The Official White Guys Compared to Mike Vrabel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I've mostly kept my pledge to sit out this draft class, but this article showed me one thing hasn't changed:

NFL scouts: a look at the top OLB/DE prospects | National Football Post

12 DE/OLB prospects profiled. 11 black, 1 white. About the lone white player, it naturally says: "He has drawn comparisons to Mike Vrabel." :rolleyes: (None of the black prospects are compared to any NFL players at all.)

I just thought we might want to keep a running tally of these coincidentally melanin-challenged Vrabel clones.

I've mostly kept my pledge to sit out this draft class, but this article showed me one thing hasn't changed:

12 DE/OLB prospects profiled. 11 black, 1 white. About the lone white player, it naturally says: "He has drawn comparisons to Mike Vrabel." :rolleyes: (None of the black prospects are compared to any NFL players at all.)

I just thought we might want to keep a running tally of these coincidentally melanin-challenged Vrabel clones.

hahah is a funny point. has there been a black DE/OLB candidate compared to Vrabel before? now THAT would be some trivia.

Patchick, it's wonderful to see you again. While I very much like your idea regarding Vrabel-like players do you think we should also make note of guys that compare to Wes Welker, I hear Devon Wylie and Dane Sanzenbacher fall into that category;)

To be fair, McClellin is a ton like Vrabel. He's very good in coverage for a pass rusher and has some ILB/OLB versatility as well.

Although, I'd love to point out how Luke Kuechly is the "hard-working, high character" guy, when he also happened to run a 4.5 40, sub-7 3-cone, 38" vert, and do 27 reps. That's just like Ryan Kerrigan, who was also the "hard-working, high character" guy and just happened to be ridiculously athletic.

Also, it's nice to have someone to compare to Mike Vrabel. I don't think we've had one of those since Connor Barwin :lol2:

Last edited:
Patchick, it's wonderful to see you again. While I very much like your idea regarding Vrabel-like players do you think we should also make note of guys that compare to Wes Welker, I hear Devon Wylie and Dane Sanzenbacher fall into that category;)

Definitely! I just tried Googling within nfldraftscout.com for "Welker," and got links to a wide variety of receivers with just one thing in common.

Also, it's nice to have someone to compare to Mike Vrabel. I don't think we've had one of those since Connor Barwin :lol2:

Don't forget, only short-haired white guys are the next Mike Vrabel. The long-haired ones are the next Clay Matthews.

Sort of OT but I feel like if Danny Woodhead were black he would've played division 1 ball and been a 1st/2nd round draft pick.

Jake Bequette!!!

And welcome back, for however long that may be.

Nathan Williams.

Seriously....Glad MV is going to have a chance to work with him next season.

They forgot to profile other Vrabel clones, besides Bequette.

Scott Solomon from Rice had a great combine, yet nobody talks about him.
6'3" 262
10yard split 1.62
Bench 34 reps
Vert 35"
Broad 10'4"
20yard shuttle 4.25
3cone 7.17

He compares very well with Ryan Kerrigan who at the combine had
6'4" 267 10yard 1.61 Bench 31 Vert 33.5 Broad 10'02" Shuttle 4.39 3cone 7.18

Solomon had a very good college career, finishing with 24 sacks, 43.5 TFL, 207 Tackles in 47 games.

Scott Solomon Rice Football Big Hits (Beast Mode) - YouTube

This guy could be a very good pick up for the Pats.

Of course, the opposite is also true. Cam Newton and RGIII are always being compared to Michael Vick and Randall Cunningham. I look forward to someone who really challenges the medias preconceptions: a black pure drop back passer for example or a white 6'4" 4.3 running WR. The media will have no idea how to pigeon hole them.

Well, we already have version 2.0 on our roster, combined with the fact they were both Boilermakers.

As for Welker....we need to identify a real fan favorite....a gritty guy with deceptive speed....perhaps someone with a non-stop motor and a high football IQ -- "heady" even. Really a hard-working guy who gets the most out of his talent....

In related news, Nick Perry is black?

In a nutshell, that's how ignorant I am of the incoming draft class. I hear the name Nick Perry, and I visualize a cross between Jeff Spicoli and the most non-threatening New Kid on the Block.

In related news, Nick Perry is black?

In a nutshell, that's how ignorant I am of the incoming draft class. I hear the name Nick Perry, and I visualize a cross between Jeff Spicoli and the most non-threatening New Kid on the Block.

84227702_display_image.jpg

One often overlooked factor in the Vrabel clone discussion is facial hair, I don't think Perry can pull it off.

539w.jpg

Now look at Ninkovich, that's downright Vrabelesque, he simply doesnt get the respect he deserves!

275px-Rob_Ninkovich_2011.JPG

Sort of OT but I feel like if Danny Woodhead were black he would've played division 1 ball and been a 1st/2nd round draft pick.

Had Woodhead been a first or second round pick, he'd be a monumental bust at this points.

White Men Can't Rush The Passer

9FEB26D44D4A33D4E9F8E9BAAACDD.jpg

1) Well, we already have version 2.0 on our roster, combined with the fact they were both Boilermakers.

2) As for Welker....we need to identify a real fan favorite....a gritty guy with deceptive speed....perhaps someone with a non-stop motor and a high football IQ -- "heady" even. Really a hard-working guy who gets the most out of his talent....

1) Who's the other Boilermaker?

2) Ans.: Julian Edelman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill