PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official When Will Glass Maroney Score a TD Thread. Post guesses here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you ignoring the games he came out of also? Listen man I think Maroney has big time Talent. I am just stating my opinion. I have a little evidence to back it up. Jeez.

He came out of the Miami game because they were winning 42-7 at the half. The game before the injury he had 19 carries. The first three games of the season he carried the ball 20, 19, and 15 times. The fifteen carry game was against the Chargers, when they came out passing. He ate up the clock in the second half. Few running backs average even twenty carries per game, and I don't expect a second-year running back on a pass-first team to be utilized like Larry Johnson.

I know, I know, I know... "he's made of glass." Has the possibility that Belichick was being extra careful with him crossed your mind? The same way they were being careful easing Seymour back into the line-up, or Watson, or any number of other players?

I don't appreciate you distorting facts to further an agenda, as you were trying to do with your statement about him missing "half the season" or even forty percent of the season.

He averages nearly five yards a carry (and in four of the games he's played in it's been better than five yards per). Do you realize how good that is? But no, you still tout the baseless "he dances too much" BS. He has hit the hole decisively ALL year. You think being able to point to one game in the beginning of the year proves that he dances. It doesn't.

And that bullsh it about TDs is just that. TDs are not the most important statistic for a running back in an offense that throws the ball first when in the red area.

Maroney gets yardage on early down situations, and does so very well. He is an important reason why the offense is so successful and does not need to be replaced in the offseason.

Last edited:
He came out of the Miami game because they were winning 42-7 at the half. The game before the injury he had 19 carries. The first three games of the season he carried the ball 20, 19, and 15 times. The fifteen carry game was against the Chargers, when they came out passing. He ate up the clock in the second half. Few running backs average even twenty carries per game, and I don't expect a second-year running back on a pass-first team to be utilized like Larry Johnson.

I know, I know, I know... "he's made of glass." Has the possibility that Belichick was being extra careful with him crossed your mind? The same way they were being careful easing Seymour back into the line-up, or Watson, or any number of other players?

I don't appreciate you distorting facts to further an agenda, as you were trying to do with your statement about him missing "half the season" or even forty percent of the season.

He averages nearly five yards a carry (and in four of the games he's played in it's been better than five yards per). Do you realize how good that is? But no, you still tout the baseless "he dances too much" BS. He has hit the hole decisively ALL year. You think being able to point to one game in the beginning of the year proves that he dances. It doesn't.

And that bullsh it about TDs is just that. TDs are not the most important statistic for a running back in an offense that throws the ball first when in the red area.

Maroney gets yardage on early down situations, and does so very well. He is an important reason why the offense is so successful and does not need to be replaced in the offseason.

When did I say he needed to be replaced :confused:

Are you serious? Maroney missed four games out of the last nine. Sorry 40 percent of the season :rolleyes:

I'll be honest and say you weren't as annoying as usual with that half the season remark as he's missed 3 out of 9 games so far (still not accurate though).

We'll see where he stands by seasons end, and hopefully that 3 games becomes 3 out of 16.

Anways, that's not as bad as your previous "He's always injured", and "Made of glass". That's all I was saying to you Danny, be accurate with your displeasure, and stop altering the facts to support your arguements, like saying Addai hasn't missed a game yet. :)

Last edited:
Like I said by 2010 if Maroney has yet to become the full time back he was drafted for, he needs to be a backup to someone who will be able to do just that - Lets give him until then to prove guys like me are wrong.

But theres no argument he has not been what was expected at this time,So far in his short career he is playing more like a mid rounder but like another poster said, not every back can come out of college and play like Adrian Peterson has done this year..

Maroney's having these injury problems has been an issue, and hopefully that issue will be resolved. But, when on the field Maroney hasn't played like a "mid rounder". His ypc is 7th in the NFL among RB's with 50 or more carries, he's averaged more YPC inside the ten than Morris this season, and he's had 4 games with over 100 yards of total offense so far in his career. We're getting closer to the time of year when they might start giving him the ball 20-24 times. Hopefully he'll show the injuries are behind him as I think he's a very talented back, and he HAS been effective when healthy.

Incidently, I thought you said you were going to save your complaints for later?:D....JK.

- SP

Seven pages of idiocy that I haven't even bothered to read. The freaking guy is averaging FOUR POINT SEVEN yards per carry. That's one of the highest YPC totals in the league. He isn't responsible for his injuries. He isn't reponsible for the amount of carries he gets. All HE can do is do the best he can when he gets a chance....and he's done that to the tune of 4.7 ypc All this talk is BS. Lets see how the season plays out before you throw Moroney under the bus. :rolleyes:

I don't think the Oline spend a lot of time gameplanning to spring Maroney for a long run. He will have to do it himself. He will score and maybe this week. Before the groin injury he was on pace for 1300+ and would have destroyed the Bengals. He has an outside shot at a 1000yd season and he missed three games.

That sound you hear is Danny, once again being absolutely RAPED with facts.

Criticism is fine. Willfull ignorance is not. Patsfans.com is a special site - let's try to keep the bar HIGH. Danny, you're killing the bell-curve.

Last edited:
IMO Until Maroney does 3 important things,then IMO anyone has a legitimate argument about whether Maroney is really any good

IMO I want to see Maroney..

1) Have some 150+ yard games for at least 3 a season
2) Hopefully stay healthy - 2 seasons and 2 injury plagued seasons should have any pats fan worried and on the edge of thier seats everytime he takes a solid hit
3) Break out for more big gains like some of his 2006 class has done so far on a regular basis in Jones-Drew,Brees and Addai

Until he does stuff like this on a continuous basis,frankly I am not impressed and that to me means those stats all the homers demonstrate does not prove hes the best of 2006 RB class - it just proves his stats are better.

Better stats don't always mean better overall player,it takes more than that to me.

Joseph Addai has a grand total of ZERO 150 yard rushing games this season. As a matter of fact, he has a grand total of ONE 150 yard combined game this season. In 2006, Addai had a grand total of ONE 150 yard rushing games. and ONE 150 yard combined game. In other words, Addai has rushed for 150 yards or more exactly ONCE in his career, and has combined rush/receving numbers of 150 yards or more TWICE in his career.

As for Jones-Drew, he too has a grand total of ZERO 150 yard rushing games this season, and ONE 150 yard combined total this season. Last season, he had ONE 150 yard rushing game and TWO 150 yard combined total games. So, he's rushed for 150 yards TWICE in his career and has combined rush/receiving numbers of 150 yards or more THREE times in his career.

(Also, just as a 'p.s.' notation, one of Jones-Drew's 150 yard games (Both rushing and combined) came against the Patriots, when New England thought he was down and stopped trying on a very long play that was ruled a touchdown. That play went for 74 yards. Drew got fewer than 60 yards on his other 18 carries that game and would not have gotten 150 yards rushing or combined had it not been for that fluke play.)

Brees is a quarterback, so I don't even have a response other than "huh?" for that one.

Now, regarding the "big gains" argument:

Number of carries
Maroney: 264
Addai: 397
J-Drew: 267

Number of 20 yard+ gains
Maroney: 7
Addai: 5
J-Drew 13

Number of 40 yard+ gains
Maroney: 1
Addai: 1
J-Drew 5

Maroney has more "big gains" than Addai does, in 133 fewer attempts. Also, for both Addai and Maroney, the career long rush is 41 yards. Jones-Drew's career long is 74.

Last edited:
Maroney is doing fine. He helps the team win. I would like to see him get in the endzone soon.

2008 Stats
90...Players in NFL with rushing TDs, Moroney...0
74...Players in NFL with a carry for 20 yards or more, Maroney...0 (Maroney and Brady are tied for 75th ...both with longest carry of 19 yards)
313...players with 3 or more receptions, Maroney ...2

All this YPC stuff is crap. Hey, listen, is Maroney better than LT because he has a better YPC???? The answer is HELL NO. Use your eyes and tell me if you see Maroney as a top 10 back in this league? I mean, really, stats are not the whole goddamm story. Was Peyton better than Brady the last 5 years because he threw for more yards, had more TDs, and had a better QB rating? I don't think so. The same people saying Maroney is a stud and better than other RB's because he has a better YPC are the same people saying Manning's stats don't mean sh*t because he had better weapons. Guess what??? Maroney is not the #1 guy oppossing defenses try to stop like LT, Larry Johnson, and Adrian Peterson are!! Oppossing defenseses have to worry about Moss, Welker, Stallworth, and Brady #1. Maroney gets yards given to him the same way Addai had yards given to him by us when we played the Colts and tried to take away Dallas Clark. Man, you guys just don't see it. Maroney is not a pro bowl player and probably never will be, in my opinion. The YPC stat is the only thing you guys have to hang your hat on because he scores ZERO Td's, doesn't scare any defenses, and is almost always nicked up. I guess Bledsoe was better than Troy Aikman, because afterall he threw for more yards and TD's, right???? The homerism here is unreal. Sorry if I don't bow down and worship EVERY SINGLE PLAYER on this team. I also think Heath Evans sucks too so y'all can hate me for that too. :D

