PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official Patriots offseason thread [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: ***The offseason thread***

No it wasn't, it was the fact that our secondary was so bad. It was horrendous and hence the problem we had last season. It wasn't a primary issue on defense last season at all. Did you watch how bad our secondary was? I agree with you're notion about the linebackers getting pressure, which was inconsistent, but wasn't the main problem with the defense such as you are stating. Point me out another game that the Tight Ends were used or targeted affectively? Oh wait, there wasn't one. IT ISN'T ONE OF OUR PRIMARY NEEDS!!! WE WON"T BE DRAFTING HIM!!!

Maybe maybe not, again hes not my first second third fourth fith or even sixth choice but I wouldnt be surprised. I dont want a to bump a thread from last year but youve got a Nov 2009 join date so I suggest you go back and look at the pre and post draft threads. Everybody and their mother wanted a linebacker but nobody could agree who it shouldve been. Yes Corner was another need but a pass rushing linebacker was the main concern. You can have a prime Dion and a prime Champ in your secondary it dosnt matter if the qb has all day.

Why does Darius Butler fail your test?

As of right now , he is not the shut down corner.. they blew it with Assante Samual... was he worth the money???? No... But its not Darius Butler either...

IMO 70% of football is preventing pressure on your quarterback, and pressuring the other team's quarterback. The Patriots simply aren't getting either done at the level needed to be an elite team. Fixing this should be #1 on their list this offseason.

Last edited:
Re: ***The offseason thread***

Maybe maybe not, again hes not my first second third fourth fith or even sixth choice but I wouldnt be surprised. I dont want a to bump a thread from last year but youve got a Nov 2009 join date so I suggest you go back and look at the pre and post draft threads. Everybody and their mother wanted a linebacker but nobody could agree who it shouldve been. Yes Corner was another need but a pass rushing linebacker was the main concern. You can have a prime Dion and a prime Champ in your secondary it dosnt matter if the qb has all day.

I agree and I stressed that point last season as well on another site. I disagree with you that it was the main concern. Our secondary I believe was the main concern. Anyway, let's get back to this offseason shall we?

I have to agree with a lot of you is that a key factor to our demise all year has been our lack of a pass rush. Mediocre QBs looked like ProBowlers because they had all day to sit back and pass; the fact that our secondary was so inconsistent did not help one bit (the biggest disappointments I feel were Darius Butler and Wilhite - they literally looked awful at times). The LB crew was better than I thought they would be this season honestly, but weren't great either. I think we really need to look for a veteran DE and need to keep Wilfork, those are huge. Like it has been mentioned, Brady isn't getting any younger, nor is Randy Moss. Drafting this year and next is great, but by the time those players develop, your talking about 2012/2013 for another great run. These problems need to be addressed ASAP.

A 3rd WR is essential. And Mauroney, I'm mixed about him; he will never be more than an average RB and won't live up to his expectations when originally drafted. Those are my 2 cents. :confused:

Re: Issues with this team and fixes

This Pats team was very inconsistent this year, and just not very good at points.

1) Moss and Welker need some help. Moss had a great 07 season because he was single covered a lot, now he usually isn't. Welker does good because of Moss and vice versa, but after that there is no one who can do much. Edelman showed us he can replace Welker while he rehabilitates, but we don't have any other threat. While Donte Stallworth didn't do much while he was here, he was a respectable receiver who could make a play. Sam Aiken, Isiah Stanback aren't useful guys. I'm not saying get a guy like Boldin or Marshall, but someone who is a decent WR, not a srub.

2) No running game. This offense is so unbalanced, and the running game is not very good. We need to draft a good RB who can bang the ball like a Ray Rice or MJD. This team needs some balance so that they can pass out of more formations than just the shotgun and work the play action. Not sure how this could be addressed this offseason.

3) No pass rush. This team just couldn't pressure the QB and that has been the story of the past two seasons. For one reason or another, no one can make a play. Julius Peppers would be a huge addition to this pass rush.

4) No pass rush = bad secondary. Meriweather had a good season as did Leigh Bodden, but there is no real playmaker on the back end, like a Harrison or Law. Shutdown corners are hard to find, but we had one and let him go. Can't do that again. Also, with a lack off pass rush, the secondary is more exposed.

5) No playmakers on defense. This defense has no playmakers, and it shows. When teams have playmakers, even the guys who are scrubs can make a play because people around them are making plays, we don't have that.

6) Minor issue, but Chris Hanson is a terrible punter. When we need a big boot he comes up lame, would like to see a guy with a bigger leg, but he will probably stay because he's the holder.

7) The Oline needs a few tweaks. Neal can't stay healthy, Kazcur is not very good although he did sign an extension. Vollmer is the future at LT and Light could move over to the right side.

Overall, I really think this team is just a few players away from being an elite team again. They have a lot of picks, an uncapped year, and some money to throw around.

My moves personally would be....

Re-sign Faulk
Re-sign Wilfork
Re-sign Bodden
Re-sign Gostkowski
Sign Tony Scheffler as a pass catching/blocking TE
Sign LenDale White as a goalline bruiser back
Sign Lee Evans as a 2nd/3rd WR when Welker is back
Sign Jason Taylor as a OLB
Trade for Julius Peppers to play DE/OLB hybrid
Sign Keith Bulluck to play MLB with some veteran leadership

QB Brady
RB Morris/Taylor/White
TE Scheffler/Baker
WR Moss/Edelman/Evans/Welker

DL Wilfork/Warren/Peppers
LB Mayo/Taylor/Banta-Cain/Bulluck
DB Bodden, Springs, Meriweather, McGowan/Sanders

I like your ideas, but Morris/Taylor/White is pretty weak. Frankly, I'd rather keep Maroney than Morris.

Here is what is wrong with this team:

#1 The play of the offensive line

I honestly think that after the 18-1 season and the Superbowl against the Giants the o-line has taken a tremendous beating that they have never really recovered from. This combined with the fact that none of these guys are getting any younger means that there are some serious holes developing in the Patriots pass protection. Whether they fix these holes with some free agents or through the draft, it needs to be done before anything else is addressed on this team. The bottom line is that if they fail to protect Brady, they will continue to lose big games and Brady will continue to get injured.

In addition, I think the Patriots mediocre run game has less to do with twinkle toes Maroney, and more to do with the fact that the o-line isn't opening up enough holes on a consistent basis against good teams.

#2 Lack of a pass rush

The Patriot's pass rush sucks. Period. If they want to continue to run the 3-4 they are going to need to find some linebackers that are worth something. Which pretty much means getting rid of everyone not named Jerod Mayo or Tully Banta-Cain. A pass rushing defensive end wouldn't hurt either.

#3 Coaching/Player Personnel turnover

The Patriots need to find a way to get some coaches that are going to stay here for more than two seasons. Right now Belichick is pretty much the head coach, defensive coordinator, offensive coordinator, and director of player personnel. While he may be a football genius, this is just simply too much for one man to handle. This may be one of the hardest things to address since the new NFL blueprint on rebuilding a franchise seems to be "poach New England's coaching staff for talent". The only solution might be for Kraft to open his checkbook up and overpay someone to stay put. Whatever they do, they need to make sure that they get Belichick some help. Dean Peas is not cutting it.

While I think this team and organization is still one of the best in the NFL, they are step below the truly elite franchises and will continue to be until these things are addressed. Finding a decent running back, or a shut down corner, or another WR isn't going to mean **** if these things aren't fixed first.

Last edited:
I'm not the foremost authority in this armchair GM stuff, but here's what I see. Keep in mind I'm mostly venting.

QB

Not a concern. It'd be more comforting to see another backup along with Hoyer just in case. Thanks to that MF'er Pollard I've learned not to take anything for granted with this team, at any position.

RB

Something needs to change here. Faulk remains the only reliable RB in this offense, and that's as one of Brady's safety valves. Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris weren't utilized much more either today, but one turns 34 in a couple of weeks and the other is a 32-year-old fullback/halfback hybrid type.

We have now seen Maroney through four professional seasons and the time for excuses has come and gone. He is not a reliable workhorse RB and never will be. 63.1 all-purpose yards per game is his career average... that's nice, if you're Antowain Smith (who BTW averaged more total YPG in his Patriots career). How many more times is Maroney going to get a mulligan here before it's acceptable to say the guy is a first-round bust? Shouldn't we expect more from a guy like that by his fourth season? DeAngelo Williams, Joseph Addai, and Maurice Jones-Drew were all taken after him, and all are enjoying more successful careers. It's clear that Maroney will never have the impact that Curtis Martin, Corey Dillon, or even Antowain Smith had. I'm tired of waiting for this guy to blossom.

My only concern is I don't see an immediate solution. It's not like we'll find a guy like Ray Rice to fall on our lap.

WR

Team let Jabar Gaffney and Kelley Washington walk and replaced them with Joey Galloway and Greg Lewis, both of whom they let go before the halfway mark of the season. This position has had mixed results in their evaluating of it over the years. For every Deion Branch and David Givens we drafted, we've had Bethel Johnson and Chad Jackson. For every Randy Moss and Wes Welker traded for, there's Doug Gabriel and Greg Lewis. For every David Patten and Jabar Gaffney signed, there's Donald Hayes and Joey Galloway.

There are two young wideouts I'm excited for next season, Julian Edelman and Brandon Tate. But even with them, Moss will need help while Welker heals up. Sam Aiken should NEVER be involved prominently in the offense.

TE

Benjamin Watson, like Daniel Graham before him, has failed to produce like the first rounder he was picked as. But Graham had the reputation as an elite blocker, Watson doesn't. He no longer excites me as a weapon on offense but we could do a lot worse I suppose. He's a decent NFL starter. Chris Baker was a non-entity and won't be more than a backup. Pissed me off to see David Thomas do more for the Saints in one season than he did for the Pats in three, but you just had the sense he was never going to get it here. I really wish the Pats could've got Tony Gonzalez somehow, price tag be damned. He would've been perfect for this offense.

OL

Our turnstile of a left tackle has to go. Goodbye Matt Light, hello Seabass. Neal may be hanging them up too, which means the team needs a guard. And I would prefer someone at RT that didn't suck (see: Kazcur, Nick).

DL

I don't see this unit as a problem. Wilfork is an elite NT, and Warren and Green should be considered at least above-average. Wright played better than I expected from him in relief duty, and the jury is still out on Brace.

LB

For a highly paid veteran, Adalius Thomas was a disappointment, both in performance and attitude. I will be shocked if he isn't moved this offseason. Mayo wasn't as good this year as I had hoped he would be. I also don't think Guyton should be starting, but rather an excellent backup. Glad to see TBC come back strong, but he can't be the only guy who can pass-rush. I wasn't impressed with this group overall though. It's tough for Mayo to lead this group. Also, I feel terrible for Seau. It just seem to never be in the cards for the guy to get his ring.

DB

Wilhite and Wheatley weren't exactly the next Asante Samuel and Eugene Wilson. The term JAG comes to mind. Springs is a stopgap option at best and at his age, wouldn't be good for this team as a starter next year. I have high hopes for Butler. I like Bodden too. I'm hesitant to criticize Meriweather (as he was a Pro Bowler) except for one thing, he doesn't strike me as the classic "I will rip your head off and **** down your neck!!!" safety like Rodney Harrison, John Lynch, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, or Brian Dawkins. Don't get me wrong, he must put in some good licks as he didn't get the nickname "Hitstick" at the U for nothing, but I'm just not seeing it. I'm not seeing him as someone other teams fear. You don't replace him, he's the most valuable member of the secondary. What I'm saying is you get him help. But again, I don't have an easy answer to that.

ST

A better punter than Chris Hanson would be nice. Other than that, no complaints here.

Coaching/Personnel

Bill Belichick needs to stay obviously. Everyone else needs to be put on notice. It almost seems like the staff is so diluted after losing Weis, Crennel, Mangini, Pioli, and McDaniels, that it's finally caught up to them.

Last edited:
BoTown -- nice post. I agree with many parts except Eugene Wilson was a JAG who fit in nicely with all the other defensive weapons at the time.

Chris Baker has been noted in this thread.

Did he play for us this year?

What is it that he does well?

Run routes?

Block?

Catch?

Even as a try to hurt the other team signing Chris Baker sucks even for the vet minimum.

Get some new offensive and defensive coordinators to bust heads with Bill. First he has fallen behind and then he fell asleep there.

Learn Run blocking. The Pats can´t open any gaps. Nevertheless find a better running back to at least compete with Maroney. Some teams are three deep and the Pats can´t even find one good young back. Is Tashard Choice a FA?

Use the Tight Ends. Baker and Watson are different players, but both have some talent. That the Pats refuse to use the TE more and add some unpredictability to their offense is a mystery to me, especially when you only have one deep threat and no running game to speak of.

Get another deep threat at WR.

Throw money at Cribbs. He´s the greatest X-Factor in the game.

Not sure the secondary is truly a big problem on defense. If you can´t put pressure on the QB, you are a sitting duck for all the good QBs.

Unfortunately I think there are too many personal problems everywhere for the Pats to fix the team and turn it around.

BoTown -- nice post. I agree with many parts except Eugene Wilson was a JAG who fit in nicely with all the other defensive weapons at the time.

Eugene Wilson played for the Texans, not the Jaguars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back