PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots vs. Bills Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
McCourty had his eyes on the ball the entire play and ran into the WR by accident (that's why he was also shaken up on the play). A very poor call by the line judge.

I think Fitzpatrick felt the same way, and he also was concerned about Gronk's record, so he threw another one to make up for it. OTOH, with the ball at the 10 yard line, the pass that broke the yardage record for Gronk would have been a touchdown, which meant he also would have tied Moss's record for most receiving TDs in a player's first two years. Oh well, I'm not all that broken up about it. :D

just caught this tweet, hadn't noticed. interesting

NFLfootballinfo Michael Signora
Year of comeback continues. NE win is 11th time this season team trailed by at least 17 & won - most such wins in season all time

just caught this tweet, hadn't noticed. interesting

NFLfootballinfo Michael Signora
Year of comeback continues. NE win is 11th time this season team trailed by at least 17 & won - most such wins in season all time

As others have noted, even when we get behind we don't just give up. Now if only we didn't get behind in the first half.

So many great moments today, but the funniest one (a little OT) was when they played a clip of Sanchez throwing a pick at the end of his game on the jumbo and everyone cheering haha. What a fitting play by him towards the end of his last game!

Watching these tight ends play simply puts a :D on my face! Hernandez looked great out there as did the beast of course! I still think AH should be the second TE going to Hawaii this year.

I thought TFB looked great most of the time but a little skittish at others. ( what was up with his equipment, right before one play he ripped off some pads and just threw them behind him on the field. Prior to that possession he was having some issues on the bench with it, was just curious)

As someone else mentioned, the Law Firm looked VERY fast on that little dump off that went for 63 yards. Was nice to see that play right after watching the deep incompletion to Ocho.

Just a few points there from a game that was filled with great highlights. A come from behind thriller filled with takeaways and a plethora of nice scores is always fun to watch :rocker:

As others have noted, even when we get behind we don't just give up. Now if only we didn't get behind in the first half.

Always better than the opposite happening :D

Always better than the opposite happening :D

I know, right?

As unhappy as I feel when they are 17+ points down, I vastly prefer this method to losing a 21 point lead in the second half.:cool:

I can't even speak on this pats team anymore.

Just win baby!!

Ok, so BB said the turnaround was nothing more than playing better. Gronk said something to the effect of turning on the switch.

Is that really it? Playing better? Turning on a switch? If so, can they please turn the damn thing on after the coin toss or something?

That was definitely a poor call, but the one that really baffled me went the other way, after the Buffalo INT. How could Florence be called for anything like roughing the passer once the passer was playing defense? The ref specified that it was a hit on the quarterback, but isn't that designation moot at that point? Looked like a perfectly normal downfield block.

By definition, the quarterback is a defenseless player on the runback after an interception.

Sciz is correct. This is a new rule (drafted with the new CBA). The quarterback is automatically a defenseless player after a change of possession, so any intentional contact will result in a personal foul.

Wow.. What a can of whoop-***** the Pats opened after the 1st quarter.

Great job with the running game. Ridley is looking to be a steal from the 3rd round.

WB Sterling Moore. Great to have you out there. Great instincts.. Good tackling.

Antuan Molden went from goat to Hero with his game ending interception.

Arrington got robbed. McCourty didn't hit a "defenseless" receiver. He didn't lead with any part of the helmet and hit the guy in the upper chest/shoulder area, not the head. That penalty should not nullify interceptions. The penalty should have been tacked on from the spot of the foul at worst.

Hey Arrington, LOOK FOR THE ******* FOOTBALL.

I just can't understand how the Pats D can look soooooo awful early and then rise up. I wonder if BB and MP are deliberately tanking the early parts of the game, via game planning, to build up the O's rep, intimidate opponents, and to get the team tougher. Seems unlikely, I know, but that's how extreme the past couple turnarounds have looked to me. And a few misses by Bills receivers didn't help.

I just can't understand how the Pats D can look soooooo awful early and then rise up. I wonder if BB and MP are deliberately tanking the early parts of the game, via game planning, to build up the O's rep, intimidate opponents, and to get the team tougher. Seems unlikely, I know, but that's how extreme the past couple turnarounds have looked to me. And a few misses by Bills receivers didn't help.

I'd give it about 0% chance.

HUH??? Arrington was looking for the ball. And, even if he hadn't, it had nothing to do with the interception being over-turned..

HUH??? Arrington was looking for the ball. And, even if he hadn't, it had nothing to do with the interception being over-turned..

When did I mention a specific play? He has been awful at looking for the ball. Some guy named Belichick only mouthed "Look for the ******* ball" after Arrington continued to do it today.

When did I mention a specific play? He has been awful at looking for the ball. Some guy named Belichick only mouthed "Look for the ******* ball" after Arrington continued to do it today.

You said it in response to my mentioning about the over-turned interception. If you didn't mean then, then you shouldn't have quoted me.

BTW, BB said it several times today. Not just at Arrington.

You said it in response to my mentioning about the over-turned interception. If you didn't mean then, then you shouldn't have quoted me.

BTW, BB said it several times today. Not just at Arrington.

I just quoted you since you made the thread and mentioned him. I seem to be yelling at Arrington every week because he doesnt look for the ball, and it's not just him. I'm a former CB/SS so I get a little annoyed at the little things in the seconday I see that I was taught. Some guys in this secondary have shown such a lack of ball skills.

Sciz is correct. This is a new rule (drafted with the new CBA). The quarterback is automatically a defenseless player after a change of possession, so any intentional contact will result in a personal foul.

Just as a minor point, the CBA generally does not cover game rules; that is the doing of the Competition Committee, whose proposals are subject to votes by owners. It may have been done at the same time, but I don't think it was something the NFLPA demanded during negotiations.

Wow.... what a surprise. Another negative post from you. :rolleyes:

I'm actually not all that worried about the D play today for a couple reasons.

Overall, I think they played pretty well. They actually made the 3rd down stops they needed to early on, but Buffalo threw out a couple gimicky "go for it" prayer plays that caught us napping. Teams WON'T be doing fake punts and going for 4th and 4 in the post-season unless it's desperation time. 14 points came off those two plays which we can say wouldn't have happened except Buffalo had nothing to lose. Beyond that, we held them to 7 points, which we then got back with a pick 6

Next, our defense is what it is. Might as well get used to it. It's gonna give up gobs of yards but then come up with a timely Interception, fumble or otherwise big play when we need it. Might as well embrace it. I almost think that the giving up all those yards early seduces mediocre QB's and OC's into getting a little too greedy. Fitzpatrick was playing all world in the first quarter and then just kept slinging it downfield and eventually it caught up to him in a major way. That's happened a few times this year.

I actually feel good headed into the playoffs this year. One, I think this team has some moxy that it has lacked in years past. Also, I'm looking to the Divisional round, we're gonna face either Cinci, Denver or the squeelers. The first two don't scare me even a little bit, and this Steelers team is sketchy at best. They have at least as many issues as we do. Plus we own them in the postseason.

Teams WON'T be doing fake punts and going for 4th and 4 in the post-season unless it's desperation time. 14 points came off those two plays which we can say wouldn't have happened except Buffalo had nothing to lose.

Good to know.
Is that also in the CBA?

To be less snarky, that in fact is what was featured in a couple playoff games last year. The year before the Saints executed a suprise onside kick in the Super Bowl against the Colts. Some of us here remember the fourth-and-two against Indy in the past.

When facing offenses like these - Green Bay, New England, Indy in the past - teams often resort to plays like this to keep the offense off the field.

Those plays - especially the fake punt - should wake up the special teams. Key in better on the up men. Are they facing the sidelines in a pure blocking stance, or aligned toward the center?

Some thoughts on the game:

First, it's far better to be complaining about how they win than how they lose. Amazing, after a decade plus of Brady and Belichick, that our expectations have become so high.

The inconsistency is stunning. Once again, on the first several drives Brady's accuracy was terrible. Throwing at feet, mis-communications on in-cuts vs. out-cuts - even between Brady and Welker. The defense can't tackle, can't defend a pass, can't rush, bowls over receivers on third down on poorly thrown balls. And then everything turns around.

There have been very little back-and-forth battles. It's all terrible or all powerful. Against these last half-dozen teams, the Patriots have had the ability to get right back in these games when they stumble and shut the other team down.

The two TE's the Patriots have are a pretty unique weapon. I can't remember a team having two TE's that are so unstoppable as receivers. They beat linebackers, and overpower DB's. Teams just are not built to stop two TE's like this. Congrats to Gronk on the records. I have to say I was surprised to see Belichick play for the stats - the one last throw to Gronk was reportedly because the team was following Jimmy Graham's receiving yardage in realtime, and wanted to get the record for Gronk. I thought stats were for losers, and we just care about winning, but Belichick was right on the sideline cheering for Gronk.

The flip side: when was the last time only ONE wide receiver had a reception in a winning game? Anyone notice Tiquan Underwood was on the field for over two dozen plays? No? Wonder why? Branch, Ochocinco, Edelman, Underwood, 0-for-the-game. Of Brady's 24 completions, 21 went to Gronk-Hernandez-Welker. Hopefully they can work on getting a second receiver open.

On offense, nice that Cannon is getting some action. He's a limited tackle, but good in the power game. Hopefully he can contribute as a mauling guard next season.

Amazing this season, while the Patriots have really struggled to rush the passer on most plays, that they have generated two double-digit passers for the first time in over 25 years. Really too bad they won't be playing together in the post-season. If Carter is healthy, I'd like to see them both back.

I know we've been waiting for the return of Chung and Spikes. One solo tackle between the two - after the Chung hit on Happy New Year, I didn't much notice either. I'm glad that they are healthy, and hopefully they will be ready to go in two weeks. It was funny hearing Criqui repeatedly call Chung the Patriots' best DB, but I guess he's right.

A big thanks to Detroit. With Stafford throwing for 520 on Green Bay, the New England pass defense is only the second worst in the history of the NFL. If Green Bay and New England meet again in the Super Bowl, that could be a highly entertaining game for any fans of offense.

Going into the playoffs, the team will be without Carter, Vollmer, Bodden, and probably Mankins from the starters at the beginning of the season. That's not too bad, historically.

Nice win, nice season. The team should be serious favorites over Pitt/Cincy/Denver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back