PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official Richard Seymour is OVERRATED Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

National Sports Advisors

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I know I will get blasted for being "negative" again, but such is life. Richard Seymour just may be the most OVERRATED defensive player in football. Hands down. Everyone talks about Freeney on these boards like he is overrated, but at least that guy has an IMPACT on some games!! When was the last time Big Sey did ANYTHING during a game that the announcers or fans noticed???? The guy gets paid TOP DOLLAR to be a dominant defensive lineman. Dominant defenseive linemen get sacks, force fumbles, get hurries on the QB, shut down the run, etc.... I'm sorry, but would our defense miss this guy at all if he went down and Jarvis Green had to fill in?? Would we not miss Asante Samuel more? It's going to be a shame if we lose Samuel over money, when we are paying Big Sey a boat load of money and not getting the big time production that should accompany it. Big Sey might be a great guy and a team captain, but that does not excuse the fact that he is always hurt and does not give pro bowl level production when he is on the field.

I know I will get blasted for being "negative" again, but such is life. Richard Seymour just may be the most OVERRATED defensive player in football. Hands down. Everyone talks about Freeney on these boards like he is overrated, but at least that guy has an IMPACT on some games!! When was the last time Big Sey did ANYTHING during a game that the announcers or fans noticed???? The guy gets paid TOP DOLLAR to be a dominant defensive lineman. Dominant defenseive linemen get sacks, force fumbles, get hurries on the QB, shut down the run, etc.... I'm sorry, but would our defense miss this guy at all if he went down and Jarvis Green had to fill in?? Would we not miss Asante Samuel more? It's going to be a shame if we lose Samuel over money, when we are paying Big Sey a boat load of money and not getting the big time production that should accompany it. Big Sey might be a great guy and a team captain, but that does not excuse the fact that he is always hurt and does not give pro bowl level production when he is on the field.

Why do you even watch the games if all it brings you is misery? Get another hobby dude, you're always upset about something and the team is undefeated. Imagine if they lost some games.

Most overrated hands down? You might have some legitimate complaints, but your colorful use of hyperbole just makes you sound like a little b-tch. Hands down.

Last edited:
Why do you even watch the games if all it brings you is misery? Get another hobby dude, you're always upset about something and the team is undefeated. Imagine if they lost some games.

Upset? Bro, I have major concerns with this team. 12-0 doesn't mean anything. Look how the defense is playing. Are you confident that we can stop the Peyton Manning's and Tony Romo's of the world? Bro, we have problems. The 2005 Colts started off 12-0 too. How did they finish? People can sweep everything under the rug all they want, but our football team has some serious issues. Our defense doesn't tackle well, gets no pass rush far too much, and has become vulnerable to the run. This is not championship level defense. Big Sey needs to step up his game.

Most overrated hands down? You might have some legitimate complaints, but your colorful use of hyperbole just makes you sound like a little b-tch. Hands down.

Thanks for the contribution. You've added a lot of insight. Thanks.:rolleyes:

Upset? Bro, I have major concerns with this team. 12-0 doesn't mean anything. Look how the defense is playing. Are you confident that we can stop the Peyton Manning's and Tony Romo's of the world? Bro, we have problems. The 2005 Colts started off 12-0 too. How did they finish? People can sweep everything under the rug all they want, but our football team has some serious issues. Our defense doesn't tackle well, gets no pass rush far too much, and has become vulnerable to the run. This is not championship level defense. Big Sey needs to step up his game.

But not nearly the quantity and quality of problems every other team in the league has.
Who is playing championship level football right now, if not the Pats?
I would sure hate to read your posts if the team were, say, 9-3 and in a dog fight for the first seed.

All we need is one dominant win and the doubters go away. Perspective.

Forget about who the poster is or if this is overstated, but can anyone provide some insight for me on Seymour as well as the rest of the D line? I responded to someone last week re Seymour that his game, and the Pats system, has never been about numbers, which is true.......but a guy doing nothing would also have no numbers. It does seem as though there's something off there, and I'd welcome some insight. It's just so hard to analyze line play off these horrible tv broadcasts.

When was the last time Big Sey did ANYTHING during a game that the announcers or fans noticed????

I nominate this for STUPIDEST quote of the season. Maybe you determine on-field value by the number of times numbskulls like Kornholio mention his name, but most people don't. This is especially true of opposing coaching staffs that routinely devote multiple blockers to contain him. Oh, and also Seymour's peers, who routinely vote him to the Pro Bowl. On second thought, you're right. That obviously pales in comparison to a nod from John Madden.

What a surprise a thread like this coming from "National Sports Advisors". Exactly what sports do you give advise to? Are you a paid consultant?

That's quite the handle you have given to yourself as a user name. Mine describes me perfectly. But I'm wondering why such the loftly user name?

I nominate this for STUPIDEST quote of the season. Maybe you determine on-field value by the number of times numbskulls like Kornholio mention his name, but most people don't. This is especially true of opposing coaching staffs that routinely devote multiple blockers to contain him. Oh, and also Seymour's peers, who routinely vote him to the Pro Bowl. On second thought, you're right. That obviously pales in comparison to a nod from John Madden.

Stupid? If the guy was getting sacks, hurries, forcing fumbles, or shutting down the run, than we would all notice. Did he do any of that last night? Has he done anything all year? Puhleaze. The guy isn't playing like the pro bowler he is paid to be and you know it.

I think NSA is "Steve From Fall River".

Last edited:
You complain about performance but never state what you expected. What did you want to see from Seymour last night? Before you criticize someone for not meeting your expectations, you should state what those expectations are. Seymour might have had a tremendous game based on what was asked of him. Maybe he was asked to close up the middle...and the running game was always in the guard/tackle gap. Warren was quiet on the stat sheet but I thought he played well. The running game went away from him all game long and that seems like being effective to me.

Ok, this has gotten out of hand. Since you have nothing rational to say about anything Patriots, it's simply time for the ignore button.

How come everyone is ignoring the topic of my thread and taking their little 9th grade shots at me? What's the matter, can't find any excuses to excuse the lackluster play from our BIG MONEY defensive lineman?

Last edited:
If you're going to peg Seymour as overrated you best being saying Wilfork, Warren, Green, Thomas, Seau, Bruschi, Vrabel, Sanders, Harrison, Samuel, and Hobbs are as well. One game does not make a career.

Stupid? If the guy was getting sacks, hurries, forcing fumbles, or shutting down the run, than we would all notice. Did he do any of that last night? Has he done anything all year? Puhleaze. The guy isn't playing like the pro bowler he is paid to be and you know it.

I haven't been a Pats fan very long but wow...I sure hope the OP is the exception to all Pats fan...

Being critical of a player on your 12-0 team? jeeeze...

What's next? Critizing Brady for having less than 50% completion rate for last weeks Ravens game?

Have a little prespective dude...

Last edited:
I haven't been a Pats fan very long but wow...I sure hope the OP is the exception to all Pats fan...

Being critical of a player on you 12-0 team? jeeeze...

What's next? Critizing Brady for having less than 50% completion rate for last weeks Ravens game?

Wow, great. So we are 12-0 and EVERY PLAYER on the team is immune to criticism. Great. I wish I worked at Microsoft so I could mail it in everyday because the company was the best in it's field. Great logic. Thanks.:rolleyes:

Being critical of a player on your 12-0 team? jeeeze...

He's not a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill