PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The OFFICIAL Pats vs. Cowboys Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about holding the Cowboys' RBs to 2.6 YPC?

All-around impressive defensive performance against a team with legitimate weapons, on a day when the offense (for once) made their job mighty tough.

Edelman is their man for kick-offs. When he's healthy again, that's who will be out there.

I think that Slater is fine, but he definitely needs to work on keeping a hold on the ball.

I think Ridley did fairly well out there for his first time returning kicks at the Pro-level. He doesn't seem to be the long term answer, though, I agree.

I was surprised we didn't see Vereen out there, in all honesty.

This is something I have really been questioning. I am pretty sure Vereen returned kicks in college and he is faster than Ridley. I am puzzled by two things: 1) Why Fletcher isn't getting a chance to supplant Guyton 2) Why Ridley is returning kicks over Vereen.

Last edited:
I'm a big Fletch fan and this is a conundrum

I keep puzzling over it too. Toward the end of last year and in TC, it really looked like Fletcher had passed Guyton on the depth chart.

I am pretty sure Vereen returned kicks in college and he is faster than Ridley.

Yep, Vereen was a regular KR and PR for Cal....and as far as I can discern, Ridley never returned a kick in his college career. Quite the mystery.

I keep puzzling over it too. Toward the end of last year and in TC, it really looked like Fletcher had passed Guyton on the depth chart.

The only thing I can think of is that the thumb might be affecting his tackling or something. . . .

This is something I have really been questioning. I am pretty sure Vereen returned kicks in college and he is faster than Ridley. I am puzzled by two things: 1) Why Fletcher isn't getting a chance to subplant Guyton 2) Why Ridley is returning kicks over Vereen.

Vereen has not had his hands on the ball all season. No way should he have gotten any touches in today's close game.

The only thing I can think of is that the thumb might be affecting his tackling or something. . . .

Which would be a persuasive argument if Guyton being Guyton wasn't affecting Guyton's tackling.

Vereen has not had his hands on the ball all season. No way should he have gotten any touches in today's close game.

I'm sure he's touched the ball in practice. Has he suddenly forgotten how to touch the ball? Which game exactly will be the right one to get him touches? Seeing as how he hasn't touched it. The ball I mean.

Well first of all, Ridley returning kicks started last game. Second of all, it is kick returning. It is not like we are asking him to step in for Brady. Vereen has a lot more experience returning kicks than Ridley does, by the way.

Last edited:

This is the credited response. The staff trusts Ridley to get it out to the 20 or 25 and, more importantly NOT FUMBLE. They have no reason to trust Vereen to do the same.

Things are now back to where they are suppose to be.

NFL Standings - CBSSports.com

AFCE
Patriots 5-1
Bills 4-2
Jets 2-3 (LMAO)
Dolphins 0-4

Now I only think it's fair that the Fins win tomorrow night so they don't fall too far behind.:D

Last edited:
This is the credited response. The staff trusts Ridley to get it out to the 20 or 25 and, more importantly NOT FUMBLE. They have no reason to trust Vereen to do the same.

Other than the fact Vereen was a kick returner in college? I am pretty sure Vereen is up to the daunting task of getting the ball out to the 20 yard line. :rolleyes:

bos_a_patsts_200.jpg

-Enough can't be said about the defense. Everyone who was waiting for the attacking, aggressive defense got their wish today. We did give up yards and some drives but once again spectacular red zone play and forced a couple turnovers.

-Brady with another game winning TD drive, the guy never ceases to amaze me. Silly INT a couple drives before but when you're thrown into empty sets and running for your life almost every play those are bound to happen. I blame the playcalling.

- Which brings me to my next point, it's just mindboggling how we refuse to pound BJGE in certain situations. When your pass protection is getting abused like that and you're having success on the ground, there shouldn't be near as much shotgun as we saw out there. As much as I love Woodhead I couldn't have been more pissed to see him out there on certain plays. Our obsession with the shotgun formation WILL bite us in the ass in the playoffs if this continues. The more you put Brady's head on a platter the greater chance he turns it over or takes a beating.

- Also won't win too many games with that lack of ball security. Slater, shame on you, you barely touch the ball and you've already had 2 very costly fumbles (Steelers in '08 which pretty much blew that game open when we were very much in it). Hernandez as good as he is sometimes worries the crap out of me.

- When the hell are we going to see Vereen get some touches. At least on KO's... it's not like the others are having any success out there.

I was surprised the announcers didn't comment on the acrobatics! Quite the move for a 32-year-old, 255-lb. man who's just played 3 quarters of football. :)

That is an excellent point. In another year, you can easily envisage BB electing to go for it on 4th down. Today was actually very uncharacteristic for BB. But he trusted his defense , and they lived up to his expectations.

If they had not stopped Dallas on that last drive, imagine the second guessing -- beginning with BB's after-game Q&A.

Well, TBH, shame on me for saying swear-words at BB right there for punting.
:bricks:

I wouldn't talk about this before today's game and result BUT I was secretly lusting for the Pats to win, Buffalo to lose and all the pressure,media focus, attention and glare of the lights to be thrust on the Jets and their coaching staff.

A loss to winless Miami and ...imagine...can you imagine?....a holocaust in the NY press....the one supreme moment we have all been waiting for...the moment the NY press, like ravenous cannibals,descend en masse on bigmouth Wrecks and that pack of nonstop blabberfools.

What we saw this week is only a small tremor presaging the volcanic eruption....tomorrow night could prove to be the most entertaining meltdown we've seen in sports this decade.

I would like to know, if anyone can quickly access this info...but has any team made the playoffs after starting 2-4 ....just in this past decade?

How are people not mentioning the piss poor tackling...absolutely absymal.

Last edited by a moderator:
How are people not mentioning the piss poor tackling...absolutely absymal.

Well, isn't that just a matter of time before the donblacks and pushpencils et all start lamenting what a pathetic D we have and how BB is the cause for it? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back