PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The One Year Rentals

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
As usual, the patriots have players that are very likely to be here for the year. They will leave, and the team will get compensation in 2017. Posters seem to now accept this reality instead of fussing about us re-signing such players. BTW, some (like Freeny) will be extended. And yes, Belichick prefers to get players through 2016 if he can (Bostic, Williams, Johnson and Coleman). [BTW, Coleman and Johnson will be ERFA's who we will have rights to in 2016]

Obviously, some of these could be extended or re-signed. But, if not, we will move to next year's group.

RB Lewis
WR Martin
DT Hicks
CB Brown
CB Fletcher
LB Fletcher

In some sense, Mayo new deal is really a one-year deal.

Last edited:
If Lewis keeps playing the way he has, I wonder how much he'll be worth at the end of the season?

If Lewis keeps playing the way he has, I wonder how much he'll be worth at the end of the season?

Whatever that amount is, he will likely be worth more to teams not coached by Belichick.

For better or worse, Belichick doesn't pay running backs much. So, the team will be looking for running backs next year. Both Lewis and Blount are UFA's. Bolden and White will be back.

The One Year Rental strategy works hand in glove with the Compensatory Picks strategy. Drafting is an inexact science, like throwing darts in the dark. More picks, more darts. Every free agent that BB converts from a street free agent into an employable NFL player becomes a late round draft pick that next year. Another lotto ticket to draft the next David Givens, Dan Koppen, Julian Edelman.

Lewis has been great, but if he signs with some needy team in the offseason, BB will just dust off another guy, and take the 5th or 6th round compensatory pick in return. I really believe that White could do the job just fine, if Lewis walks.

Martin is another one. If he makes a name for himself this year and gets a good contract in the offseason, that's a win-win-win. Or, if he wants to stay for thin money, that's an option too.

Has anyone noticed how light of a FA class we have going into next year? Basically all the one year rental guys who have either just been brought in or have stepped up recently are our FA's going into next year. Bring back Dion Lewis for sure and after that the rest should not be too expensive. The priority should definitely be locking up the likes of Collins and Hightower next offseason.

Whatever that amount is, he will likely be worth more to teams not coached by Belichick.

For better or worse, Belichick doesn't pay running backs much. So, the team will be looking for running backs next year. Both Lewis and Blount are UFA's. Bolden and White will be back.
I could see Blount signing here at lesser money. He has seen a cluster*$%& in Tampa and the grass wasn't greener in Pittsburgh. Why not stay where you are appreciated, win and still make decent $$$???

And I would be surprised if Dion Lewis didn't offer us a Discount knowing we are the only Team who gave him a legitimate opportunity to show his true talents. It might be in the Patriots best interest to try to extend him NOW! I don't see him trying to break the bank.

The priority should definitely be locking up the likes of Collins and Hightower next offseason.

They are already locked up...at least for another year

Love the rentals. They are usually cheap and productive. And they often sign elsewhere for way too much money and hardly produce as much.

White will stay and Lewis will move on - if Lewis continues to shine, there is no way BB spends top dollar like other coaches tend to do.

Luck up the core : DMc - Gronk - Brady - Edelman - HT - Collins. And decide if Jones is affordable.

I agree. But I have to wonder why Faulk was so integral and important and consistent for so many years where Vereen, Woodhead and maybe Lewis are just set free.

White will stay and Lewis will move on - if Lewis continues to shine, there is no way BB spends top dollar like other coaches tend to do.

I'm not as sold on White as I am on Lewis, but if Lewis has to go, White will certainly do the job well enough. He's a very serviceable Vereen-like replacement.

I'm not as sold on White as I am on Lewis, but if Lewis has to go, White will certainly do the job well enough. He's a very serviceable Vereen-like replacement.

I think Lewis may be a player BB is willing to spend a little money on at the RB position. Woodhead was the last RB we've had who could run and catch at above average levels and Lewis through 3 games I believe has had a better stretch than Woodhead has ever had in his career.

If BB were asked and answered honestly I think he'd tell you it was a mistake to choose Vereen over Woodhead. Lewis gives him a better version of Danny.

And like you said, White is a Vereen replacement, not upgrade. White still hasn't shown he can run the ball, something Vereen also never did in 4 seasons.

I'm not "sold" on White NOR Lewis. I am loving what Lewis has done in September, but time will tell if he can keep the pace. Who knows ? Maybe he's Priest Holmes ! Or maybe he's 2008 Slaton... White can be a cheap alternative if/when.

Hopefully Lewis stays and Brady will get extended thru the 2020 season imo probably next offseason (not the one coming up) or afterwards

Has anyone noticed how light of a FA class we have going into next year? Basically all the one year rental guys who have either just been brought in or have stepped up recently are our FA's going into next year. Bring back Dion Lewis for sure and after that the rest should not be too expensive. The priority should definitely be locking up the likes of Collins and Hightower next offseason.

I guess running backs don't count. In addition to the rentals, we will need to re-sign or replace
BLOUNT
LEWIS
SILIGA
MAYO (not technically a free agent)
WENDELL
KLINE

No, this isn't as imposing as last year's list. Perhaps, that is because Solder has already been extended. Also, Belichick has signed TWO linebackers to play the base if Mayo goes (Freeny and Bostic).

There is plenty of time for Belichick to add or extend players. As of now, we will be looking for two running backs and two corners. We may also be looking for a WR, if we are not willing to pay Amendola.

The One Year Rental strategy works hand in glove with the Compensatory Picks strategy. Drafting is an inexact science, like throwing darts in the dark. More picks, more darts. Every free agent that BB converts from a street free agent into an employable NFL player becomes a late round draft pick that next year. Another lotto ticket to draft the next David Givens, Dan Koppen, Julian Edelman.

Lewis has been great, but if he signs with some needy team in the offseason, BB will just dust off another guy, and take the 5th or 6th round compensatory pick in return. I really believe that White could do the job just fine, if Lewis walks.

Martin is another one. If he makes a name for himself this year and gets a good contract in the offseason, that's a win-win-win. Or, if he wants to stay for thin money, that's an option too.
I agree with your assessment of the compensatory pick strategy. Bill has really milked it for all it's worth over the years. I'm surprised the league hasn't done what they usually do when Bill finds a loophole and close it. I can only assume their must be enough owners who feel its better to encourage teams to let players walk and artificially keep salaries low than take away a rule the Patriots use effectively to their benefit.

The only players I "worry" about are HT/Collins/Jones... The others can be replaced without huge drop offs. I know all those chaps are ok for 2016, but three top guys at the same time could get dicey.

I agree. But I have to wonder why Faulk was so integral and important and consistent for so many years where Vereen, Woodhead and maybe Lewis are just set free.

Perhaps the league was a little slow in recognizing the value of players in that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back