PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official LB Jamie Collins is an Insane Athlete Thread.

He's crazy athletic. If he can put it together at the NFL level and work on his pass rushing technique, he'll be exactly what the doctor ordered back there. At the very least, he should be able to improve our coverage vs. RB's and TE's over the middle in his first year out.

Crazy talent for sure. I'm hopeful that we'll see those skills translate to dominating performance out on the football field. Until then, I'm sure he'll be able to follow the instructions "get the QB" and "cover the TE".

Not sure where that came from but there is no comparison in the "explosion".

VJ : Collins 41.5, Crable 28
LJ : Collins 11'7", Crable 9'3"

Being a track & field athlete I have to correct this, sorry haha.

Broad jump: Collins 11'7" vs Crable 9'3"

LJ = Long jump which is a running start...I bet Collins would easily be jumping over 25' in this event while Crable might crack 20' based on their broad jumps

Sounds similar to what some people were proposing in regard to Chandler Jones.

Exactly, which is why I pretty much ignore when prognosticators talk about how raw someone is. The guy's played four years of college football, this isn't Okoye we're talking about. I expect that he'll contribute from day one.

Ups. Heart attack serious ups.

Also, why is the appropriate reaction to witnessing a poster-izing in person to spin around on your back?

Your second sentence made me literally laugh out loud. Everybody must breakdance after a posterizing dunk.

Collins is definitely a boom or bust guy. It'll be interesting to see if his athleticism translates to the field.
But that what I love about Collins. His athleticism HAS already translated on the field. Its not like he's one of those guys who wins the underwear olympics but doesn't have the on field production to match it. On a HORRIBLE football team this kid had production stats that matched guys like Mingo, Jordan, etc, or in a number of cases BETTERED them.

Key among those stats that I saw was he had the best "missed tackle" percentage (3%) in his group. That's an important stat. It says that 97% of the time Collins took off after someone he got him on the ground. That's an awesome percentage. True he may be raw in that he didn't get the best of coaching, but with 90 tackles, (a great number for an OLB) 10 sacks (with no one else to protect him), and 5 passes defended, he is a lot more than "just" a raw development project.

True he needs to get about 15 lbs heavier, and a lot stronger. Its true that he needs to refine his techniques, or in other words get some decent coaching, but its also true that Collins is probably the most explosive athlete that BB has ever drafted, and he doesn't get enough credit for what he produced on the field. If he had played at Alabama or LSU, the Pats wouldn't have had a shot at him in the first round let alone in the back half of the 2nd.

Now that we've all had a chance to go over his measurables, on field production, and grasp his potential versatility, was there anyone taken between 29 and 52 that you would have rather have taken? I was a big Margus Hunt fan going into the draft, and frankly had never heard of Jamie Collins. But now that I have had the chance to take a closer look, I think BB took the right guy

If you follow Draft Breakdown on Youtube, there's a few Jamie Collins' video's on there to watch, including the game at Nebraska, where he faced constant double teams. He finished with a sack (a good one at that) and a few tackles, but it was more interesting to see how he would handle an NFL-quality (or as near as) O-line and blocking assignments.

There's a couple more on there which will leave you saying "wow", but I found the Nebraska one the most interesting.

I honestly have no idea what to expect from Collins early on. Coming from the worst team in the country, he presumably hasn't received very good coaching to prepare him. Yet as a converted DB, he's not the typical raw pass rusher whose responsibilities in college never extended beyond "head for the QB with your hair on fire." And he did play every down.

Southern Miss may have been the worst team in the country last year. But, they are a pretty good program that made a horrific coaching hire. Ellis Johnson. Their previous coach left for UNC, Larry Fedora. They were 12-2 the year before and beat an undefeated 7th Ranked Houston team with Case Keenum for conf. championship at Houston the previous year. This kid isn't coming in from Ghana trying to figure out how to play football. He's a tremendous athlete who appears to have outgrown a couple of positions.

Hi there! Debbie Downer checking in.
I remember all those "insane" threads about Patrick Chung we used to have here. :(

Shawn+Crable+jumps+over+Purdue.jpg

Did Crable shatter as soon as he landed?

But that what I love about Collins. His athleticism HAS already translated on the field. Its not like he's one of those guys who wins the underwear olympics but doesn't have the on field production to match it. On a HORRIBLE football team this kid had production stats that matched guys like Mingo, Jordan, etc, or in a number of cases BETTERED them.

Key among those stats that I saw was he had the best "missed tackle" percentage (3%) in his group. That's an important stat. It says that 97% of the time Collins took off after someone he got him on the ground. That's an awesome percentage. True he may be raw in that he didn't get the best of coaching, but with 90 tackles, (a great number for an OLB) 10 sacks (with no one else to protect him), and 5 passes defended, he is a lot more than "just" a raw development project.

True he needs to get about 15 lbs heavier, and a lot stronger. Its true that he needs to refine his techniques, or in other words get some decent coaching, but its also true that Collins is probably the most explosive athlete that BB has ever drafted, and he doesn't get enough credit for what he produced on the field. If he had played at Alabama or LSU, the Pats wouldn't have had a shot at him in the first round let alone in the back half of the 2nd.

Now that we've all had a chance to go over his measurables, on field production, and grasp his potential versatility, was there anyone taken between 29 and 52 that you would have rather have taken? I was a big Margus Hunt fan going into the draft, and frankly had never heard of Jamie Collins. But now that I have had the chance to take a closer look, I think BB took the right guy

Great post, I agree 100%. Just shows that people (ME specifically) sometimes overreact, just because Jamie Collins wasnt a BIG name. I would have been thrilled with Margus Hunt at #52, was immediately pissed when I heard Jamie Collins. Like in another thread, I was texting a friend (a Jet's fan) when the pick came up, and I texted "WTF ? who the hell ?", and before the highlights ended, I texted back "Man this guys is a beast !" lol.

I have to admit I had studied the WR more than any position, therefore my lack of knowledge about Jamie Collins.

My gut says that if Tank Caradine had been there at 29 we would have made the pick. When he was gone along with a few interesting DB, there was really no one there that excited that wasn't a WR, and you KNEW BB wasn't going to take one there.

My gut says that if Tank Caradine had been there at 29 we would have made the pick. When he was gone along with a few interesting DB, there was really no one there that excited that wasn't a WR, and you KNEW BB wasn't going to take one there.

But Tank Carradine was taken 40th overall, in the 2nd round.

I don't think he was all that enthused about the talent at that point, if he didn't take Carradine.

I think you are thinking of Sly Williams. Tank didnt go until the 3rd I think (actually number 40 overall).

I can dunk a basketball, but my god, I think our definition of dunking is vastly different... Hopefully his athleticism transitions well and he becomes Robin to Jones' Batman.

This guy scares the shizz out of me. I see the long arms and closing speed. Physically, he looks similar to aldon smith, but something about him reminds me of gary guyton. Words cannot describe how much I hated guyton.

Im just going to root for the guy with my fingers crossed.

Carradine was available at 29- 49ers ended up getting him in the second round. Still kinda bummed that we didn't get him, I think he'll be an impact player in the NFL.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back