The Official Who's Up & Who's Down Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
up - Zoltan Mesko

down - Alexander
Ninko
McGowan
Wright

I saw McGowan making a lot of tackles out there. How is he "down"?

Ninkovich, I don't know, it's hard for me to see every player on the play unless you slomo it...I thought he had some pass pressure. I thought he was up, WAY UP.

Here's one reason from PFW:

One down note for this group came on Atlanta’s lone touchdown. It appeared that Wheatley was in position to make a tackle, but his own teammate, safety Brandon McGowan, over-pursued the receiver and inadvertently took Wheatley’s legs out from under him.

Read more at: Patriots-Falcons Analysis: Charting the Depth

One more up: Bill O'Brien. That TD run by Sammy Morris on 3rd and long was my favorite playcall of the preseason. It sent me to my happy place.

Up

Hernandez - Nice adjustment on the TD catch.

Taylor - Some strong runs from the old man

Faulk - Well, it's Faulk

Brady - Missed the bomb, but was solid otherwise

Welker - Played and took some hits. Now, off to the ice bath for the little big man

McCourty - Might have gotten away with P.I. on one pass, but looked very comfortable out there and made an excellent read on an early run play

Brace - Welcome back to the ranks of the playing, Mr. Brace, and nice FF.

Down

Larsen - Can't hold the line and can't keep still

Neal - Let's hope that his only stinker this year

Vollmer - Gotta do better than that

McGowan - Terrible work out there

Price - Gotta sack it up on those catch attempts

DEs - If that's what we're going to see all season, there are going to be some very problematic games

BJGE - 7 carries for 12 yards, with a long of 4, following up last week is not the way to nail down a spot on the 53.

General observations/Opinions

Wilfork is carrying too much weight.

Wilhite picking off a ball on 4th down and then dancing about it when the team would have been better served with an incompletion is probably not the sort of thing that will win him a lot of points with this particular coaching staff.

I thought McKenzie had another uneven game. He's not flowing instinctively, he's not as powerful as Spikes, and he's still getting lost in the wash, but the FumRec and a few other nice plays kept him near even with last week in my book.

Connolly had a couple of decent/nice plays, but he missed on a few out there, too. I couldn't really put him in the up or down category, because I think he was the same way last week, but the inconsistency of his game is a very, very bad thing.

The LBs are struggling in pass coverage. That's got to change, in a hurry. Guyton can't play every LB spot on passing downs, so others will need to step up.

Great post.

Up:

Fred Taylor
Aaron Hernandez
Alge Crumpler
Dan Connolly
Gronk

Down:

Ted Larsen
McKenzie
Taylor Price

Larsen i get but Price and McKenzie!?! Price doesn't have the first string to toss him the ball, he is working with backups. Kind of hard to judge him that way.

And Mckenzie played solid. He made a lot of tackles and was in position when the ball came his way even in coverage. Plus the fumble recovery. Don't forget adding up his total minutes this preseason equal about 1 game he has played in almost 2 years. Let the rust come off.

Up...

FOX: Preseason Pats game + national TV = win for me!
TE: All had great games, especially the kids.
Backup offense: Moved the ball pretty well in the 2nd half.

Down...

FOX: Interviews over live action, Joe Buck & Troy Aikman.
My job: Couldn't leave early to catch the 1st half.

Regards,
Chris

Up:
Taylor - He's always had the ability but he'll get injured soon.
Morris - See Taylor
Faulk - all he does is get first downs.
Moss - Still has speed and should've got a flag for pass interference on the under thrown ball by Brady.
McCourty - He had some good solid tackles, but he owned Roddy White at the line of scrimmage on that third down play.
Mesko - It's sure nice to have a punter that can kick it past 20 yards. :D
Chung - He looks good. He's always around the ball.
Arrington - Had a monster hit. He will make the team over Wilhite or Wheatley because he can play special teams.
Herandez - I thought the guy was a WR when he caught his first pass. The guy is going to be a really good player.

Down :
Price - was ready to take a hit rather than catch that first pass that was thrown by Hoyer late in the second quarter.
Tate - Wanted to see more from him.

Last edited:
Chung has really impressed me in the first two games. His game seems to have sped up-probably due to increased experience, knowledge and confidence.

I'm not saying he's Logan Mankins, but I'm seeing some nice plays from Connolly, which makes me feel a little better anyway.

McCourtey looks like a player out there and someone who can step in and contribute right away.

Love the way Arrington plays special teams.

I'm not sure how you can characterize that as a down. If they don't throw him the ball, is that really his fault?

In all fairness, it depends on why they didn't throw him the ball. If he's not getting open, for example, that's on him.

I'm eager to see more of Price, but something tells me he's not a natural pass catcher or athlete. Waste of a 3rd round pick apparently. Kind of sad. Guy from UMass could have been had for nothing.

Ninkovich I'd like to see more of. Pass rushing demon.

Connolly and Warren have outplayed their predecessors.

Hernandez, of course, looks great.

I saw McGowan making a lot of tackles and hitting hard, so I don't see how people say he was screwing up.

In all fairness, it depends on why they didn't throw him the ball. If he's not getting open, for example, that's on him.

Well I guess we'll have to characterize Edelman as a down, as well.

It seemed to me that RBs and TEs were the focus last night, and even so Tate was the Patriots' leading wide receiver.

I would agree that I want to see more throws to Tate; question is, is he already better than Aiken in WR3?

I'm eager to see more of Price, but something tells me he's not a natural pass catcher or athlete. Waste of a 3rd round pick apparently. Kind of sad. Guy from UMass could have been had for nothing.

Ninkovich I'd like to see more of. Pass rushing demon.

Connolly and Warren have outplayed their predecessors.

Hernandez, of course, looks great.

I saw McGowan making a lot of tackles and hitting hard, so I don't see how people say he was screwing up.

A bit early in the day to be drinking, isn't it?

Well I guess we'll have to characterize Edelman as a down, as well.

It seemed to me that RBs and TEs were the focus last night, and even so Tate was the Patriots' leading wide receiver.

I wasn't saying Tate had a bad game. I was just noting that lack of throws isn't necessarily a reason to avoid grading a player down.

I would agree that I want to see more throws to Tate; question is, is he already better than Aiken in WR3?

Yes, although that's not exactly setting the bar high.

Last edited:
What do you disagree with? I'd almost say you should be beaten for insolence, but you'd probably like it.:D

1.) You think Price is "apparently" a waste of a 3rd round pick after two preseason games

2.) You think Ninkovich is a "pass rushing demon" after he got one sack against scrubs

3.) You think Connolly is outplaying Mankins

4.) You think McGowan had a good game

Up: McCourty. Last week with the special teams and this week with the coverage.
Spikes. Solid play.
Murrel. Solid play.

Down: Price. Has he caught a pass yet?
McGowan. Looks slow compared to chung and took a few bad angles.
Wright. They constantly ran wherever he was lined up.
Woods. Offers no pass rush.
Ninko. Couldnt hold the edge tonight.

obviously you did not watch the second half

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back