PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official "our defense is horrible" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say one thing though............

7 Points were allowed by Special Teams (Spillers return)

and in the NYJ game, our defense had terrible field position and got tired because BRADY threw two bad INT's.

so our defense isnt as bad as it seems, but its still bad.

Last edited:
What have you seen that makes you feel so confident that a team that just gave up a combined 58 points to Sanchez/Fitzpatrick led teams will suddenly become NASTY this season?

I HOPE I'm proven wrong and you can bump this thread later and have a good laugh at me, but sadly I don't see this defense getting significantly better this year.

Fair question, Pete, and I respect your wish to subvert your own ego to the fortunes of our Beloved Team.

Your answer...

HISTORY.

I have seen...HISTORY.

And HISTORY tells me: WAIT.

Systems take TIME to make sense.

Systems take TIME...to become Second Nature.

But our System WILL become Second Nature to these guys.

It just takes...TIME.

No pass rush + Darius Butler being a Bust = Our Defense getting passed on with ease

3rd downs will always get converted

Teams will be able to make big comebacks in the 2nd half

Why? because we have no pass rush and no #2 CB

Heh.

I'm tempted to say "I'll remember you said that."

But, truth be told, your post is as generic...as it is ignorant.

You will not be remembered.

So now we've decided that Butler is officially a bust? Thanks for the update, fellas. Should have called this the "Welcome to the Ignore List" thread.

Last edited:
Well to be fair for the defense, one TD was a kick return, the other off a fumble, and a FG, after a holding penalty and good field position.

With that said, the Pats D is more holes, as much as I love the rookie Mcourtney, is how much I hate every other CBN on this team. The LBs are overrated as all hell. Mayo I hate to say it, is horrible in coverage, and is useless to this team right now. The middle of the field is wide open, the Pats generate no pass pass rush. The one thing they seem to excel at with all this speed is the blitz, and both vs the Jets and Bills, it has worked. But they blitz like once a half, and they just play that awful soft zone that any QB can pick apart, and that never works. Peyton Manning will set records vs this defense, if the Pats O doesn't keep good time of possession vs the Colts, than the Colts will drop 50 on this team.

Growing pains. Also, I thought the Bills offense looked pretty good. May not last, but they played with a lot of fire for the new QB.

I'm happy to be 2-1 with a very young team. The second half play calling and running was outstanding IMO. My biggest beef.

Using the word "horrible" to describe the Pats defense just might be an understatement. It's a complete mess right now. Will they be better later in the season? Let's hope so because all of the offensive coordinators with games left on the Pats schedule are going to watch today's game film and drool out of both sides of their mouths.

No pass rush + Darius Butler being a Bust = Our Defense getting passed on with ease

3rd downs will always get converted

Teams will be able to make big comebacks in the 2nd half

Why? because we have no pass rush and no #2 CB

And after three games played, you already know this is how it will be all season??

Come back here in December and then we'll see - until then - I prefer to take the win and be happy we are 2-1 (3-0 was there for the taking and I put that loss more on the offense then the defense, by the way).

I dont care if we win by 33 or 3 -a win is a win - savor it, don't let it ruin your day.

Fair question, Pete, and I respect your wish to subvert your own ego to the fortunes of our Beloved Team.

Your answer...

HISTORY.

I have seen...HISTORY.

And HISTORY tells me: WAIT.

Systems take TIME to make sense.

Systems take TIME...to become Second Nature.

But our System WILL become Second Nature to these guys.

It just takes...TIME.

What you fail to understand is TIME could very well mean 1 or more years to develop into something...and probably it will take that long at minimum to have a defense that teams are not going to roll over,If some of you are expecting this team to miraculously gel into a formidable defense in a few weeks you are kidding yourselves...it is what it is....for this year,anyway - if we win games we will win most of those where we put 35 on the board...a blind man can see this.

In 2 years this defense MAY become something special or it MAY not...between now and 2 years from now expect a lot of uncertainty and unexpected results.

We could sure use a couple of veteran playmakers at CB and OLB next offseason to make it easier to get better faster,until then expect high scoring affairs or just flat out bad games.

from the you are what you are department and the it is what it is department (or courtesy the Elias Sports Bureau):

NFL - Patriots Points Allowed Note

The Patriots have allowed 82 points through the first 3 games. That's the most points they've allowed through the first 3 games of a season under Bill Belichick and their most since 1994 when they gave up 105.

Relax. As long as the Offense puts up 40 or so points a week, they'll be in every game deep into the Fourth Quarter. :eek:

Last edited:
from the you are what you are department and the it is what it is department (or courtesy the Elias Sports Bureau):

The Patriots have allowed 82 points through the first 3 games. That's the most points they've allowed through the first 3 games of a season under Bill Belichick and their most since 1994 when they gave up 105.

Meanwhile, Romeo's Chiefs have given up 38.

Honestly at this point after this game, I have finally accepted that the defense will not be any good
Yeah, pretty much. I had a tiny bit of hope before this game but giving up that much to the league's worst offense is just unexcusable.

And the Pats went 10-6 in that 1994 campaign.

ETA: Just checked Pro Football Reference, and no team of which Belichick has been the head coach has ever given up this many points through the first 3 games, going all the way back to the Browns.

Last edited:

Yeah, but there's absolutely nothing wrong on that side of the ball, though. They're fine. :bricks:

Meanwhile, Romeo's Chiefs have given up 38.

Well, I'm on the "the D is PUTRID" side of things, but the Chiefs personnel is better and if you think the Pats have played some stinker O's -- the Jets, the Bills -- look at KC's opponents so far.

Yeah, but there's absolutely nothing wrong on that side of the ball, though. They're fine. :bricks:

HA!!!! I will say this....and it could be wishful thinking but i still want to believe it. If they're giving up 30 to teams in november and december....then they're effed and not going anywhere. I'm hoping for the "young/improve" mold as the season goes along. Not how you start....how you finish.

Well, I'm on the "the D is PUTRID" side of things, but the Chiefs personnel is better and if you think the Pats have played some stinker O's -- the Jets, the Bills -- look at KC's opponents so far.

San Diego would put 40 on this defense...and will in a few weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey