PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots vs Titans POST game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st. Ninkovitch did his job as anyone with a clue could see.
I'm not going to kill Ninlovich, but his job wasn't to make zero plays. I can accept that part of his job was to maintain lane discipline in pass rushing due to the scrambling, but while that makes his pass rush job more difficult his job certainly wasn't to stand there getting blocked.

The Pats were in base almost all game which means the secondary were on their own. I remember exactly one blitz all game, which was Arrington on a corner blitz.
There was quite a bit of nickel today.
There was way more than 1 blitz, but I agree not a ton.

The secondary got beat overhead twice. One on a 4th and 1 with single coverage (there's a reason that there is not an Arrington island) and the TD that happened to take place when they lost pocket contain on Locker.
The secondary was pretty good, not great. Take away 2 drives (the first one and the 4 play 80 yarder and great is in the argument)

Hmm. The front 7 playing run and pocket contain and the secondary keeping the ball in front of them. Seems like a pretty solid game plan. And it seems like they executed it.

But just ignore the style of D they played and place blame on individuals for a few crummy plays here and there.

Oh, and Arrington was responsible for the INT. His head was turned around on that play.
Good points

Woodhead had exactly 6 touches. Cut the bum.
And at least 2 stood out as nice runs.

This wasn't a perfect game, but I would call it a well executed game.

I would not call your post well executed. D-, have a seat.

Nice finish.

Lloyd didn't light up the field today with 5 for 69...but he is only going to get better. He is going to help open up underneath sooo much this year for gronk and hernandez. I really wish they connected on that TD mishap. But it will come around

5 foir 69 per game is 80/1114
Making the catch he should have makes it something like 6 for 120

And when is the last time we had a receiver who can run a 27 yard out? And Brady drilled it as good as any QB can, so it hasn't been missing from the O because of him.

Last edited by a moderator:
5 foir 69 per game is 80/1114
Making the catch he should have makes it something like 6 for 120

And when is the last time we had a receiver who can run a 27 yard out? And Brady drilled it as good as any QB can, so it hasn't been missing from the O because of him.

A deep threat has been missing since Moss left. Someone who can burn the CB. And lloyd is that deep threat

Last edited:
WOW.. Total over-reaction on every point.
Yup

Woodhead did more than 2 yards and a dive. He got was was there for him to get.
Yup

You're 100% wrong on Arrington who only had ONE bad play, which was the TD to Washington, in which he attempted pass Washington off to Gregory. The problem was that Gregory and McCourty already had men in their zone. OH, I forgot to mention, Arrington was facing Locker the entire time, so his head WAS turned towards the ball.
Arrington also had a bad play on the 4th and 1, but he didn't turn his head only because he wasn't even close to the reciever. He was beaten, not in position and failing to turn his head. He did a nice job on the breakup that ended as an Int.

As I stated elsewhere, Ninko did his job the way others have against mobile QBs. That was to stand the tackle up and keep Locker in the pocket.
His job is not to get blocked and stand around. He gets a bit of a pass in that he probably was instructed that gap discipline was critical, and that makes pass rushing more difficult, but he wasn't instructed to get blocked and not make any plays.

Lets hear the rest of your over-reactions now.

Lets hope we do not.

Loads of good things to say about the team after this game (though the Jets probably feel the same way and the Bills don't)

Loved:
  • Run Defense
  • Third down defense seemed much improved
  • Running Offense
  • Brady's Arm strength is still impressive
  • Ridley - Running and Receiving
  • Offense is still trying to get synchronized -- gotta be a scary thought
  • Football has started

Confused
I just don't feel we should have a starting defender/CB returning kicks [McCourty]

A deep threat has been missing since Moss left. Someone who can burn the CB. And lloyd is that deep threat

"Deep threat" is overrated IMO, but a WR who can run every route effectively is a very good thing.
We now have one of those and a second playing TE in Gronk.

"Deep threat" is overrated IMO, but a WR who can run every route effectively is a very good thing.
We now have one of those and a second playing TE in Gronk.

See i don't think it's overrated at all. Say you had Welker and Edleman on the outside or Welker and ****ty chad johnson. it would make it tougher for gronk and hernandez IMO

But lloyd is a great route runner who catches everything with great speed and loves mcdaniels. Recipe for success

Last edited:
See i don't think it's overrated at all. Say you had Welker and Edleman on the outside or Welker and ****ty chad johnson. it would make it tougher for gronk and hernandez IMO

But lloyd is a great route runner who catches everything with great speed and loves mcdaniels. Recipe for success

You still have to cover the routes regardless of who runs them.
A 'deep threat' catches a handful of deep passes in a season and contrary to what some believe doesn't change the way a defense plays.
A COMPLETE receiver can dictate coverages, but when you have all of the weapons we do, you force a defense to play honestly and give that receiver room to operate.

No, they gave up 273 yards. You're not counting Hasselbeck's yards.

264 actually, but more importantly 284 yards of total offense.
In 2011 a defense allowing 284/game would have ranked 2nd in the NFL, and a team allowing 13 ppg would have been first.
What exactly are we criticizing?

As you might recall, Hobbs used to return kicks. We can hope Vereen is healthy for next week.

Confused
I just don't feel we should have a starting defender/CB returning kicks [McCourty]

Re: Patriots @ Titans Post Game Thread:

VEry impressed by our sure tackling.

Hightower to me was the most impressive rookie and one of the most impressive defenders overall.

Wilfork was awesome once again.

Ninkovich didn't do much. It'll be interesting if Cunningham ever supplants him as a starter.

Jones looked great defending the run, but aside from his sack, didn't really do much rushing the QB.

Ridley was great but our run blocking has to be commended for opening holes.

A 'deep threat' catches a handful of deep passes in a season and contrary to what some believe doesn't change the way a defense plays.

I bet they change how the secondary plays more than you think especially if you have two on the outside. 1 maybe not

I bet they change how the secondary plays more than you think especially if you have two on the outside. 1 maybe not

Well, we aren't going to agree on this, so we should probably move on.

Confused

I don't like it either especially if McCourty plays as solid as he was today (I'm of the crowd who felt he did decent). Hopefully when Vereen comes back they'll finally put him back there.

Rather than looking at Lloyd as a deep threat, I'd say that he threatens middle-deep. His ability to threaten the outside between 15-30 yards downfield is huge. Both abilities are game changers because of the amount of field they open up.

I did not say it loud or type it here, but I wanted Upshaw over Hightower, boy was I wrong. Hightower looks like he has been playing in the NFL. Not fair for Alabama to have had that on the field. He is too mature in his play and I now see why BB made all the moves he had to do to get him.
He is going to allow BB to be very flexible in a lot of things he wants to do.

Re: Patriots @ Titans Post Game Thread:

It was nice to see the offence in sync. It's not easy to go away on opening day and to a place as warm and humid as that and put up 34...and run for that much on what is a pretty stout team agains the run...granted they were missing Marks at DT.

Was nice to see Lloyd and Brady work like they did together. Bar that stupid play on the fake end around...where he looked over his wrong shoulder and lost sight of the ball placed to the outside...he was solid. He's not going to basked to do much more than that.

Welker deep doesn't work...dont know why we try it so often.

Ridley, Brady, Gronk, H-Bomb look like beasts as expected.

O Line was absolutely fine.

Defence was superb against the run but we have to get more consistent pressure. It wasn't good enough. Locker had all day at times.

Secondary barely put a foot wrong...I'm eating crow on the Wilson pick so far. McCourty had a very nice game too.

Tackling as a whole...phenomenal.

Refs were very good. Bar one missed call on the McCourty PI, couldn't fault them. They dealt with our hurry up very well.

Last edited:
Thank you Bill for taking out the trash:

Josh Barrett: useless
James Ihedigbo: worthless
Sergio Brown: clueless

The Three Stooges are finally gone! :D

Antwaun Molden - stay with the New York Giants!
Phillip Adams - stay in the "Black Hole" forever!

The old geezers can stay on the couch this season:

Shaun Ellis
Gerard Warren

I'm so happy, I think I'm gonna cry! (A real good Vernon Davis playoff winning catch balling is in order) :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back