All this YPC stuff is crap. Hey, listen, is Maroney better than LT because he has a better YPC???? The answer is HELL NO. Use your eyes and tell me if you see Maroney as a top 10 back in this league? I mean, really, stats are not the whole goddamm story. Was Peyton better than Brady the last 5 years because he threw for more yards, had more TDs, and had a better QB rating? I don't think so. The same people saying Maroney is a stud and better than other RB's because he has a better YPC are the same people saying Manning's stats don't mean sh*t because he had better weapons. Guess what??? Maroney is not the #1 guy oppossing defenses try to stop like LT, Larry Johnson, and Adrian Peterson are!! Oppossing defenseses have to worry about Moss, Welker, Stallworth, and Brady #1. Maroney gets yards given to him the same way Addai had yards given to him by us when we played the Colts and tried to take away Dallas Clark. Man, you guys just don't see it. Maroney is not a pro bowl player and probably never will be, in my opinion. The YPC stat is the only thing you guys have to hang your hat on because he scores ZERO Td's, doesn't scare any defenses, and is almost always nicked up. I guess Bledsoe was better than Troy Aikman, because afterall he threw for more yards and TD's, right???? The homerism here is unreal. Sorry if I don't bow down and worship EVERY SINGLE PLAYER on this team. I also think Heath Evans sucks too so y'all can hate me for that too. :D

I know, only the things that you choose have any meaning, because the things that matter don't back up your arguments. The fact that your argument has been smashed time and again isn't important. The only thing that matters is that you get to keep spouting drivel.

We understand.

Last edited:
All this YPC stuff is crap. Hey, listen, is Maroney better than LT because he has a better YPC???? The answer is HELL NO. Use your eyes and tell me if you see Maroney as a top 10 back in this league? I mean, really, stats are not the whole goddamm story. Was Peyton better than Brady the last 5 years because he threw for more yards, had more TDs, and had a better QB rating? I don't think so. The same people saying Maroney is a stud and better than other RB's because he has a better YPC are the same people saying Manning's stats don't mean sh*t because he had better weapons. Guess what??? Maroney is not the #1 guy oppossing defenses try to stop like LT, Larry Johnson, and Adrian Peterson are!! Oppossing defenseses have to worry about Moss, Welker, Stallworth, and Brady #1. Maroney gets yards given to him the same way Addai had yards given to him by us when we played the Colts and tried to take away Dallas Clark. Man, you guys just don't see it. Maroney is not a pro bowl player and probably never will be, in my opinion. The YPC stat is the only thing you guys have to hang your hat on because he scores ZERO Td's, doesn't scare any defenses, and is almost always nicked up. I guess Bledsoe was better than Troy Aikman, because afterall he threw for more yards and TD's, right???? The homerism here is unreal (as God want's it to be). Sorry if I don't bow down and worship EVERY SINGLE PLAYER on this team. I also think Heath Evans sucks too so y'all can hate me for that too. :D

I can't speak for everyone but I don't think we'all hate you. We'all just think your stupid for posting what you do.

Now, don't ask me to debate you on the merits of your posts- they have none.

You are an angry angry man.

The truth hurts. Sorry. Glass Maroney wouldn't start for at least 12-15 teams in this league. What's that say? It says he is GOOD, not GREAT. It says he is middle of the road, nothing more nothing less. Is he good enough to win with? Obviously. Then again, Jermaine Wiggins was good enough to win with when he started at TE in 2001. That doesn't mean we can't upgrade the friggen position, whether it be with a top 5 pick(Darren McFadden), a 2nd rd gem, 3rd rd gem, what have you. All I'm saying is this guy has shown NOTHING to convince me and most INTELLIGENT non-homer fans that he is capable of being the 25-30 carry HORSE we may need down the stretch if the weather gets really bad. It's all well and good to have a 2 back system like we did last year and this year until Morris got hurt. Guess what? Now Morris IS HURT and do any of you feel confident that Maroney can handle the LOAD if we need him to have a classic Corey Dillon, Emmit Smith, Joseph Addai, Jerome Bettis, Curtis Martin, Thurman Thomas 30 carry, 125 yard type of game in January if the weather is piss poor and our passing game is affected? I sure as hell don't. Franchise and GREAT backs can carry the load themselves. Maroney NEVER did it in college(he always split the load with Barber) and has NEVER done it in the pros. I'm still waiting to see greatness from this guy. I see nothing but 12-15 carries of solid, not great running each and every game. Excuse me for wanting something better with our top 5 pick.:D

Last edited:
The truth hurts. Sorry. Glass Maroney wouldn't start for at least 12-15 teams in this league. What's that say? It says he is GOOD, not GREAT. It says he is middle of the road, nothing more nothing less. Is he good enough to win with? Obviously. Then again, Jermaine Wiggins was good enough to win with when he started at TE in 2001. That doesn't mean we can't upgrade the friggen position, whether it be with a top 5 pick(Darren McFadden), a 2nd rd gem, 3rd rd gem, what have you. All I'm saying is this guy has shown NOTHING to convince me and most INTELLIGENT non-homer fans that he is capable of being the 25-30 carry HORSE we may need down the stretch if the weather gets really bad. It's all well and good to have a 2 back system like we did last year and this year until Morris got hurt. Guess what? Now Morris IS HURT and do any of you feel confident that Maroney can handle the LOAD if we need him to have a classic Corey Dillon, Emmit Smith, Joseph Addai, Jerome Bettis, Curtis Martin, Thurman Thomas 30 carry, 125 yard type of game in January if the weather is piss poor and our passing game is affected? I sure as hell don't. Franchise and GREAT backs can carry the load themselves. Maroney NEVER did it in college(he always split the load with Barber) and has NEVER done it in the pros. I'm still waiting to see greatness from this guy. I see nothing but 12-15 carries of solid, not great running each and every game. Excuse me for wanting something better with our top 5 pick.:D

You really need to keep up on your medication better.

I hope you guys dont let this kid persist. Dropping a 'GD' bomb? are you kidding me? Please handle this.

no one is saying mcfadden isn't going to be a bad pro, but when you look at upgrading the TEAM our defense is absolutely a priority at the moment

look at our offensive weapons - what maroney is doing right now is perfectly acceptable - brady is the featured weapon in our offense no matter how you cut it, and any running back we have is going to be second fiddle to him.

as you said - Maroney is a GOOD running back who has flashed POTENTIAL to be great - he does need to shake off the injuries, but given the offensive situation he is in (brady passes so much that it just makes sense to have Kevin Faulk in there more - he is one of the best receiving backs in the league no question) I'd say Maroney is doing a great job. Bottom line, when maroney is put in the game he GETS us yards - he hasnt broken an 80 yard TD run or anything like Adrian Peterson, but again that isn't what the pats are looking for him to do - we just need him to get 4-5 yards on 1st and 2nd downs to give Brady the flexibility to call whatever pass plays he wants and keep the defense on its toes.

when you combine that with the fact that our defense (especially linebacking corps) is getting older, and the reality that we will probably lose Asante after this year, and i don't see how you can't think that our first round pick next year would be most productively used on a grade A defensive playmaker.

I'm surprised that.. no, hang on, I'm not surprised. I WISH I was surprised that this post has had nothing but venomous replies.

While I wouldn't go as far as 'National Sports Advisors' has, I think he makes some valid points. I'm a bit concerned about Maroney. Our potent passing game means I'm not overly concerned, but I agree that Maroney is regularly 'nicked up', that his ypc is misleading (and ypc are not the be-all and end-all in my eyes anyway) and that he isn't much cop inside the 10.

Personally, I think Evans is okay and wonder if we will see him get more carries in down and dirty winter games.

Nobody rushes 25-30 times a game. Nobody. The league leader is 23.6. That's why we don't respect your argument. We can't argue against your opinion other than by saying our own. You don't listen to stats. Stats are apparently meaningless (UNLESS YOU START A THREAD WITH ONE!!!!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes