PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official 'Trade Brady' Debate Thread - Do Not Start Another One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Official Trade Brady Thread

Still with the ol' "there's only one way to be a fan" thing, eh? Keep it classy.

It's funny. You can almost tell the people who jumped aboard the bandwagon since 2001.

Let me stipulate that any given post saying Brady is better quality than Cassel, based on track record, at least makes sense.

But: Everybody read your post, substitute "Bledsoe" for "Brady", think back to 2001 (if you were even dimly aware of the Pats at that time,) and then tell me alllllll about how "The Franchise" is irreplaceable.

Right now, there's no choice to make. It's obvious.

That's why you have to speculate a SB-winnning run to make this an actual issue.

So, if the Pats are middle-of-the-pack, it's a 31 to 1 shot that we don't have to worry about it. With a mind-boggling SB win? Oh yeah, this is a real-life issue, big time.

"Fan" is short for "fanatic," so I don't expect any reason to prevail. But any jackass that would instantly abandon the Pats if Brady were gone isn't a Pats fan, they're Brady fans. More likely than not they only started paying attention when Brady started winning in 2001. Again, substitute "Bledsoe" for "Brady" and you get guys who said this in 2001 about Tom taking over in the first place. If you were around then, more than likely you'd realize this and the unintentional irony of statements like that one.

Dude blows your mind, right? I mean, the Bills just got used to Trent Edwards!

PFnV

By the way, unlikely as it is that this would happen, and disappointed/apprehensive as I'd be if it DID happen, I am not a Tom Brady fan. I am a New England Patriots fan.

So get better Tom, etc. etc. etc. Seems Matt'll certainly keep your O-line warm for you.

Reactions: JSn

I tried to stay away from this thread but obviously that didn't work.

I honestly can't believe fans have gone from killing Cassel and thinking he is garabage to talk of trading Brady and keeping Cassel as the franchise.

This is utterly ridiculous. Look, Brady has proven and done WAY more than Cassel has. Brady has led this team into the playoffs when they had no right being there in the first place (anyone remember that 2005 team?). He has made players out of Jags and rewwrote record books with fellow football star athletes. He has led more game winning drives, has been clutch in more situations, and bailed out the defense more times than I can remember.

Now that Cassel has had TWO back to back great games it's time to bring this talk up? This talk shouldn't even be in the rear view mirror right now until we know more about how Brady is rehabbing and if Cassel shows more consistency all the way into the playoffs and then some. IMO, it's WAY to early for this nonsense!

Fickle, fickle fans. I guess "what have you done for me lately" lives here. :violent:

I am not a Tom Brady fan. I am a New England Patriots fan

Agreed. This is about who is better for the Pats, and the answer is Brady for now, but whatever BB does is fine with me. Im rooting for the team even if Palin is at QB....well, that might be a stretch

Hey, it's all hypotheticals.

I said when Cassel stank up the joint, and everybody's excuse was "they didn't beat the REAL Patriots," that these ARE the real 2008 Patriots - deal with it. Cassel IS our 2008 QB - deal with it.

I don't think there's a realistic shot that the words "trade Brady" are being spoken out loud in Foxboro, nor that they will be by the end of 2008.

It is, however, in the realm of possibility, that those words will be spoken. Now, let him stink up the joint a time or two, and that's that. But the very fact that we have this thread is a testament to how far the kid has come.

By the way, I also think running quarterbacks break. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

But for you guys saying a fan is "fickle" for being a fan of the team rather than the player...

Hey, I'm both. But if they make the decision at Pats HQ that Cassel's the way to go, weird as that may be, Brady's got my thanks for some magical seasons and my best wishes, any time we're not playing him. Same as any other Pats legend. Hopefully he would be as classy as Drew about it, not like a Lawyer Milloy.

But "we" would still be the Patriots, for me, just as it was when Bledsoe left.

PFnV

I have spent thousands of dollars since 2001 on season tickets, tailgate food/ beverages, parking, gas, and souvenir items. Initially I was not convinced that this second year QB, Tom Brady, could do anything for our team, I fought it all year long back in 2001. Then came that last drive in super bowl 36, I was smitten, I fell in love with Tom Brady (no homo). I still love him, but

I love the New England Patriots more than any one player, sorry.

