PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The "Official" Report on Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

flutie2phelan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Alongside the wonderful camp reports from Pats1 and Karen,
Tom Casale has a very meaty write-up on the official website.

Some edited extracts:
Belichick was happy to be getting back to work and appeared pleased with the effort shown by the team after their first practice.
“It’s exciting to get back out to camp,†he said. “We saw some things in the spring and we’re hoping to build on that. The team has a good attitude and seems ready to work.â€

Who’s Hot: David Thomas – The rookie tight end continues to build on the momentum he gained from rookie and veteran mini-camps by putting forth another impressive performance on Friday morning. Thomas is smooth in everything he does. He runs his routes crisply and catches everything thrown his way. Thomas made a couple of nice grabs on the first day of training camp when he reached out and sucked in balls that weren’t perfectly thrown. Expect this rookie to get on the field and produce sooner than later.
Play of the Practice – This was an easy choice. ... no play got a bigger applause from the crowd than Reche’ Caldwell’s diving reception from Brady. The Pro Bowl quarterback lofted a pass down the sideline but at first glance, it appeared that he overthrew his intended target. However, Caldwell laid out for the ball and made a tremendous catch, beating cornerback Ellis Hobbs
The biggest shock may have been the release of Claridge. .... Many thought he had a decent shot at making the roster this year because the Patriots lack depth at inside linebacker. The team, however, obviously had other ideas because the 250-pound Claridge never even made it to training camp.
“We felt like it was in the best interest of the team,†Belichick said in regards to releasing Claridge. “We had other players competitively that were ahead of him on the depth chart.â€

John Stone was working with the special teams while the rest of the receivers were doing blocking drills. This may mean that Stone has set himself apart from some of the other receivers when it comes to contributing as a kick returner.
Rich Musinski showed some nice hands at receiver. At 5-11 and 210 pounds, the former Division 1-AA star is on the small side but he runs excellent routes and catches the ball very well.

http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=20148&pcid=44&special_section=trainingcamp2006

Sounds like Reche Caldwell's been doing a pretty good job since arriving at mini camp. Could very possibly be #2.

Last edited:
It's good to have an offical TC report as compared to the other unoffcial reports.:D

Kdo5 said:
Sounds like Reche Caldwell's been doing a pretty good job since arriving at mini camp. Could very possibly be #2.

#2?? Then, who is your #1 right now? Troy Brown?

Jackson - PUP
Deion - not around
By the way -- Stone - looked really good to me this morning - small but catches everything.

I meant for the start of the regular season.......................

Jacksons going to be in by a few days at the most.

Last edited:
Tom Curran provides a link to Ryan Claridge, if anyone is still trying to find out about that story.....

I thought it was very noteworthy that Brady talked about a new direction in camp this year, getting tough. Especially with the brutal Oklahoma drills.

Basically, Belichick is going back to being the guy the players used to call 'Doom'. No more Mr. Nice Guy.

I like it!

You got to love T-Buck. "I would have probably had about 90 tackles already playing free safety with the Saints." lol

patsfan13 said:
Curran's interview with Brady was very good. Lots of questions about Branch, he handled them very deftly right out of the BB playbook.

That was a complete press conference. Not Curran's questions only.
He posted the transcript in his blog.

I thought Belichick's quote about Claridge was very telling. Saying there were guys ahead of him that were performing better is about as candid as he gets. I feel like he is really disappointed in Claridge for one reason or another and like we discussed on this board before, I think there's a lot to this story we don't know about. Did anyone else think his remarks were a little telling or am I reading too much into it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back