PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Ongoing NFLN Anti-Patriots Jihad And Ryan Clark...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The memo sent in 2006 is an amendment to the league's Constitution and Bylaws. We got in trouble for it after the memo was sent. We did it legally in prior years, but after the memo was sent, the decision should have been made to stop the video practices.

No. The memo was not an amendment to the league's Constitution and Bylaws. That has to be voted on by the owners and it wasn't. The memo was sent out by Ray Anderson stating what his belief of the rules were. It was NOT what the rules said.

Also, if you were to take what he said literally, then there would be no All-22 camera footage allowed. And it is allowed..

The memo was sent to warn coaches of the amendment made to the league's constitution and bylaws. Again, what don't you not understand about the memo? It's pretty clear to me.

That's the problem. You are making sh!t up. It was never an amendment. You saying so is BS. It was Ray Anderson's interpretation of the rules. Period. How can I say that? Because Ray Anderson doesn't have the ability to make Amendments to the league constitution and bylaws. Only the owners have that ability. And they never voted on that change.

The memo sent in 2006 is an amendment to the league's Constitution and Bylaws. We got in trouble for it after the memo was sent. We did it legally in prior years, but after the memo was sent, the decision should have been made to stop the video practices.

Rules should be changed by the Competition Commitee. Goodell should not have the power change rules through a memo.

Clarks comments are reminiscent of the old Spy vs. Spy stuff in mad magazine, where at the end the two spies would wander off snickering and whispering..

In this case Marshal Faulk and now Ryan Clark.. what a bunch of tools..

What I find most ridiculous is the fact that if you look at the logistics of it all, what they accuse the Patriots of is impossible. There is no way to take game film of the first half, take the game action and line it up with the tapes of defensive signals, figure out which ones are real and which are decoy, and come up with an alternative game plan all in the 12 minutes of half time. And if you buy into the whole spygate argument, that means that you believe that whoever is calling plays for the offense is waiting to see the defensive signals before calling an offensive play. I think OC's know what they are calling 2 or 3 plays ahead of time depending on how previous plays went.

Whenever I get into a "discussion" with someone about Spygate, I ask them to explain how that works. If they are from Pittsburgh, I ask them how Big Ben can get a TD by landing on the 1 yard line. It has happened in both SBs he was in, but at least they reversed it on the last one.

Rules should be changed by the Competition Commitee. Goodell should not have the power change rules through a memo.

That's the WHOLE POINT. Goodell CAN'T make up rule changes on his own. The owners have to vote them in and it takes 24 to pass or enact ANY new or changed rule.

Kraft should have fought the punishment. The famous memo was not only incorrect, it was meaningless.

Last edited:
That's the WHOLE POINT. Goodell CAN'T make up rule changes on his own. The owners have to vote them in and it takes 24 to pass or enact ANY new or changed rule.

That is what I've been saying from the beginning. Goodell has been abusing his power from the beginning. The sooner we get a new commisioner the better.

What I find most ridiculous is the fact that if you look at the logistics of it all, what they accuse the Patriots of is impossible. There is no way to take game film of the first half, take the game action and line it up with the tapes of defensive signals, figure out which ones are real and which are decoy, and come up with an alternative game plan all in the 12 minutes of half time. And if you buy into the whole spygate argument, that means that you believe that whoever is calling plays for the offense is waiting to see the defensive signals before calling an offensive play. I think OC's know what they are calling 2 or 3 plays ahead of time depending on how previous plays went.

Whenever I get into a "discussion" with someone about Spygate, I ask them to explain how that works. If they are from Pittsburgh, I ask them how Big Ben can get a TD by landing on the 1 yard line. It has happened in both SBs he was in, but at least they reversed it on the last one.

I'm glad you brought that up, because the logistics of it and how grown, allegedly educated individuals can buy into the idea that recording 4 people giving hand signals to the defense ( 3 of which are decoys, which, honestly, doesn't that alone completely validate that sign stealing was a league wide issue, not limited to one team, as the media likes to portray?), then being able to figure out who is the real signaler, and who is the decoy in 15min of halftime, AND decifer what the signals mean. All that is an incredible stretch to come to that conclusion, even if you have a Russel Crow level "beautiful mind" like genius on your staff (Like Ernie Adams, I suppose).

Plus, staying on that theme, another twist to this twisted logic, that I NEVER heard even entertained as a possibility, is lets say for the sake of arguement, that the Patriots do indeed have the magic formula for breaking down signals in 15min, and now know that when Coach X crosses his arms, it's Cover 2. Now, the 2nd half starts, and the Patriots are ready, they got all them there signals down pat.........What if the other team switched up their signals? What if they changed the decoy? Is it still and advantage, or a sizable DIS-ADVANTAGE? This doesn't even have to be limited to same game, it could be next time the 2 teams play each other. If the other team, who already goes through the process of having dummy signal callers changes there signals, not only are they doing their due dilligence that they should be doing, but it would also put the Patriots at a competetive disadvantage since the Patriots allegedly base there whole defensive play calling on deciphered signals from a previous period of time.

The speculation thats allowed to run rampart, and unchallenged is staggering considering how illogical, and impractical the actual implementation of the alleged practice could be.

Isn't the Steelers defense one of the hardest to play. But, an easy one to prepare. They're gonna blitz. Why do you have to steal their signals?

I'm glad you brought that up, because the logistics of it and how grown, allegedly educated individuals can buy into the idea that recording 4 people giving hand signals to the defense ( 3 of which are decoys, which, honestly, doesn't that alone completely validate that sign stealing was a league wide issue, not limited to one team, as the media likes to portray?), then being able to figure out who is the real signaler, and who is the decoy in 15min of halftime, AND decifer what the signals mean. All that is an incredible stretch to come to that conclusion, even if you have a Russel Crow level "beautiful mind" like genius on your staff (Like Ernie Adams, I suppose).

Plus, staying on that theme, another twist to this twisted logic, that I NEVER heard even entertained as a possibility, is lets say for the sake of arguement, that the Patriots do indeed have the magic formula for breaking down signals in 15min, and now know that when Coach X crosses his arms, it's Cover 2. Now, the 2nd half starts, and the Patriots are ready, they got all them there signals down pat.........What if the other team switched up their signals? What if they changed the decoy? Is it still and advantage, or a sizable DIS-ADVANTAGE? This doesn't even have to be limited to same game, it could be next time the 2 teams play each other. If the other team, who already goes through the process of having dummy signal callers changes there signals, not only are they doing their due dilligence that they should be doing, but it would also put the Patriots at a competetive disadvantage since the Patriots allegedly base there whole defensive play calling on deciphered signals from a previous period of time.

The speculation thats allowed to run rampart, and unchallenged is staggering considering how illogical, and impractical the actual implementation of the alleged practice could be.

THANK YOU. I have been saying this from the beginning. This whole Spygate thing was blown way out of proportion from the beginning. I remember when this whole thing first came out Trey Wingo on ESPN just came right out and said "The Patriots are taking these tapes so they can study them and read the other teams signals in the second half." I am paraphrasing, but he pretty much said this without any proof to back up his statement. This has proven to be false, yet Wingo never made a retraction or correction. He was never even asked to justify that statement. Where is the journalistic integrity? Whoops! I forgot. It's ESPN.

The only thing "Trey Wingo" should mean to sports is that it is a half order for appetizers at a spanish sports bar.

It's easy to prove Clark wrong because of the Patriots tape footage (that Glazer somehow got a hold of -- yeah, right, like the NFL didn't give it to him-- on Fox).

The footage showed the camera going directly from the signal callers to the down and distance/play clock board. No game footage shown at all. This proves that the film was used AFTER games, not during games. Otherwise there'd be absolutely no reason to sync up the signals with the scoreboard. It would be much faster to go from signals to defense on the field if you intended to decipher the calls at the half.

Clark is just showing, essentially, that he's rather stupid.

That is what I've been saying from the beginning. Goodell has been abusing his power from the beginning. The sooner we get a new commisioner the better.

Good point but the question is why the owners are quiet about it. Now atleast jerry jones and dan snyder are against this tool now I guess :rolleyes:

I hear ya Cap. Don't forget that mensa society called Philadelphia Eagles fans headed by their corrupt leader Senator Specter. Headed to Hershey tonight. Our boys have a state playoff game tonight at Milton Hershey HS. Danville, Pa. We play Holy Ghost Prep.

Good Luck tonight.
As far as Philly fans go, at least with them we have a common enemy: Sewer York teams.

THANK YOU. I have been saying this from the beginning. This whole Spygate thing was blown way out of proportion from the beginning. I remember when this whole thing first came out Trey Wingo on ESPN just came right out and said "The Patriots are taking these tapes so they can study them and read the other teams signals in the second half." I am paraphrasing, but he pretty much said this without any proof to back up his statement. This has proven to be false, yet Wingo never made a retraction or correction. He was never even asked to justify that statement. Where is the journalistic integrity? Whoops! I forgot. It's ESPN.

The only thing "Trey Wingo" should mean to sports is that it is a half order for appetizers at a spanish sports bar.

Bill B, I hate even admitting this, but Spygate ruined my ability to enjoy the media, on all levels. Before Spygate, I knew there was some journalists who slanted their coverage due to relationships with teams and what not, and everybody knows how certain TV stations reveal there political leanings.....But, Spygate was an absolute ratings driven slander machine. Voices of reason, that were sympathetic to us, were hidden. Voices unsympathetic, and downright misleading were given the biggest stage.

You mention NFL Live. Forget the hosts. The guests that they gave air time too, was unbelievable. The people they allowed to spout uninformed information too included Joey Porter, Hines Ward, every player with the biggest axes to grind were given the most air time.

They had a whole hour long special with Matt Walsh's tapes, where the hosts Cris Carter, and Mark Schlerith were blatantly LYING, and SPECULATING on how the tapes were being used, with ZERO!! evidence to back their claims, and it went on for a whole hour UNCHALLENGED. Thats not journalism, thats slander, and it's the reason all Patriot fans are fighting a losing battle on the subject. After all, what sanity can we bring to the population if the national media can't or WON'T bring a balanced perspective on the story?

*As a side note to that point, and how the media knows its screwing the Patriots. During Spygate, I was listening to the Dan Patrick show, and Howie Long was the guest. Dan Patrick introduces the topic to Howie Long in a very negativly misleading tone (shocking I know). But Howie's response was to laugh, and then says to Dan, "Dan, you've been following the NFL for several years now, you know as well as I do that this practice is done in some shape or form by every NFL team, are you really surprised by this?" (I'm praphrasing, mind you). Dan Patrick pauses before he speaks and then says in a low almost embarrased voice. "Yes......I do know that" Then quickly and defiently says "But that doesn't excuse what they did!". That small exchange told me all I needed to know about what they previously know about NFL teams practices, and how selectivly they choose to report it.

That's the problem. You are making sh!t up. It was never an amendment. You saying so is BS. It was Ray Anderson's interpretation of the rules. Period. How can I say that? Because Ray Anderson doesn't have the ability to make Amendments to the league constitution and bylaws. Only the owners have that ability. And they never voted on that change.

My mistake. It wasn't a memo about an amendment. Regardless though, it was a memo from an NFL official warning teams about using video capturing devices capturing offensive and defensive signals from any location accessible by club members. The warning is clear in that memo. If BB thought it contradicted with the NFL's constitution and bylaws, he should have had that clarified to him before continuing to video tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back