nonsense... to lampoon a real life tragedy is unlike them and rather disappointing...

I'mnot one to be offended, nor am I but...I find it a little ****ed up they would make a joke about someone dieing. Ok, ok, it's a joke site. But they joke about sports, not real life situations. I'd hate for Hill's family to see that.

No, no, no....that is wrong.

I will be sending an email immediately. How tasteless!

OMG. That is extremely offensive and classless. Especially the headline paired with the picture of Hill in the bodybag... I am really, really shocked. Whoever authorized that should be fired.

You would have thought someone involved in the editing department would have asked, "is this funny? Does it go to far?"

The reality in comedy is that when your business is getting as close to the line as you can, sometimes you cross it. It happens, and it's sort of the unfortunately price you pay for edgy comedy. This one, though, seems so substantially over the line that you wonder why anyone would have thought it didn't. It's kind of like the Michael Richards thing. He was shooting for edgy and overshot by a pretty wide margin, to the point where you say, "what was he thinking?" But at least his was spur of the moment. This probably had to go through some layers to get published.

I see I'm not the only one to have thought of this, but I sent an e-mail to the Onion. If a few hundred of us do the same, maybe they'll notice. The address is:

[email protected]

You can also blast them at [email protected].

The more the merrier.

Yikes...pretty tasteless. Then again, it's a site dedicated entirely to satire. Still...I really hope that large bag doesn't hold Marquise's body.

I blew the picture up and it looks more like an equipment bag, not a body bag.
It is inflated and almost as large (vertically) as the guy standing next to it so
I'm pretty sure it's not MH.

I blew the picture up and it looks more like an equipment bag, not a body bag.
It is inflated and almost as large (vertically) as the guy standing next to it so
I'm pretty sure it's not MH.

Yeah it's too round to be a body bag.

RIP MH

Last edited:
Anyone who's registered on the Planet or KFFL should post it there too-flood them with emails.
I'd love to see Jarvis Green,LSU,etc get ahold of that one.
That was just degradation,and what's more pathetic is that it must have passed through some editor before being published.
Nasty.

I won't grace their site anymore..true character coming through

I have emailed The Onion and I encourage you to also send your emails to let them know how you feel about this.

Here is a copy of the body of my email.

Dear The Onion Editors, Staff and Whomever it may concern,

I am writing to you concerning the headline and picture shown on your website here:
http://www.theonion.com/content/from_print/bill_belichick_finding_new

"Bill Belichick finding new and interesting ways to cut players." This caption is paired with a picture of Hill in a bodybag, recently recovered from the Louisiana waters.

I am dismayed that you and your publication would go so low as to make a mockery of a recent tragic incident so fresh in the memory of many Patriot fans as well as the Hill family.
This crosses the line of poking fun, and squarely enters into the realm of tastelessness, insensitivity, and total disregard for the value of human life.
Can you for a moment imagine if you were a member of the Hill family and you saw this? Can you even imagine how that would make you feel?

I can only conclude that only the most miserable of human beings could find any humor value in the death of a young 24 year old man, who apparently died trying to rescue another human being during a jetski accident.

At the very least you owe the Hill family a retraction and an apology. And I can only hope that the person responsible for this grotesque caricature faces some serious discipline.
This article really crossed the line. It was in the territory of the tastelessness that Don Imus displayed when he made racist remarks about the Rutgers womens basketball team.

I hope that you at the The Onion seriously respond to this email and act to quickly remove this tasteless article from the net and/or print. I am certain that this will not be the only email you will be receiving from numerous sports fans whom were also shocked and offended.

If you agree that the article was offensive, insensitive, and went over the line, please let them know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes