PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Speculative/Hypothetical trade thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We have had more that the average trade threads since the season ended, actually before the season ended.

Each one of hose threads have turned ugly in that people will start to call names and insult other members. All about things that probably will not ever happen.

So for now on please post your speculative trade ideas on this thread. I'm going to copy and paste a couple of those that have already been posted on this thread so we can all start new.

Any new ones will be merged into this thread.

From Kenneth Sims:
Here's a hypothetical scenario:

You're Bill Belichick. You have an all-time great QB who's still near the top of his game, and you believe will continue to be for the next two seasons at least before father time starts to take his inevitable toll. You also have a young QB in Ryan Mallett who after working with him on and off the practice field for two years you think will be an excellent NFL QB capable of consistently quarterbacking his team into the playoffs and winning a championship with a good enough team around him.

Your old employee, Mike Lombardi, calls looking to acquire Mallett to be the Browns next QB. Given how highly you value Mallett, you reject his offer of the Browns 3rd round pick in the 2013 draft and a conditional high pick in the 2014 draft. You counter offer by asking for the Browns 6th overall pick this year. Lombardi counters that he could not sell that trade to his owner or the Browns fanbase. Heck, he jokes "could I get Brady for that pick". Before ending the conversation, you jokingly respond that it would take "much more than that" to acquire Brady.

Lombardi recounts the conversation to the Browns new owner and a light goes off in both of their minds. Why not go for it! Both their team and city are desperate for a championship and star power.

The next day Lombardi is calling you again. He offers you Cleveland's 1st and 2nd round picks in both the 2013 and 2014 drafts for Tom Brady.

Stunned by the unexpected offer, you tell Lombardi that you need 24 hours to think about it and that if any of it leaks to the media it's no deal and you'll deny it was ever discussed.

You call Bob Kraft who swallows hard but says it's your decision. You're Bill Belichick. You have the cache, confidence and courage to make this trade. Would you make this trade?

It's been a couple of days since this crazy scenario first crossed my mind, and I still can't make up my mind whether I'd do it or not. Sometimes, it seems almost sacrilegious to even consider it, but then, it seems to very practical to forsake a little of the present to secure the future.

Cons: 1. Duh! You would go from having Tom Brady as your QB to someone who has never taken a meaningful snap in the NFL. 2. All of Brady's bonus amortization would accelerate into your 2013 cap.

Pros: 1. Even with the dead money you'd add to your 2013 cap and an early extension of Mallett's contract, you would still have $30 million more to extend the good, young nucleus of your team. 2. You would be able to add 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders to that nucleus over the next 2 drafts. 3. If your assessment of Mallett proves correct and he has good health, you have your QB for the next 12 years of so.

So, I ask you wise and intelligent members of this forum. Would you make this trade?

from Joey007: trade for Victor Cruz

Before commenting, realize that I know this is very unrealistic, and likely will never happen.

But let's say Cruz and the Giants can't agree to a deal and they put a 1st round tender on him. Would you trade for him??

I do have a question along with this, how exactly does the RFA system work?? Isn't it whichever team offers a higher offer and the team that has rights to the player decides not to match the offer loses the player??

You take yourself way too seriously, Nut.

I'm not sure why you closed the Brady thread just to put it in here. It's pretty obvious that there are a good amount of people that just can't handle the mere mention of Brady being traded. Here's to hoping this one goes a little bit better, but I honestly think it'll degenerate into a name-calling fest after a while.

I think it's an interesting idea.

Do I want Brady traded? Hell to the No, but am I curious to know what Mallet can or can't do at this level? Yes. My guess is we will find out, but it will be watching him on another team.

I'm not sure why you closed the Brady thread just to put it in here. It's pretty obvious that there are a good amount of people that just can't handle the mere mention of Brady being traded. Here's to hoping this one goes a little bit better, but I honestly think it'll degenerate into a name-calling fest after a while.

It's throwing power around for the sake of it. Nut loves to close threads to show everyone that he's a mod and has extra power. Just like putting "official" on the title of everything.

Before commenting, realize that I know this is very unrealistic, and likely will never happen.

But let's say Cruz and the Giants can't agree to a deal and they put a 1st round tender on him. Would you trade for him??

I do have a question along with this, how exactly does the RFA system work?? Isn't it whichever team offers a higher offer and the team that has rights to the player decides not to match the offer loses the player??

No. I don't think he is worth a 1st round pick. He would be a nice upgrade at WR2/3 though.

1. Even with the dead money you'd add to your 2013 cap and an early extension of Mallett's contract, you would still have $30 million more to extend the good, young nucleus of your team. 2. You would be able to add 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders to that nucleus over the next 2 drafts. 3. If your assessment of Mallett proves correct and he has good health, you have your QB for the next 12 years of so.

So, I ask you wise and intelligent members of this forum. Would you make this trade?

Trades in the NFL are as much about trading cap space as they are trading players. In this scenario, the Pats would get the four picks plus $20+ of the Browns cap space, which (as is alluded to above) might be worth more than the picks.

It's throwing power around for the sake of it. Nut loves to close threads to show everyone that he's a mod and has extra power. Just like putting "official" on the title of everything.

I wasn't trying to make a statement about his moderating, though I guess I did by accident. I just don't see the point in re-opening that thread. There were several members in that thread that showed they were completely incapable of even discussing the subject without have some sort of psychological breakdown.

You nailed it. I just love to go through deleting, merging, and closing threads just to show I have the power. :eek:
I have such a powerless life that coming here and doing that just makes me feel so powerful.:rolleyes:

JHC, where do you people come from? We have some complaints about too many trade speculation thread so we a set up ONE for that and now we have people like you speculating on the motives behind it.

One thing I do like to do is ban people from threads who hijack them for their own personal rant. It really makes me feel powerful.

Last edited:
At this point, not much "hyper" speculation is necessary IMO.

4-12, 8-8, even 9-7 for the Pats and you blow things up. Being that they won the division again and were close to glory, just tweak the team a bit.

Secondary needs work as well as adding some "enforcers" for the 'tude needed to combat the physical teams. Really that's it. Brady is in the budget...this is why you have the guy.

We don't need the green MBA coming in to change the world.

How about Tom Brady for Darelle Revis and Mark Sanchez?

You take yourself way too seriously, Nut.

Ah, come on ... take the Nutter seriously? Seriously? He's a ****ycat. Just tickle him under the tummy and listen to him purr ...

The Patriots did this very thing in 1976. It didn't even net them one playoff win. At the time, their replacement at quarterback was a pretty decent quarterback named Steve Grogan. Mallett is nowhere as good as Steve.

If I may offer a suggestion: how about moving trade threads to the Draft forum?

Ah, come on ... take the Nutter seriously? Seriously? He's a ****ycat. Just tickle him under the tummy and listen to him purr ...

Here is some insider information.

Ian did try to trade me to JI for SOOTHSAYER . But I wanted a long term deal with more power.;)

The Patriots did this very thing in 1976. It didn't even net them one playoff win. At the time, their replacement at quarterback was a pretty decent quarterback named Steve Grogan. Mallett is nowhere as good as Steve.

Very few people are advocating trading Brady now and starting Mallett. Only the usual suspects. Trading Brady now makes no sense as he's still at his peak and the team is built to win now. Trading Brady if at any point prior to his next contract with the team he begins to decline becomes an interesting topic.

Ok, I really don't get why mine was closed, it was way less touchy of a subject than the Brady thread.

If I may offer a suggestion: how about moving trade threads to the Draft forum?

Rather than moving them to the draft forum, which will be heating up. We will have them here and open. for people to post on them without moderation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes