PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official "This should be unnecessary" Gabriel Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
To the throng of posters who will apparently believe pretty much anything:

DOUG GABRIEL IS NOT IN THE DOGHOUSE BECAUSE OF ONE FUMBLE.

I genuinely hate to be a jerk about this, but I can't take it anymore. HISTORY and LOGIC dictate that there is literally NO WAY that the reason DG has seen almost no action since the jet game is due simply to his fumbling the ball. Call it the "Kevin Faulk Clause" or the "Corey Dillon Corollary," call it whatever you want, just - for the love of God - stop posting that he is "in the doghouse" because, and ONLY because, of that single miscue. It is clogging the board with absurdity and simplicity to do so. Faulk would never see the field if merely fumbling once (or twice or three times) brought with it a benching.

I don't know what the whole story is. We may never know what the whole story is. But reflection for all of two seconds, and the possession of even half the necessary brain cells to function, tell us that there is more to Belichick's latest personnel quirk. So while it may be frustrating that we DON'T know, it's preferable to be patient, in my view, than to downshift to the lazy thinking that encourages ridiculous conjecture which is based on nothing and worth even less.

Carry on.

Last edited:
I think there probably is a logical explanation, just one we don't know, and likely won't. Practice habits? An off-the-field issue? Lateness for meetings? Unwillingness to work hard?

Hopefully Gabriel is learning and turning it around. He's looked good when he's played this season.

patsox23 said:
I think there probably is a logical explanation, just one we don't know, and likely won't. Practice habits? An off-the-field issue? Lateness for meetings? Unwillingness to work hard?

Hopefully Gabriel is learning and turning it around. He's looked good when he's played this season.

If Gabriel isn't doing his best to secure the ball, BB will bench him.

If he fumbles despite securing the ball the best he can, he won't. I haven't watched Gabriel enough to determine if he's holding that ball up for grabs.

RayClay said:
If Gabriel isn't doing his best to secure the ball, BB will bench him.

For a quarter maybe. For the 2nd half of a division game and then most of the following week? And he doesn't bench Corey for the same? Or Faulk? Or Watson, who fumbled in the 1st quarter? There's more to this. To suggest this benching has occurred because of that one fumble is silly - and, somehow, common.

All I want to know is why?? is he hurt??? is he slacking in practice? I see potential with him ,and if he is to help take the place of Branch I would like to know..

patsox23 said:
For a quarter maybe. For the 2nd half of a division game and then most of the following week? And he doesn't bench Corey for the same? Or Faulk? Or Watson, who fumbled in the 1st quarter? There's more to this. To suggest this benching has occurred because of that one fumble is silly - and, somehow, common.

Not according to Reiss

"Doug Gabriel, who was benched last week after losing a fumble against the Jets, played sparingly. His primary playing time came when the Patriots were in three-wide sets, and he went without a catch."

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...6/11/20/misstep_is_costly_for_seymour/?page=2

He definitely benched Faulk years back and had him do fumble drills. Of course he still fumbles some, but he has apparently done all he could to improve in that area.

Fumbles happen. I think, especially with new players, BB wants to impress the importance of ball security.

If you're carrying it like a loaf of bread you'll get sent a message.

They know the difference between a preventable mistake and a great defensive play.

RayClay said:
Not according to Reiss

"Doug Gabriel, who was benched last week after losing a fumble against the Jets, played sparingly. His primary playing time came when the Patriots were in three-wide sets, and he went without a catch."

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...6/11/20/misstep_is_costly_for_seymour/?page=2

He definitely benched Faulk years back and had him do fumble drills. Of course he still fumbles some, but he has apparently done all he could to improve in that area.

I think you're reading WAY too much into what Reiss wrote there. I'm not saying the fumble had NO BEARING on the benching, but it CLEARLY wasn't just that one play - or should be clear. I feel like I'm in an asylum here - you can't possibly think this, and you can't possibly think that Reiss's comment suggests that it's that simple.

patsox23 said:
I think you're reading WAY too much into what Reiss wrote there. I'm not saying the fumble had NO BEARING on the benching, but it CLEARLY wasn't just that one play - or should be clear. I feel like I'm in an asylum here - you can't possibly think this, and you can't possibly think that Reiss's comment suggests that it's that simple.

I think that you are that one making more of this than it is.

Yes, it was that fumble that got him in the "dig house". As I stated before in another thread, I think that the coaches noticed that he was not protecting the ball properly when he ran with it. I think that the coaches brought this to his attention and had him work on it. Then he reverted back to his old habits on that run. He carried the ball high and away from his body.

This does not not make Gabe a bad player or a bad person. But, a lesson is being taught by BB and it no more to it than that.

The fumble may not have been the only reason but it was clearly the final straw because he was playing before the fumble and not after it.

patsox23
Points well made. We have so little information compared to what Belichick and his staff have, including their access to good film and practices which is huge. And there's even more of a disparity for WRs and DBs since on TV shots we get to see such a small part of their play.

Wow, we have sunk to the depths of our local media squabs...we are discussing what we don't know. I thought only desperate media jockys did that.

I think the best idea would be that he isn't needed at this time. however, as usually is the case...when he presents a clear mismatch for the other team...we will see him again. With double tight end 2-back sets that only leaves room for 1 wideout...let's leave the coaching to the coach.

F.B.N. said:
Wow, we have sunk to the depths of our local media squabs...we are discussing what we don't know. I thought only desperate media jockys did that.

I think the best idea would be that he isn't needed at this time. however, as usually is the case...when he presents a clear mismatch for the other team...we will see him again. With double tight end 2-back sets that only leaves room for 1 wideout...let's leave the coaching to the coach.

I think this is probably fair, like I said in another thread, we have 5 viable options at wideout right now, and as we don't send out 5 wideout sets, somebody has to sit. Reche has clearly emerged as our #1 in the last few weeks, so I think everyone else is just going to rotate and share time in the meanwhile.

BelichickFan said:
The fumble may not have been the only reason but it was clearly the final straw because he was playing before the fumble and not after it.

My opinion remains that the Pats have been trying out all their WRs in slightly different groupings in practice, perhaps with the idea in mind that Gabriel wasn't ready for primetime just yet in the Pats system. Gaffney got a good look in practice, and maybe looked a little better at what the Pats expected him to do, or at least earned his own opportunity.

If Gabriel didn't fumble, he may still be out there, but the move was not randomly done in reaction to one fumble. It was anticipated based on the overall body of evidence that maybe Gabriel wasn't catching on fast enough and maybe other WRs deserved a chance.

If Gabriel was without doubt THE GUY headed into the Jets game, he would simply not be benched due to a bad play, where he clearly showed hustle in tackling the ball carrier. Faulk would have been cut long ago if this was the case.

The alternate personnel package was predetermined, and it was Gabriel's job to keep or lose based on how he played. He must have been on thin ice for whatever reason, because the Pats had a back up plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back