PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official post-Colts game secondary/pass defense/Talib thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside of the pick 6 I thought Talib was average.

I will take average because with this offense that is all the secondary needs to be to be Super Bowl champions

I think they are 3/4 of the way to filling out the starting secondary (Dennard, Talib, McCourty), but I think the S2 and CB3 positions are going to be weaknesses all year long.

Agreed. If Dowling can come back and ever stay healthy and if Wilson can continue to improve that may not be as much of an issue next year, but for this year it will be.

Outside of the pick 6 I thought Talib was average.

I think that's fair, but "average" for a player who has been serving a suspension for the past month plus and just got dropped into a new team and new defense 2/3 through the season is pretty impressive, IMO.

There is a lesson here for our great head coach. While he is truly great he is also truly stubborn about some things. He has drafted player after player for the Pats secondary in recent years but they all really came out of the same cookie cutter especially at CB. He has needed to have a little less faith in his and his coaches ability to "coach em up" and a little more respect for pure athletic talent. Talib is closer to the kind of guy he needed to get for this secondary in amongst all of the secondary picks he used on guys that are more to his liking.

Agreed. If Dowling can come back and ever stay healthy and if Wilson can continue to improve that may not be as much of an issue next year, but for this year it will be.

It's too bad that they couldn't reel in Landry in the offseason. He'd have been a nice pairing for McCourty.

If Denard can improve at a good pace, I'll be satisfied with Talib, Denard at CB, McCourty, Chung at Safety. I don't expect them to be an elite secondary, but it can hopefully be an improvement over the last 1.5 years.

Denard's pick was nice cause he jumped the route, something we haven't seen much of. Talib's pick was easy -- it came right at him, but his run back was great.

I think they are 3/4 of the way to filling out the starting secondary (Dennard, Talib, McCourty), but I think the S2 and CB3 positions are going to be weaknesses all year long.

Hopefully Tavon can improve enough to solidify that spot.
Dennard and Talib are still wild cards IMO but today was very encouraging.

CB3 could be fine if Cole can grab it.

I thought the coverage by dennard/Talib was pretty good today...and, what it resulted in was the pats werent afraid to get aggressive with their front 7 because they were confident with talib/dennard

when the Patriots blitz, good things happen....we need to blitz the heck out of sanchez thursday

It's too bad that they couldn't reel in Landry in the offseason. He'd have been a nice pairing for McCourty.

100% agree.

It's always a bit tough picking on people after a great win. But Gregory doesn't seem to have it in the 2nd saftey position. I just don't know what his strength is? He has been taking poor angles to the tackle, He isn't a bruiser and he doesn't seem to have the range of McCourty. He just seems to be very military medium.

I want to see chung alongside McCourty only because i think he will be the lesser of two evils between him and Gregory.

Gregory nearly had at least one pick, he's not the answer going forward but he's serviceable.

If Denard can improve at a good pace, I'll be satisfied with Talib, Denard at CB, McCourty, Chung at Safety. I don't expect them to be an elite secondary, but it can hopefully be an improvement over the last 1.5 years.

Denard's pick was nice cause he jumped the route, something we haven't seen much of. Talib's pick was easy -- it came right at him, but his run back was great.

Dennard's int was a bad throw let's be honest... i am happy with his coverage on the play but it's not like the throw was on target and he jumped the route

"man, I would love for this to be my home"
-Talib

I think that's fair, but "average" for a player who has been serving a suspension for the past month plus and just got dropped into a new team and new defense 2/3 through the season is pretty impressive, IMO.

he looked sub average half the time today. But it was his first game..let's give him a few more games. He looked slow and winded at the end

Last edited:
"man, I would love for this to be my home"
-Talib

If you're willing to drink the Kool-Aid and keep making plays, so would we. ;)

All fair points patchick. I wonder, if Talib plays a similar role and performs it to the same level as Asante Samuel during his tenure will that be considered good enough for the 4th round pick trade? I'll vote a yes to that.

Last edited:
QB's are going to make throws. I'm just thrilled that I saw Talib and Dennard in the same TV frame as the Colts WR's even if they had made the catch. I love it when the Front Seven puts pressure on opposing QB's. Once that happens, these "perfect" throws are going to happen less, balls will be slightly off target and we'll see much more balls bat down or intercepted.

The biggest reason in my mind why the Pats have given up so many pass plays is a combination of a soft zone and a comfortable pocket for opposing QB's. I don't mind getting burned once in a while as long as we keep pressuring the QB by sending more than four.

Last edited:
Love the way the Pats defense in its entirety made Luck look like the rook he is. Clearly just based on the numbers Luck has put up for the season other teams have not exploited his youth the way the Pats coaches and players did on Sunday. Perhaps the Pats do know how to coach defense after all???:):)

Dennard's int was a bad throw let's be honest... i am happy with his coverage on the play but it's not like the throw was on target and he jumped the route

99% of all interceptions are on bad throws. Even though it was clear that Wayne and Luck weren't on the same page for that throw, Dennard was clearly in a position to make a play. That means he was with the receiver and looking back for the ball.

I think the biggest difference in this game was the pressure. Once Jones when down they started bringing rushers from the middle and the corner. The results were obviously great. Now the question is if this is a regular part of their package or a one time strategy for a rookie quarterback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes