PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official Pats-Jets post-game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2003 Miami Hurricanes would like to have a word with you then. That call cost them the national championship.

Seriously, don't pretend to know football if you're going to make idiotic statements like that.
What part of my statement are you just not understanding? I guess I have to say it again: No referee in the history of football had ever decided the outcome of a game by making the right call.

Maybe you should lern2read before you make idiotic statements of your own

Brady also had a hurt throwing hand - ring finger I believe.

Yea yea but there were several throws that a good number of QBs would have made that Brady simply didn't make. Part of being a good team is having depth. We could have beat the Jets but our QB didn't really do his part.

Hard to give 100% of the blame to Brady for the offensive woes when the O-Line plays like equine excrement... or in some cases isn't talented enough to play better than said excrement.

I've seen Brady play a lot worse than today and the Pats win...

They did, but they stopped doing so in Jets territory when the Jets were dropping EIGHT into coverage.

It's hard to justify running with 2 time outs left and 1:00 on the clock in between the 40s.

Not sure the play calling on the last offensive series of regulation is at fault here... Try a different tree.

No excuses, no blaming. The team that made the most plays won today.

New York was the better team on this day. The Patriots had their chances. Time to move on to Miami.

Not so fast please. I'd like to have someone explain why this team continues to go pass-happy even when they're having success with the running game and leading by 11 or more late in games. Pass-happy loses again.

Time of possession...Pats 23 minutes...Jets 46 minutes

there's a pretty good reason for a three point road loss.

Brady had another bad game throwing to open receivers.

Jones had 11 tackles, 9 solo, 2 sacks...Hightower and Spikes also had 11 apiece...Chris Jones had 10 tackles and 2 sacks.

5-2 at the break....a week to further work on the timing with this offense...the object is to win the division..they are one game up over the Jets, they need to sweep Buffalo at home and at least split with Miami.

right now this is not a very formidable offensive team...it's October. IF Brady is indeed slowing down, this offense will get worse not better, so let's revisit this whole issue in December. Health i9s the real key IMO.

The better team won today and we should be honest about that. Here's to no whining about refs, etc.

The rule may be dumb but it was there and the ST players needed to have been coached better. Tommy B has benefited from dumb rules before and we should complain now that one such rule is enforced. The game should have been closed out once the 11 point lead was established instead of having the O choke it up.

Let's be glad the team is at 5-2 and still top of the division. Miami losing today also helped! Now to regroup, get the injured players back, let Gronk get into a groove and kick some ass down the stretch!

Downs from the game

Tom Brady- QB appeared to zoom in on Gronk at times and over or under threw a great deal of passes. Did not recall seeing drops from the rookies. the INT was an ill-advised throw as well. Horrible 3rd down %. A day to forget.

O-line - The sight of Brady going down in sack after sack was disheartening. Wendell and Solder seemed to be culprits. Could not get the running game either in the 2nd half.

ST - Dumb mistakes and penalties (silly block in the back on the Edelman return)

Arrington - Seemed several steps behind Kerley and let the Jets establish their tempo early.

Hightower - Seemed lost on several occasion, esp when Smith was running.

Some Ups

Bolden - Nice hands catching passes for a change a good rushing TD.

Logan Ryan/Dennard - Great read on the Logan INT and the return. Dennard seemed draped over his men all day.

Ryan Allen - Really strong leg and did not really allow Cribbs to do any damange.

(upside for me- I will be getting so much **** done this work because I will be studiously avoiding any post game media coverage).

Forgot one UP - GRONK. It was really good to see him back, esp on that seam route. Great to see him blocking well too. Once he gets back to playing every snap, things should look up!

It's true. Brady's accuracy on deep balls in particular, but also short-intermediate throws, has been so far off that I really wonder if he's injured

This is nothing new. He can't throw the fade route or the deep ball--anything that requires touch. Only time he could make these throws was to Moss bc it was impossible to overthrow him and Moss would win any jump ball on an underthrow. Brady is one of the 10 best QBS of all time, but the touch pass has always been a weakness.

And I stand by the olines fault. Brady was getting hit and sacked alot this game. Of you get sacked 8times, do you trust your OL to hold the pocket for the wr's to open ? I wouldn't, I would go to a big reliable target. And gronk wasn't reliable.

On the deep throws Brady had time to throw. He is paid to take hits. Big Ben gets sacked all day...He isn't as good as Brady but he still throws the deep ball well. Brady needs to put in work!!!!

It's hard to justify running with 2 time outs left and 1:00 on the clock in between the 40s.

Not sure the play calling on the last offensive series of regulation is at fault here... Try a different tree.

No.

When a defense drops eight into coverage you're looking at opportunities to run 10-15 yards/carry. That beats throws to the flat (Bolden) and repeated deep throws at double covered receivers.

I don't want to hear about the refs. Bottom line, 11 point lead surrendered. 6 points in second half. brady has 8 touchdowns in 7 games. It's halfway through the year, and his offense is still garbage. It's a bit of everything, and frankly Brady isn't helping anyone. But all these problems can be credited to Belichick.

Re: Force the ball to Gronk much?

Should've gone to Edelman more. What happened to all the screens that they would throw to Welker? Edelman is way more talented with the ball in his hands than Welker...but the one screen Brady threw was a horrible pass...Edelman had to scoop it off the dirt and it was amazing he even turned that into a 3 yard gain.

Brady was off all day and there was no running game. Add that to horrible LB play and the likes of Cole in the secondary and you have a ****-storm of a game.

You're right about Brady, However, they averaged 4.5 ypc. They just chose not to use the running game even though they were successful with it. I thought they were past the pass-happy stage. Guess I was wrong.

So you're blaming BB for drafting a good player and playing him at a secondary position due to injury and circumstance?

Do you not see how your logic is faulty?

edit: There's plenty of stuff I like to blame BB for but this just isn't one of them.

No. He drafted a 3-4 MLB and played him as a 4-3 OLB. He didn't draft anyone who could play that man coverage role and when forced to put Hightower into that role, didn't change the scheme to accomodate his limitations. Those are all choices that BB made and I defer to his greatness. My point was, and still is, that those are BB's choices and it's not right to blame Hightower for the limitations that everyone knew he had anyway.

Dobson may not be a good short pass catcher, but you can tell he could be a good home run catcher if he gets a qb that can throw the deep ball accurately.

There are approximately 2 middle linebackers who are consistently not a liability in coverage and they both play in SF

Yeah right. Asking LBs to cover in todays league is obviously too much. Maybe Hightower just isn't good enough in that area.

I just don't understand the play calling in OT. Maybe somebody with a better memory can help on this. Why did the Pats go pass happy and neglect to try to run the ball at all? Did the Jets stack the box? Why no swing or screen passes?

The rush had an effect on the play. A good rush would increase a kickers chance of missing. If Jones move created pressure that the rule doesn't permit then so be it. What I don't understand is why the rule doesn't permit it.

It didn't have any impact. They didn't break through the line there.

Roses go to:

Gronkowski- Welcome back big guy. Couldn't ask much more of you given Brady's accuracy and Tom's reliance on you. 8 catches for 114 yards.

Chandler Jones - 11 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 TFLs, 2 QB hits. Except for the 15 yard penalty, great day.

Chris Jones- There is no way I'm going to give you grief for a penalty I haven't seen called this year on anyone, anywhere. 10 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 TFLs, 2 QB hits. Very good day Chris...keep up the good work.

McCourty - some great secondary play from the former CB saving a TD.

Ryan - Pick 6....some good secondary work.

Raspberries go to:

Tom Brady- pick 6 to kill Pat's momentum. Poor accuracy on the long ball. Two fumbles. Looking very unBrady-like today.

Cole - learn to tackle....just awful. When you get burned twice by the opposing team's QB running instead of passing that says a whole hell of a lot about you.

Offensive line (in particular Solder, Wendell, and Vollmer) - up until you decided to play in the 4th Quarter, you were truly offensive. Didn't open up the running game and played lazy in pass protection.

McDaniels - If he gets any more predictable i'm going to scream. Stop abandoning the run!

Ninkovich - Helloooooo....anybody home? One sack in 7 games? No QB hits, no sacks today....you were invisible.

Rookie receivers - Looked like rookies again today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes