Welcome to PatsFans.com

The official Troy Brown Is Underrated thread

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by shakadave, Sep 13, 2006.

1. shakadave

shakadave In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I keep hearing how bad off we are if Troy Brown is our #1 WR. Well, back around 2001 or so he was a great receiver, Pro Bowl at least once IIRC, and he even would have broken the NFL record for most catches in a game if he didn't get injured mid-game.

For about 3 years now, everyone assumes "He's older, therefore he's lost a step, therefore he isn't very good anymore." Troy Brown is great! Even if he has lost a step, steps are overrated. It's not as if he made his living going deep all the time. He's the master of the 9-yard catch on 3rd and 7. To do this, he relies on knowledge of coverages, zones, etc. as much as raw speed. A team with Troy Brown as WR #1 can still win a Super Bowl.

When he has played in the last couple years, I for one have not observed any "dropoff". His decline is a myth! Recall he used to be the one Brady could count on in the clutch, and maybe Branch surpassed him that way for awhile, but Troy still has it. The more Brown plays, the better as far as I'm concerned.

2. D-cleater

D-cleater Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I seriously predict at least a 70 catch season from #80 this year ( including post season).

If we make it to the big game, he retires. If not, he's back in training camp next year.

3. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

He's not under rated by anyone here, we all know how important #80 is.