The Official Patriots Draft (Day 1) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Today is the big day!!!!

Please post all of your pre, post and during the draft comments and discussions for the Patriots draft on this thread.

This will save a whole lot of merging.

Let's all hope that the draft goes exactly the way I want it to go.:D

Happy Draft Day!

Re: The Official Patriots Draft (day 1) thread.

Today is the big day!!!!

Please post all of your pre, post and during the draft comments and discussions for the Patriots draft on this thread.

This will save a whole lot of merging.

Let's all hope that the draft goes exactly the way I want it to go.:D

Happy Draft Day!

[Vader]Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo![/Vader] :p

Last edited:

Anyone know if it's going to be streamed online anywhere i am sans cable right now

Past experience leads me to believe that despite this team's obvious need of young playmakers, we will draft Maurkice Pouncey or Mike Iupati or slide back by trading the pick. My wife hates draft day because I always end up swearing at the tv when our picks come up and wondering aloud why we always keep worrying about next year when our team is becoming older and less productive every year. Just seems like every year recently, we continue to ignore our playmaker needs and fiddle around picking up future picks or making picks in areas where we are not exceptionally weak. The exception is when we were able to draft Mayo early and he is our best young player by far. This team needs a fast, athletic pass rusher (OLB or DE), a young stud WR, or even Jermaine Gresham in the 1st round and then needs to keep working to fulfill those needs by using all 3 picks in the 2nd round. Even a RB might be nice in round 2. This is the deepest draft in years and we need to stop the backslide that the Pats have been on and try to infuse the team with young talent in the next 2 days.

Counterpoint to that:

Maybe this is the year we've been trading up for because owners were not going to extend the current CBA and we knew this would be a deep draft. so we wanted to have more picks for this draft.

Or

Maybe the picks are for next year when we can have a slew of #1's and a rookie salary cap will be imposed and you are in for 1 more year of dealing down :p

If Odrick is available when we pick, I sincerely hope we take him. Either him or Brandon Graham. I really like Golden Tate as well. He can line up split wide, in the slot, or out of the backfield. He's bright, has played in a similar system before, and is quick. He needs to work on his route running but the kinks can be worked out through the course of the year. At TE, I would like to see Pitta (though I think Indy might grab him) or Gresham, but I doubt we're going TE in the first round.

Though I doubt that many, if any at all, of my picks are going to get drafted (they didn't last year), I hope this draft ends up as well as the 2009 draft did.

Draft day starts tomorrow. Pats trade DOWN in a deep draft. 100%

Draft day starts tomorrow. Pats trade DOWN in a deep draft. 100%

I believe there's been a thread posted in the Draft room (page one) that says trading out of the first round is EXTREMELY rare under Belichick. He's only done it four times in all of his years as a head coach and, on one of those occasions, only had to because the team gave up a first round pick to the Jets in order to get him as a head coach.

I believe there's been a thread posted in the Draft room (page one) that says trading out of the first round is EXTREMELY rare under Belichick. He's only done it four times in all of his years as a head coach and, on one of those occasions, only had to because the team gave up a first round pick to the Jets in order to get him as a head coach.

Agreed. There will be an outstanding talent at #22 to justify a selection. Pats have enough needs at WR, OLB, DT/DE, TE and the secondary to take the best available.

I see a ton of moving around in the 2nd round though. Historically, that seems to be BB comfort-zone IMO.

True, time for the tradition to end. Deep draft, it will happen. 4 x 2nd round picks, we use all of them. and we gain a 3rd rounder.

Last edited:

If Odrick is available when we pick, I sincerely hope we take him. Either him or Brandon Graham. I really like Golden Tate as well. He can line up split wide, in the slot, or out of the backfield. He's bright, has played in a similar system before, and is quick. He needs to work on his route running but the kinks can be worked out through the course of the year. At TE, I would like to see Pitta (though I think Indy might grab him) or Gresham, but I doubt we're going TE in the first round.

Though I doubt that many, if any at all, of my picks are going to get drafted (they didn't last year), I hope this draft ends up as well as the 2009 draft did.

You really like Odrick, eh? I guess I'm a little skeptical of Penn State linemen. In the interest of full disclosure, I haven't really watched any tape on him so my reflexive aversion is based on little other than my personal bias.

I love Brandon Graham and Golden Tate, though. Either of those guys (or both!) I would be very happy with. I guess it depends if BB feels Graham's diminutive size is a liability for the system, and whether he'll even be on the board at 22.

I've gotta work from 3 till 11 tonight so I will miss most of the first round. I must remember to send my wife a link so she can tell me what's going on when I call for updates! :)

Why not use the Green Bay conservative approach and use all the picks. This would be a great way to offset all of the flashy additions made by the Jets and Miami. If we could grab 4 of the top 53 players in this deep draft, it might be a watershed year for us and allow us to build from within rather than signing "older" and flashier players like the Jets and Dolphins. I wish they would quit worrying so much about how to trade around the darn draft and start adding some playmakers to this team. We already have 2 #1's next year and could parlay that into more picks next year. Lets go out and grab at least 3 quality players in the next 2 days and get some young playmakers on this team and worry about today rather than tommorow before we slide back to the middle of the AFC pack.

Why not use the Green Bay conservative approach and use all the picks. This would be a great way to offset all of the flashy additions made by the Jets and Miami. If we could grab 4 of the top 53 players in this deep draft, it might be a watershed year for us and allow us to build from within rather than signing "older" and flashier players like the Jets and Dolphins. I wish they would quit worrying so much about how to trade around the darn draft and start adding some playmakers to this team. We already have 2 #1's next year and could parlay that into more picks next year. Lets go out and grab at least 3 quality players in the next 2 days and get some young playmakers on this team and worry about today rather than tommorow before we slide back to the middle of the AFC pack.

want some cheese with that whine?

The official bold prediction of the year.

We will trade one of our 2nd round picks for Albert Haynesworth and re-work his contract
We will trade one of 5th for Osi Umenyiora.
We will trade Adalius Thomas to anyteam that will take him for a 6th round pick.

We will draft either a WR,DT Jared Odrick, or an OLB/DE Brandon Graham.

Since every AFC East team is a 3-4, we will run a 4-3 with mixing in a 3-4. with Osi, Wilfork, Haynesworth, and Warren being the starting front 4, and have TBC and Graham/Odrick/Pryor come in on passing downs.

Crazy yes, but it would be a pretty good scenerio haha.

Just a gut feeling... I think the Pats use some of their 2011 picks to trade into the 2010 draft.

I think they LOVE this draft and see a ton of players that could help them. Next year... not so much.

You really like Odrick, eh?

Yes. I honestly believe he's the best 3-4 DE in the draft and should be fully capable of filling the hole at DE left by the trade of Seymour.

Yes. I honestly believe he's the best 3-4 DE in the draft and should be fully capable of filling the hole at DE left by the trade of Seymour.

Fair enough.

Guess I'll have to take advantage of the slow work day and watch some Youtube.

MY prediction

We trade a two to move UP in the First round to pick a very big Defensive player

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes