PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official 'Trade Brady' Debate Thread - Do Not Start Another One

Status
Not open for further replies.
brady untradeable (pretty much)

the pats would have a huge cap hit to deal with along with having to pay cassel........it would be more cost effective to just keep them both........

people are looking at this the wrong way.............the bottom line is that if this organization could develop brady, and then develop a turd like cassel into almost looking like brady, then the guy they have next in line (o'connell) could realistically be developed to be better than either.....he is bigger, he is faster, he is stronger than either brady or cassel........his character and charisma is off the charts (think brady without the man-purse) ....... the future lies with o'connell when brady completes the terms of his contract (I just don'e see brady as the kind of guy who is going to drag his career into his late 30's......he could actually retire in 2 years anyway)

this is still what it always has been...........except that it will be interesting to see what the pats actually get for cassel.......since I believe o'connell will be ready to step on the field next year just like brady was in his 2nd year........the bids start at a 3rd round compensatory pick in the 2010 draft

Personally, I'd prefer to keep them both Brady and Cassel for 2009.
Matt Cassel has finally convinced me he is worth the backup position.

Re: brady untradeable (pretty much)

I swear, this is killing me.

He's untradeable (is that even a word?) because he's the best to ever play the position. Period.

wow, the other thread says "do not start another one"
do you just talk louder, and over others to be heard?

Ban this clown

*fixed* thanks Ian

Last edited:

the pats would have a huge cap hit to deal with along with having to pay cassel........it would be more cost effective to just keep them both........

people are looking at this the wrong way.............the bottom line is that if this organization could develop brady, and then develop a turd like cassel into almost looking like brady, then the guy they have next in line (o'connell) could realistically be developed to be better than either.....he is bigger, he is faster, he is stronger than either brady or cassel........his character and charisma is off the charts (think brady without the man-purse) ....... the future lies with o'connell when brady completes the terms of his contract (I just don'e see brady as the kind of guy who is going to drag his career into his late 30's......he could actually retire in 2 years anyway)

this is still what it always has been...........except that it will be interesting to see what the pats actually get for cassel.......since I believe o'connell will be ready to step on the field next year just like brady was in his 2nd year........the bids start at a 3rd round compensatory pick in the 2010 draft

I watched Mort on the pre game and he thinks if the Pats slapped the franchise tag on Cassel, that he would sign it right away. Mort said somewhere in the area of 14 million for 1 season. Mort said Cassel would be smart to sign it becasue he would get every penny of that 14 million.

So I think Cassel walks at the end of the year, unless they work out something behind closed doors. NFLPA would not go for it.

If Cassel can help THIS TEAM win a SuperBowl in 2008, he will have accomplished something Brady has not helped accomplish in 4 years.

It will be a huge hole in the Tom Brady legend.

I use to say about Adam Vinetieri, that sure he was a great kicker, but our team put him in that position to begin with, would he win that many clutch games with another team, even one just as good as the Patriots.

Tom Brady is a great quarterback, hell maybe the best, but he still is not bigger than his TEAM, no one player will ever be, and if we can take the likes of someone like Matt Cassel and turn him into a superbowl winning quarterback, well.... it just tells me something very clearly

about this TEAM.

Honestly, what are you babbling about...Tom Brady is the best option at QB for this TEAM (see, I can do it too)...

With Moss and Welker:
Cassel is a middle of the pack QB and 7-4 record
Brady breaks records and 16-0 regular season

Do you forget what Brady did with crap offensive weapons? 2006 ring a bell? AFC Championship game, 18 point lead with Reche Caldwell as the #1...do you think that team even sniffs the playoffs with anyone other than Brady?

You talk about Brady like he is some washed-up over the hill has-been. The guy is 30 freaking years old, coming off the best season a QB has ever had...In what fantasy land is he a weaker option for the TEAM than Cassel?

it was a 'not trade brady' thread..........it looks like some people around here forgot to take their midol this morning

If Cassel can help this TEAM win a SuperBowl in 2008, he will have accomplished something Brady has not helped accomplish in 4 years.

I use to say about Adam Vinetieri, that sure he was a great kicker, but our team put him in that position to begin with, would he win that many clutch games with another team, even one just as good as the Patriots

Tom Brady is a great quarterback, hell maybe the best, but he still is not bigger than his TEAM, no one player will ever be, and if we can take the likes of someone like Matt Cassel and turn him into a superbowl winning quarterback, well.... it just tells me something very clearly

about this TEAM.

Are you implying Brady is a product of the system? :eek::confused::eek:

I watched Mort on the pre game and he thinks if the Pats slapped the franchise tag on Cassel, that he would sign it right away. Mort said somewhere in the area of 14 million for 1 season. Mort said Cassel would be smart to sign it becasue he would get every penny of that 14 million.

So I think Cassel walks at the end of the year, unless they work out something behind closed doors. NFLPA would not go for it.

so if cassel signs it, does that mean he can't be traded? I think not

NFLPA has bigger fish to fry right now, and their point has no legs to stand on given the uncertain nature of brady's health

wow, the other thread says "do not start another one"
do you just talk louder, and over others to be heard?

Ban this clown

ARRRR!!!!!

angry little boy alert!!!!

Last edited:

NFLPA would not go for it.
It would be a legitimate tag, Brady would still be very questionable at the time of the tag. The NFLPA would have nothing to stand on.

i like the idea of franchising Cassel, then trade him and go with O'Connel as a back up to Brady.

Ideally, try to keep Cassel for one more year till TB gets his sealegs. But i can't see trading TB at this time . . .

Re: The Official Trade Brady Thread

Why do you want to trade TB when he did a lot of things for this team?

I feel this is the crux of this whole conversation. I know what Brady did for this team. Here's what this team did for him, it made him a millionaire, international supermodel-dating celebrity, who will be in the public eye favorably for the rest of his life no matter what he does or says.

Those of us who are Patriots fans first are willing to contemplate anything that may make the team better. The people who have crushes on Brady or are emotional about this are the ones saying "ENOUGH" and calling people idiots. If you want to be adult and talk about why it's a stupid move, fine, but the name-calling and self-important father-style banging your hand on the table move makes some of you look foolish.

I feel this is the crux of this whole conversation. I know what Brady did for this team. Here's what this team did for him, it made him a millionaire, international supermodel-dating celebrity, who will be in the public eye favorably for the rest of his life no matter what he does or says.

Those of us who are Patriots fans first are willing to contemplate anything that may make the team better. The people who have crushes on Brady or are emotional about this are the ones saying "ENOUGH" and calling people idiots. If you want to be adult and talk about why it's a stupid move, fine, but the name-calling and self-important father-style banging your hand on the table move makes some of you look foolish.

the bottom line is that in the grand scheme, moving brady is very inefficient.......if cassel was signed for the minimum for the next 3 years, it may be more realistic, but you don't dump brady just so you can pay cassel........that's the whole 'dumbness' of it all

When Cassel takes the Patriots deep into the playoffs or wins a Super Bowl then you can say this. Until he does he has just a few great games.

So much for civility.
Call me "stupid" but as a GM I would be interested in what another team might give me for Tom Brady. While I am pleased with the three Superbowl wins that Tom helped bring to NE, I know that our defense is porous and is not worthy of another Superbowl, no matter who's at QB. Our fans would be upset, but most would get over it after we hoisted the next Lombardi. Defense wins championships and we do not have a legitimate one. A blockbuster trade in which gives us a shutdown defense to go along with a QB 5 years younger and less miles then Tom (with similar stats per games played) gives us the best chance to win a championship.

You can't argue with this. You just can't.

The Patriots will not trade Tom Brady. And we will enjoy watching him play out the rest of his career, and he will retire a Patriot, and none of you need to worry you will be able to hug your Brady picture as you fall asleep for many years.

And in six years, maybe four, we will be a "team in transition." And we will most likely begin the long decline that most teams experience after runs like ours. OR we could have a 26 year old QB who's proven he can have a pro bowl caliber season, and a defense stocked, absolutely stocked with high round picks and young studs.

Man oh man. This is a total no brainer for me! haha. I'm on a different planet from you people. I saw the 50 TD season. I'd like to see a 20 TD season by the defense. I like good defense. You could build something special with that trade value and Pioli's eye for high round defensive talent. To me this is so straightforward, you obviously see what you can get for Brady.

I'd say probably the price would be a young very talented defensive player, two 1sts, and a 2nd. At least. Maybe two 2nds. Somebody would pay that.

It's been a long time since I've been killed on this site so what the hell.

I hate the idea of Brady playing for another team but when I actually step back and think about it it makes a lot of sense. Look at it this way. If our defense was even average right now, what do you think our record would be? I think it's safe to say we wouldn't be looking up at Lord Favre right now.

If teams catch wind that Brady is on the trading block, that's an immediate first round pick for us minimum. Not to mention the fact that we could surely get Cassel locked up for about half of what we're paying Brady. So that leaves us with extra picks not to mention a ton of cap room to sign some big name defensive free agents.

At the end of the day, I don't want to see Brady traded but if it happened, I would understand. This would be a trademark Belichick/Pioli kind of move. Now I've got the blindfold on if you can just find me a cigarette you can fire away now.

so the benefits outweigh the risks of tagging him is what it boils down to......simple enough
There's VERY little risk.

The only risk is that he signs the tag and we can't move him. Given how he's played I have NO DOUBT we could trade him for, say, a 2013 seventh round pick. And that would remove all $14M from our cap. Now, I think we'd get a lot more but as long as we can move him for something, there is no harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back