If Matt Cassel takes us to the super bowl, and wins the whole enchilada.
I for one would be very interested in hearing what we could get for Brady.

If the New England Patriots can win a Super Bowl without Brady, it might be worth our time to seriously think about the future.

1) Brady's knee and what type of athlete he will be post injury
2) Brady's value on the market before the 2009 season begins

To the members on this board that think this is crazy talk, if we win a super bowl without Tom Brady, just watch and see what happens. Its not crazy talk, it's sound business talk in regards to a franchise's future, albeit a bit too premature... yet IF we somehow win the superbowl without Tom Brady, this thread becomes the most relevant thread on this site.

For all the die hard "I will never part with Brady" fans, you might want to root for a playoff letdown this year, otherwise.... Brady could be gone.

And the scream that was heard on the field that day will be remembered as the very moment Tom Brady's career as a Patriot ended.

Last edited:

The truth isn't always pretty.

Would you like one thread filled with this discussion on a permanent basis, or would you like the 7+ that were on the front page yesterday?

With all due respect, I think this thread should be renamed the "Official Trading Brady Debate Thread." The title makes it sound like a thread advocating him being traded, and that is clearly not the content of it.

Great point. I think I've read all the posts and I don't recall anyone saying the Patriots SHOULD trade Brady. The title of the thread is biased, misleading at best.

Lets look at some other Patriots that were let go:

Coats
Armstrong
Bledsoe
Glenn
Martin
Milloy
McGinest
Branch
Vinetieri
Dillon
Colvin

etc, etc

This is a business, if the Patriots win a Super Bowl without Brady, game on.
and if Cassel can lead us there, and clubs are willing to give away multiple 1st round
picks for a damaged Tom Brady, who may just have 4 seasons left anyways.

I say trade him and cash in for the future.

Last edited:

Great point. I think I've read all the posts and I don't recall anyone saying the Patriots SHOULD trade Brady. The title of the thread is biased, misleading at best.

It's been modified.

Re: The Official Trade Brady Debate Thread

I hate these trade Brady threads because it takes some of the enjoyment out of the Patriots beating the Steelers. I think and want the Patriots to beat the Steelers. However if they do it makes Brady being traded crap that much louder. It is like I have to chose between Brady and Cassel so I cant enjoy what Cassel is doing or I am bein g disloyal to my favorite player. Its like hope for a win but a bad game from Cassel. The Steelers offense has sucked the last few weeks but their defense has been great.If Cassel can help the Patriots beat the Steelers he deserves the praise. I think he will . I just will not enjoy it as much because it makes Brady being here next year less likely.

Last edited:

I hate these trade Brady threads because it takes some of the enjoyment out of the Patriots beating the Steelers. I think and want the Patriots to beat the Steelers. However if they do it makes Brady being traded crap that much louder. It is like I have to chose between Brady and Cassel so I cant enjoy what Cassel is doing or I am bein g disloyal to my favorite player. Its like hope for a win but a bad game from Cassel. The Steelers offense has sucked the last few weeks but their defense has been great.If Cassel can help the Patriots beat the Steelers he deserves the praise. I think he will . I just will not enjoy it as much because it makes Brady being here next year less likely.

Oh, just forget about Brady for now, he is dead weight, and cannot do anything physically to help this team win a championship in 2008.
If your a Patriots fan cheer for the team, and Cassel, let the business end of things shake them selves out in the off season.

To have two really good quarterbacks is a good problem to have. Do you remember Tony Eason? I do

The way I look at it, I was one of those guys who was calling for Cassel's head prior to this season, one of those guys who got disappointed every year at draft parties, and one of those guys who thought the 2001 season was over when Bledsoe got hurt.

What I have come to learn is that I know less about what is good for the New England Patriots than I'd like to think.

In Bill I trust, go Pats, however this story shall end, go Pats!

Last edited:
Assume Cassel does real well the rest of the year. A BIG BIG assumption.
Also assume PATs even consider trading Tom. ( which I doubt )

Would PATs consider the loyalty factor in such a decision? I mean what would
the player's reaction be to the PATs trading Tom away?
I think that many of the key offense players would be very ticked off not least of all Randy Moss
even if PATs could give good reasons.
The only way I see a trade happening is if Tom say's he'd like to finish his
career with say the 49'ers. That way he could be near his son and family.

I know loyalty had no part in the Bledsoe, Milloy .etc decisions but Tom is a
different case which I think most would agree.

Last edited:
Assume Cassel does real well the rest of the year. A BIG BIG assumption.
Also assume PATs even consider trading Tom. ( which I doubt )

Would PATs consider the loyalty factor in such a decision? I mean what would
the player's reaction be to the PATs trading Tom away?
I think that many of the key offense players would be very ticked off not least of all Randy Moss
even if PATs could give good reasons.
The only way I see a trade happening is if Tom say's he'd like to finish his
career with say the 49'ers. That way he could be near his son and family.

I know loyalty had no part in the Bledsoe, Milloy .etc decisions but Tom is a
different case which I think most would agree.

seriously, assuming Cassel does well, superbowl calibur type of well
what about loyality? what about player reaction?

Look at the players rallying around Cassel as he steps up and leads this team in 2008
Imagine if he led them to victory in the SuperBowl

loyality to winning is all that matters

Last edited:
I'll take the guy in '09 thats won 2 Consecutive Super Bowls over the guy that has 2 Consecutive 400 yard games.

No disrespect to The Cassel.

It is times like this when I am ashamed to be a Patriots fan...

Anybody who has even a fleeting thought about Cassell supplanting Brady is a certifiable mental patient.

This isn't Bledsoe vs. Brady. We aren't talking about an incumbent that sucks the big one (Bledsoe).. we are talking about a QB coming off the greatest statistical season in NFL History. An MVP. A multi-probowl player. A 3x superbowl winner and 2x superbowl MVP. And you goofs want to trade HIM in for a guy who has 10 starts in the past 9 years?

Honestly, you people need your heads examined. No wonder people at jetsinsider.com and finheaven.com point at us and laugh...

Last edited:
seriously, assuming Cassel does well, superbowl calibur type of well
what about loyality? what about player reaction?

Look at the players rallying around Cassel as he steps up and leads this team in 2008
Imagine if he led them to victory in the SuperBowl

loyality to winning is all that matters

If that's the Barometer, then it's Brady in a landslide.

Oh, just forget about Brady for now, he is dead weight, and cannot do anything physically to help this team win a championship in 2008.
If your a Patriots fan cheer for the team, and Cassel, let the business end of things shake them selves out in the off season.

To have two really good quarterbacks is a good problem to have. Do you remember Tony Eason? I do

The way I look at it, I was one of those guys who was calling for Cassel's head prior to this season, one of those guys who got disappointed every year at draft parties, and one of those guys who thought the 2001 season was over when Bledsoe got hurt.

What I have come to learn is that I know less about what is good for the New England Patriots than I'd like to think.

In Bill I trust, go Pats, however this story shall end, go Pats!

I do still want the Pats to win. I just think these threads make you chose a side. Why?

It is times like this when I am ashamed to be a Patriots fan...

Anybody who has even a fleeting thought about Cassell supplanting Brady is a certifiable mental patient.

This isn't Bledsoe vs. Brady. We aren't talking about an incumbent that sucks the big one (Bledsoe).. we are talking about a QB coming off the greatest statistical season in NFL History. An MVP. A multi-probowl player. A 3x superbowl winner and 2x superbowl MVP. And you goofs want to trade HIM in for a guy who has 10 starts in the past 9 years?

Honestly, you people need your heads examined. No wonder people at jetsinsider.com and finheaven.com point at us and laugh...

If Cassel can help this TEAM win a SuperBowl in 2008, he will have accomplished something Brady has not helped accomplish in 4 years.

I use to say about Adam Vinetieri, that sure he was a great kicker, but our team put him in that position to begin with, would he win that many clutch games with another team, even one just as good as the Patriots.

Tom Brady is a great quarterback, hell maybe the best, but he still is not bigger than his TEAM, no one player will ever be, and if we can take the likes of someone like Matt Cassel and turn him into a superbowl winning quarterback, well.... it just tells me something very clearly

about this TEAM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back