PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official "our defense is horrible" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say one thing though............

7 Points were allowed by Special Teams (Spillers return)

and in the NYJ game, our defense had terrible field position and got tired because BRADY threw two bad INT's.

so our defense isnt as bad as it seems, but its still bad.

Its not bad period.

Have you ever watched a 2005-07 suns run and gun offense? Nash an co would score so quickly and fluid but when the other team did the same thing to them they couldn't defend and were to tired to play d.
The pats have a nfl version of that.

TB12 would score fast and bam just like that the defense has to return to the field after 3-7 plays and less than 3 minutes. The next series the opponents already seen enough of the offense to exploit them right away.

The patriots DEFENSE HAS ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY, HELL GO BACK AND WATCH SUPERBOWL 38 and see how easy jake was able to torch their DEFENSE in the 4th quarter.

The pats need to play like they did in 2006...... The big plays are way too obvious and their defense can't handle being back on the field that quickly.

Last edited:
HA!!!! I will say this....and it could be wishful thinking but i still want to believe it. If they're giving up 30 to teams in november and december....then they're effed and not going anywhere. I'm hoping for the "young/improve" mold as the season goes along. Not how you start....how you finish.

Of course. There's always that hope with young teams. If Brace, Cunningham, and the CB's can improve, this defense will take a huge leap by the end of the year. Right now, though, there are some serious problems that just might be exposed next week against a strong running game and competent passing game in Miami.

Meanwhile, Romeo's Chiefs have given up 38.

that is quite a stat.......Crennel is a genius....don't know all the chiefs def personnel but that is impressive

Fair question, Pete, and I respect your wish to subvert your own ego to the fortunes of our Beloved Team.

Your answer...

HISTORY.

I have seen...HISTORY.

And HISTORY tells me: WAIT.

Systems take TIME to make sense.

Systems take TIME...to become Second Nature.

But our System WILL become Second Nature to these guys.

It just takes...TIME.

Are you saying young, inexperienced players take time to become wise, instinctive, experienced players? What a novel thought.

Last edited:
You are so right... Pitt's D reminds me of us in 2001-2004.......maybe even better. Good Defenses and a decent offense WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS........maybe in a year or two we will have that recipe back. Baltimore may possibly be beatable but we are not beating Pitt.....

lol we better make some big improvements because ****tsburgh is going to embarrass us they way we've been playing.

So now we've decided that Butler is officially a bust? Thanks for the update, fellas. Should have called this the "Welcome to the Ignore List" thread.

Of course he's a bust. The only logical course of action is to find some player on another team we didn't draft, trade half our team for him, then hope he fits our system.

It's not like you can reasonably expect young players to learn, gain confidence and improve.

from the you are what you are department and the it is what it is department (or courtesy the Elias Sports Bureau):

NFL - Patriots Points Allowed Note

The Patriots have allowed 82 points through the first 3 games. That's the most points they've allowed through the first 3 games of a season under Bill Belichick and their most since 1994 when they gave up 105.

We are 2-1

Are you saying young, inexperienced players take time to become wise, instinctive, experienced players?

What a novel thought.

RIGHT?? :D

Simmer DOWN, Chicken Littles...

Excellence...takes...TIME. :cool:

We are 2-1

Thanks Ray...logged on here and thought I was missing something with all the end of the world threads and posts.

RIGHT?? :D

Simmer DOWN, Chicken Littles...

Excellence...takes...TIME. :cool:

Even competence takes time. It is very underrated.

We're used to watching a bunch of old men hobble around, but manage to be in the right place and make the right play.

Problem was pooping out in second halves and playoffs.

Now, we are 2-1, with a young team struggling for competence and making mistakes that should get somewhat better and will have more stamina in second halfs and the playoffs.

Of course, having a core of athletic players with experience makes for SB defenses such as we had. I like the talent in this group and look forward to hopefully watching them mature into just such a defense.

It's not easy, you're just all spoiled.

Aight. The D has been getting bent over and allowing the long power, umm, drives all through preseason and the regular season. They let the BILLS, the freaking BILLS back into the game over and over again just like with the Jets and the Bengals. They have not been able to make a stop when they needed to...

...until today. 2 4th quarter INT. Bam. Big plays, big stops when they were needed. Gifts? Probably. But instead of muffing them the guys made 'em. These were the first signs of life I've seen all season on this D.

So I say, let's see if they can build on this.

Even competence takes time. It is very underrated.

It's not easy, you're just all spoiled.

ya think?...if this squad goes 8-8 I'll be happy but dyam, a WIN is NEVER a negative.

Aight. The D has been getting bent over and allowing the long power, umm, drives all through preseason and the regular season. They let the BILLS, the freaking BILLS back into the game over and over again just like with the Jets and the Bengals. They have not been able to make a stop when they needed to...

...until today. 2 4th quarter INT. Bam. Big plays, big stops when they were needed. Gifts? Probably. But instead of muffing them the guys made 'em. These were the first signs of life I've seen all season on this D.

So I say, let's see if they can build on this.

You are WWWWAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY too positive and will get yelled down as a "homer". Just a warning.

The D got better as the game wore on today. The TV announcers said something important during the game that Brady and Belichick both said that the plan had them focus on themselves and execution all week - not on the Bills. There didn't seem to be much if any stunting on the line to take advantage of backfield sets, so that looked to be true.

This defense is so incredibly young - the three best players are Wilfork, a legit veteran, Merriweather and Mayo, both still developing themselves but clearly stepping up. I like the athleticism and closing speed of the LBs and the DBs.

If the offense can grind out drives like the 4th quarter once or twice a game to give these guys a blow and to give them time to be coached up, they could be tough by November.

* Of course, having a core of athletic players with experience makes for SB defenses such as we had.

* I like the talent in this group and look forward to hopefully watching them mature into just such a defense.

* It's not easy, you're just all spoiled.

There it is.

The D got better as the game wore on today. The TV announcers said something important during the game that Brady and Belichick both said that the plan had them focus on themselves and execution all week - not on the Bills. There didn't seem to be much if any stunting on the line to take advantage of backfield sets, so that looked to be true.

This defense is so incredibly young - the three best players are Wilfork, a legit veteran, Merriweather and Mayo, both still developing themselves but clearly stepping up. I like the athleticism and closing speed of the LBs and the DBs.

If the offense can grind out drives like the 4th quarter once or twice a game to give these guys a blow and to give them time to be coached up, they could be tough by November.

Nicely put, man.

The whole post.

I don't get it. Couldn't the pats make a trade and solve some of their issues? Its seems like the only big trades the pats do nowadays is trading down in the draft.

*...until today. 2 4th quarter INT. Bam. Big plays, big stops when they were needed. Gifts? Probably. But instead of muffing them the guys made 'em. These were the first signs of life I've seen all season on this D.

* So I say, let's see if they can build on this.

BINGO.

Greatness isn't built on Magic Tricks.

Greatness...is built on Execution: See Coach Vince Lombardi.

Pats best defense was the run game that kept our defense off the field. They didn't look all that good but I'm glad they looked worse during first half than second half. I'm glad light bulb in O'Brien's head went on and he started running the ball against Bill defense that were keying on passes.

ps bit surprised I don't see any 'Law Firm is freaking awesome' thread yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back