PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots vs Jet game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Blaming the refs? Really?

See: Hobbs, Ellis 2006 AFCCG.

Didn't Gregory get called for something similar today?
Faceguarding??

Faceguarding??

He didn't turn around. No face guarding. Bogus call if you ask me.

I don't buy this "rules are rules" argument. You choose to apply this rule for the first f***ing time in OT? That is how comfortable your understanding of this new rule is as a ref that you are willing to call it for the first time ever at the most controversial time imaginable? Having this rule in place all year, you are f***ing telling me this is the first time the ref who threw the flag saw that violation all year? 7 weeks into the season the first time he saw this violation was at a point where calling it essentially creates a guaranteed OT win?

Something isn't right here.

It really is bad refereeing.

If anyone here doesn't realize that the ref was looking for that, that it was premeditated, you're fooling yourself.

It's week 7 receiver should know enough about the patterns and how to catch the ball. No more excuses it's all on the management and coaches for selecting the wrong people. There were some bad calls today but you have to play through them and win and the Pats didn't. Brady had 50% completion and the 50% that weren't catch were 75% bad passes and 255 dropped balls. I hate losing to the Jets. We didn't deserve to win this game so we didn't. We didn't deserve to win the NO game and we got lucky and won so they off set. We don't deserve to be 5-2 we should be something less but we were lucky. Brady needs a qualifies backup ASAP his age is showing.

I don't buy this "rules are rules" argument. You choose to apply this rule for the first f***ing time in OT? That is how comfortable your understanding of this new rule is as a ref that you are willing to call it for the first time ever at the most controversial time imaginable? Having this rule in place all year, you are f***ing telling me this is the first time the ref who threw the flag saw that violation all year? 7 weeks into the season the first time he saw this violation was at a point where calling it essentially creates a guaranteed OT win?

Something isn't right here.

I don't like the call but I refuse to blame the refs as I can't prove it happened in other instances during the game and they didn't call it.

It really is bad refereeing.

If anyone here doesn't realize that the ref was looking for that, that it was premeditated, you're fooling yourself.
Especially considering refs were recently told to be more strict on that penalty.

I don't like the call but I refuse to blame the refs as I can't prove it happened in other instances during the game and they didn't call it.

A number of running plays by both teams involved players "pushing the pile" so why weren't both teams flagged for this infringement multiple times?

It's week 7 receiver should know enough about the patterns and how to catch the ball. No more excuses it's all on the management and coaches for selecting the wrong people. There were some bad calls today but you have to play through them and win and the Pats didn't. Brady had 50% completion and the 50% that weren't catch were 75% bad passes and 255 dropped balls. I hate losing to the Jets. We didn't deserve to win this game so we didn't. We didn't deserve to win the NO game and we got lucky and won so they off set. We don't deserve to be 5-2 we should be something less but we were lucky. Brady needs a qualifies backup ASAP his age is showing.

The rooks didn't cost us the game. Brady didn't cost us the game. It all started with the oline and trickled down. Brady got consistent pressure and only threw to a big target. His int phobia and pressure made him lock onto gronk. This offense has to get better starting with the oline. Once that improves, the offense will improve. Brady had time= he drove (2 TD drives). When he didn't have time and was pressured, the offense failed. This is why we need a bail out short yardage guy. Not gronk, we need amendola. Watch for him to come back next week. The slot receiver will be key.

Brady lost this game forcing the ball to Gronkowski for that pick 6, swung the entire game the other way.

It was the right call on a penalty that is rarely called. I don't blame the refs for that. The push really didn't help the Pats and Folk would have missed whether he pushed or not.

I blame the player for doing something stupid on a play that all the Pats really had to do was not commit a stupid penalty. Even if he wasn't flagged, he gained no edge on that play.

I beg to differ on that. It was a play with the game on the line. You expect the player to do nothing but not commit a penalty? Seriously? I would expect him to do everything possible to block that field goal.

A number of running plays by both teams involved players "pushing the pile" so why weren't both teams flagged for this infringement multiple times?

I don't think the rule applies to running plays. If it does that the call was bogus.
I don't even know when that rule applies.

If "pushing the pile" is an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty then please enlighten me as to why pushing the pile on running plays are never flagged as such, seems this is a rule to "protect the players"?

" Pushing the pile' on offense isn't a penalty I don't believe, but pulling is, which happens often and is never called.

Great call on the FG by the officials..surprised they had to guts to toss the flag but props to them for sticking by the rule book..great exciting game all around though

I'm not going to blame the refs for that loss, the better team won today.

That said, it was a random ass call and an odd spot to call that in - a defense just busted their ass to make a big stop and you call something that really had no effect on the play. Usually in those spots refs tend to (should) swallow their whistles (see: last year's SB for example where SF's receiver was molested in the end zone and nothing is called). I think we all can agree that infraction on Baltimore aided them in stopping SF than this infraction aided us in stopping that FG. When a play like this is called to essentially hand the game to one of two teams that are busting their ass to win the game instead of letting them decide it on their own, it is extremely aggravating. So yes, the Jets deserve this win, but that referee really needs to be assessed.

They swallowed their whistle on the pass to Dobson on the previous series. He was interfered with. I understand it since it's OT, but then you're going to make that ticky-tack call.

Faceguarding??

No, Ellis didn't make contact. Gregory did.

While the wrong call was made on so many different levels, the Pats played very poor today.

Brady forcing passes, no running game, atrocious LB play. You name it and the Pats did it badly.

BUT, this does not mean Brady is on the downturn. Did you all forget the Saints game already?? Get a grip people. You can't win them all

The last TD drive aside Brady was horrible last week also!

If Gronk had snared that pass in the last drive before the levelling FG I think he goes the distance and scores a game winning TD.

Crap week ahead :(

As I said before football players are guilty of holding, jamming a receiver beyond 5 yards etc ,but is it called every time no. Unless the infraction is Blatantly obvious, you don't call it. that's was a bad way to end a game. Doesn't Matter if the call went against the jets or Patriots.

There is no such thing as faceguarding in the NFL any more. He got called, correctly, for pass interference as he ran into the receiver before the ball arrived. That wouldn't have happened if he'd turned around and made a play on the ball though.

As I said before football players are guilty of holding, jamming a receiver beyond 5 yards etc ,but is it called every time no. Unless the infraction is Blatantly obvious, you don't call it. that's was a bad way to end a game. Doesn't Matter if the call went against the jets or Patriots.
Just name one time a call like that goes against the Jets

There is no 'face guarding" penalty. It has never been a rule. It was made up on the fly by some ref in that game. Hobbs has the letter of apology from the league to prove it.

Is that what they called on Gregory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye