PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official "our defense is horrible" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Ray...logged on here and thought I was missing something with all the end of the world threads and posts.

I should have written my posts pre season when I predicted exactly this. We have two players on defense you could consider experienced in our defense (I'm considering Meriweather still not yet mature). two. We are going to make mistakes. More mistakes than big plays, which we will make too, due to athleticism.

As long as we are disciplined, I'm fine with waiting for the big plays.

Pats best defense was the run game that kept our defense off the field. They didn't look all that good but I'm glad they looked worse during first half than second half. I'm glad light bulb in O'Brien's head went on and he started running the ball against Bill defense that were keying on passes.

ps bit surprised I don't see any 'Law Firm is freaking awesome' thread yet...

You got it
The 2nd half run game won the match
3 and out forced throws to Welker and Moss were conspicuously missing.
Good on the OC for finally figuring out the formula.
Bout freakin time you moron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The D is young and inexperienced, its full of leaders though and it will get better as the season progresses.

I expect huge improvement after the bye week when BB has had time to tweak things.

What have you seen that makes you feel so confident that a team that just gave up a combined 58 points to Sanchez/Fitzpatrick led teams will suddenly become NASTY this season?

I HOPE I'm proven wrong and you can bump this thread later and have a good laugh at me, but sadly I don't see this defense getting significantly better this year.

What has kept me optimistic is i have seen flashes from our players... Its consistency that is hurting a very young team. Little things are sustaining drives e.g Guyton taking out 2 guys thus giving them a third and long, sanders whiffing on a tackle which would have been a gain of one or none but ended up being 17. Spikes great hit , the growth of brace.

All these things give me hope but your right fitzpatrick did put up 23 points this game against our D but i still retain hope of improvement

I know this is hard for many on this board and that this will fall on deaf ears and blind eyes.

But here it goes:
Two drives started in NE territory:
NE 40 = FG
NE 37 = TD (bad individual play by Merriweather on 3rd down)

7 points came off a kick return.

That means the Pats Defense allowed 13 points when the Bills had to actually drive more than 40 yards to score.

5 times the Bills were inside the 30 yard line with the following results:

3 FG's (One drive started on the NE 40)
1 TD (again the drive started at NE's 37)
1 INT

Given the fact that our Red Zone defense last season was among the league's worst. I find these stats to be a bigger positive than any negative that can be brought up. This defense is learning how to play NFL defense and the stats above is a huge leap forward.

And for the crowd that will pointing out that the red zone is the 20 yard line and in, I say this: No sh!t, and just to save you time typing. The Bills had 1 TD, 1 FG and 1 INT in the "Red Zone". 33% TD rate is much better than last year's 75% or so (going off memory).

Last edited:
Wilfork is the only "leader" on our defense.

Mayo seemed like he could be one, but his play doesn't back it up.

I'm sorry but being pessimistic for pessimism's sake is just annoying mayo had a great game today. if you want to pick flaws look at the young db's missing some assignments

I'm sorry but being pessimistic for pessimism's sake is just annoying mayo had a great game today. if you want to pick flaws look at the young db's missing some assignments

That's not the case at all, I'm just expressing thoughts many other users agree with. Instead of the ol' "Stop complaining about the defense, they're young which automatically means they'll improve into Pro-Bowlers by December"

Instead of "Bend but Don't Break", Pats is "Break, but Don't Break into Too Many Pieces"....

That's not the case at all, I'm just expressing thoughts many other users agree with. Instead of the ol' "Stop complaining about the defense, they're young which automatically means they'll improve into Pro-Bowlers by December"

I don't think anybody have said they'll become Pro-Bowlers. We have 2 new starters on D-line, 2 new starters on linebackers and 2 new starters on secondary. That's 6 out of 11(granted this is their base 3-4 formation and they play a lot of nickel) and of those 6, 3 are rookies and 2 are second year players, although Brace as well as may be rookie. It takes veteran players couple games to gel as a team. You screaming 'they suck' instead of looking at upside of having such young players getting valuable game experience just seem silly. Its painful and I'll admit, I had my share of 'come effing come on. they are effing Bill!' moments today but I'm satisfied the fact that I did notice some improvements from couple players. Give it time and relax a bit.

I know this is hard for many on this board and that this will fall on deaf ears and blind eyes.

But here it goes:
NE 40 = FG

That means the Pats Defense allowed 13 points when the Bills had to actually drive more than 40 yards to score.

1 INT

Given the fact that our Red Zone defense last season was among the league's worst. I find these stats to be a bigger positive than any negative that can be brought up. This defense is learning how to play NFL defense and the stats above is a huge leap forward.

And for the crowd that will poing out that the red zone is the 20 yard line and in, I say this: No sh!t, and just to save you time typing. The Bills had 1 TD, 1 FG and 1 INT in the "Red Zone". 33% TD rate is much better than last year's 75% or so (going off memory).

Good post. The red zone defense looked tough today, especially against a great backfield, smart and efficient QB and big athletic receivers. This defense is an evolving group. You point out the special teams TD that was distressing but not the defense's fault. The D will get better and the Bills will help the Pats out in the division before this season is over.

Yes, call me a "chicken little" blah, blah, blah. But maybe you can merge all similar threads that will be made in here and call it a day.

Anways I'm sorry, but that was the final straw today. 30 points to the WORST offense in the NFL? The worst offense in the NFL's backup quarterback? At home? SERIOUSLY? A stat came up during the game that the Bills were 0-40 in their last forty 3rd & 10+ attempts and what do you know, they convert right after that.

The defense impressed me once this season, the first half against the Bengals. Ever since then they have been pure trash. Allowing Mark Sanchez and Ryan Fitzpatrick led offenses to score 28 and 30 points respectively is scary.

Can this team make the playoffs? Yes, but I see our peak being 10-6 at best. This defense is just awful and we haven't even played a Top 10 quarterback yet.

Now go ahead, give this star one thread and try to tell me that our defense has performed well or how we'll magically get better (against better teams at that)

I read these threads with a tube of lube at the ready.

Good post. The red zone defense looked tough today, especially against a great backfield, smart and efficient QB and big athletic receivers. This defense is an evolving group. You point out the special teams TD that was distressing but not the defense's fault. The D will get better and the Bills will help the Pats out in the division before this season is over.

Folks want to harp on the D but when presented with normal field position they did well. It was a total team effort - all three phases of the game - that contributed to Buffalo scoring 30 points.

Defense - 13
Offense - 7
ST's - 10

I think a thread titled "our ST's are horrible" would be more fitting for this game.

But why let little things like FACTS get in the way of a good ol' negative nancy ***********...:confused2:

Folks want to harp on the D but when presented with normal field position they did well. It was a total team effort - all three phases of the game - that contributed to Buffalo scoring 30 points.

Defense - 13
Offense - 7
ST's - 10

I think a thread titled "our ST's are horrible" would be more fitting for this game.

But why let little things like FACTS get in the way of a good ol' negative nancy ***********...:confused2:

Wake up. The defense stinks

Next monday night in here after the Dolphins game,I expect a lot of this....:enranged: :wha: :violent: :ugh:

And me sitting back and :popcorn:

Wake up. The defense stinks

Ok... if you say so. I see a bunch of young talented players that are still learning how to play together, especially in the secondary. I mean they only had two picks and if Chung wasn't late on his zone responsibilities they have a 3rd pick, instead it resulted in a TD.

Yup - they are terrible, will that help you sleep better?

But here it goes:
NE 40 = FG

1 INT

And for the crowd that will pointing out that the red zone is the 20 yard line and in, I say this: No sh!t, and just to save you time typing. The Bills had 1 TD, 1 FG and 1 INT in the "Red Zone". 33% TD rate is much better than last year's 75% or so (going off memory).

Yeah that's why some of us were saying it wasn't AS bad as it looked in the other thread and got slammed for it. IMO the defense was really only responsible for 17-20 pts, which is still too much considering it was the Bills. So I'd say the defense right now is definitely pretty weak, but not ready to label it awful just yet. As I said before the season I'm not going to overreact to the good or bad early on,

But here it goes:
NE 40 = FG

1 INT

Excellent, excellent points.

One and all.

Time and experience, all you squealing Chicken Littles: That's all it'll take. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back